• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Endeavour update

When stays'ls aren't being used are they furled or dropped to the deck? I have seen many paintings showing the Victory with no stays'ls at all.

When stays'ls aren't being used are they furled or dropped to the deck? I have seen many paintings showing the Victory with no stays'ls at all.

You should never use paintings as references for sail plans. They depict the ship in certain conditions, and 98 percent of the time in real life, ships don't carry all their sails. Almost every single ship built after the 1500's had some form of stays'l, and I'm willing to bet that there wasn't a single ship of the line built after the year 1650 without them. By 1700, they were as much a part of the ship rig as squares'ls.

If you don't see them set in paintings, the are probably furled, and the smaller, lighter ones are probably unbent and in the hold. The same goes for the royals, actually. Many vessels completely unbent the royal yards when they weren't being used for greater efficiency. (less heavy stuff aloft)

I made sure that what I suggested wouldn't interfere with the fores'l. (Although I did mean main t'gallant stays'l where I said fore t'gallant stays'l for the first setting)

You can use paintings for determining the shapes and sizes of individual sails, I suppose, as long as you keep in mind that not all the sails are shown. If you could find a sail diagram, that would work great... I know they're out there for other vessels, and a diagram for any large Napoleonic ship of the line would suffice.

Closest I could find to a sailplan for this size of ship and time period is this:
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/80925.html

I added two stays'ls to the RN_FirstRate to make it easier to tell apart from the HMS_Victory. I just tossed them up there and tinkered until they look ok to me. Let me know if they are off. They are easy to change.

This game is probably dying and is CTDing a lot, but methinks the 4 Victory class 1st rates are ok. They are on the FTP in my folder, in the "after beta 2" sub folder. :j3

The Dauntless and Endeavour will be finished soon.

There are some minor shape changes- I'll draw up a diagram and upload it tomorrow. It'll be easier to interpret than a couple convoluted paragraphs.

Edit: Make that Friday...

I finally got to do a little work on the Dauntless and Endeavour. Some sails were removed to make them easier to identify. Comments?

Sorry I didn't get the plans up... I've had more work to do lately than I expected. Both look very good in my opinion, but historically speaking, the second should be black, not blue. (blue paint of that specific color would have been exorbitantly expensive back then.) Other than that, you managed to get everything pretty good seamanship-wise.

Agreed, they look good to me. :onya

historically speaking, the second should be black, not blue. (blue paint of that specific color would have been exorbitantly expensive back then.)
The Dauntless is due for a texture upgrade soon, to better reflect the film, so hopefully that will sort things out.

Good! :cheers The HMS Dauntless and HMS Endeavour are on the FTP, in my folder, in the after beta 2 folder. These two can be dropped right into a beta 2.1 install with no problems.

There are a total of 8 of these ships with 4 of them being British. :j1 It is probably a good idea to remember that when repainting the Dauntless.

These ships are too good, being fast maneuverable and very hard hitting. It will be good to get back to smaller ships that give a more interesting game.

Well I guess you should talk to Legendary_Spider about the texture; he did say he'd work on it at some point.

Back