• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Frigate "Rossiya", 1728

For the control rope you did not allow for the pulleys. They would raise the line and make it a tripping hazard. It would be better to run the line through the deck and then along the ceiling of the lower deck next to the hull and then bring it up when it gets far enough back to pull the tiller effectively.

We aren't all that concerned with tripping hazards in the tall ship community. We have a similar tripping hazard attached to our helm on Pilgrim. Generally after a few days on the vessel you know where everything to avoid is, anyway.

Here's another update, this time with texturing in mind. :dance

I had been dreading the thought of having to modify the hull UVs, which would definitely be in a mess after the extensive changes made to the hull.
What's more, I made it clear that I wanted to make the ship as compatible with the existing hull textures as possible.

So, I decided to see what I could do with both the UVs and the hull texture. The reality is, the new hull UVs had to be redone from scratch, so will only fit the old textures if they are heavily modified.
This is mostly due to the new hull being too different, but also because the old textures are of too low a quality to really compliment it.
Anyway, I have started modifying the Frigate1 hull texture using a combination of existing planking textures, and here is the result so far:

Frigate1_new16.jpg

Frigate1_new17.jpg

Similar modifications will be needed for the other two variants I plan to replace: Frigate2 and FR_Frigate. (RN_ and US_Frigate would be better off replaced with one of Captain Armstrong's ships)
So, what do you think so far?

It looks nice and smooth without being cluttered. The old textures are very fuzzy and need to be replaced. The new system makes it easier to create variants anyway.

Looks great!:onya One question though: Is the FR_Frigate currently painted red? because that scheme was popular during the french revolution, but not before. So If you are going to replace it I would recommend something more like the boussole.

My God... That looks amazing compared to the stock model. I would even consider using it ingame.

Glad you like it, mates!

Hylie: To clarify, this is all one texture, not multiple separate ones, so creating new variants of the ship is not as simple as hex-editing the model.
In fact, it was a pain to get a good result, because I had to follow the curvature of the planking in the old texture when using the new planking, which involved a lot of trial and error in GIMP.

Cap'n Armstrong: Yes, FR_Frigate is red and black, but you're right that it would be better off with a Boussole-style texture. Ironically, the Boussole itself should be using red and black instead. xD

Awww, that is a disappointment. This brings up another question.

How hard is it to paint a ship like this if the hull is not modified? There are some otherwise good ships with very low rez skins.

Well, it really depends on your skill with Photoshop or GIMP (or a similar program).
For example, to get the white planking on the hull, I took plank_white.tga, scaled it down to the same size as the hull texture's planks, created a tiled version to cover the width of the texture, and added a curve distort to get the right shape. You'd need to use a similar process on other stock textures.

I just realised that there are three more frigate models I could replace with the new one: SP_Frigate, NL_Frigate47 and PiratFrigateSup.
The latter two have very distinctive and detailed textures, but they would need to be redone to the same extent as the example above anyway, and that might not please everyone.

Are there any objections to replacing those ships and textures? I can try to make the new high-res textures as faithful as possible.

I'm in love, she looks so amazing. This will definetly be a ship that can be included in GOF2, and will be a ship i will be on the look out to capture right from the start. Really impressive work Armada.:bow

Cheers mate, I'm glad you like her. Have to say she's my favourite project to date. :keith

No problem bud.:onya

If she is an example of what you can do then here's to many morwe great projects in the future.:cheers

More projects? Hehe... at this stage, who knows. I currently have nothing planned for when this and the Providence are finished.
I'd love to do this kind of upgrade for more stock ships, but what made the frigate stand out was that we found the plans for her real-life counterpart.
That was quite a surprise at first, but when I saw what the real ship looked like, I couldn't resist. :D

Oh MK, i know you have ship plans liying around all over the place.:D

No it would be nice for you to work on more ships one day, replacie some of the old models. I know the Bermuda Sloop was a PA project and i know many hold her at heart, it would be nice to see her updated though (given a nice new make over). I like the Berm Sloop so don't everyone pounce on me because of what i said, i just think she would look amazing with a make over. But ofcause plans is the problem, but i'm sure if someone was willing to work on her one day, that MK would be able to conjure up a ship plan or two of a Berm Sloop. It could be something as simple as new looking cannons and rigging or what ever.

Lol, Captain Armstrong has quite a collection of plans, too. However, I prefer upgrading existing models to building new ones from scratch.
Heck, even this one still has remnants of the stock frigate's hull, but you'd never know because of how extensively I've changed it. :wp

Plus, new cannons and rigging have worked wonders for several ships lately, and I can do that sort of upgrade fairly quickly.

Your doing a very good job bud, bringing back to life many models that people have forgot about or avioded capturing, i know some ships in GOF 1.2 people have removed "Shark" and "Linearship" been the most removed ships, i don't mind either of those ships but thats just me. A few others might not mind them either, but its seems they are the 2 favourite ships to be removed or ignored.

I tried to update the Bermuda Sloop last spring but there is too much wrong with it. It needs to be replaced with a completely new one.

It's been a while since the last update... so here's a preview of what I've been up to lately:

Frigate1_new18.jpg

Frigate1_new19.jpg

I've mostly made progress in the UV mapping and texture department, to get a better idea of how she's going to look when finished.
There's not really much left to model, such as various deck components and the contents of the cabin, so I'm quite pleased with how she's coming along. :D

Also found a nice quick way of exporting the final product from Maya 2012 to Maya 5.0 (for GM export) using FBX format, so I don't have to do it one component at a time via OBJ format.

Back