• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0

Hello everyone! :cheers
First, this is awesome mod! I just love it!:onya
Second, I have few questions.
1. How can I change damage done to hull and crew by cannonballs and bombs?
I tried changing it in mod options between COAS, inbetween and GoF settings, but always there is some unbalance.
In coas setting you kill with cannonballs (and bombs) too much crew and do nothing damage to hull, inbetween is same, and in GoF setting you don't damage anything at all, unless you have ship full of powder and bombs. I know my cannoners aren't best in Carribean, they are just average, but it's not realistic actually. Bombs should destroy hull and crew, balls hull. So, that's why I ask you, where should I edit damage done by bombs and balls? I tried searching in installation folder in programs, but I couldn't find it. I already edited some crew stats, and ships, characters, with use of your tutorial, which is very helpful. But I can't find where to edit damage done by weapons. :read
2. Also, I tried to edit cannon damage and range. I wanted better range for caliber 48, so I found CANNONS folder, but didn't know what to do from there. I edited few numbers, but nothing changed. That's why I thought it's maybe wrong folder, but tried searching elsewhere and didn't find anything. So, can you help me? :)
Thank you very much!

p.s. Sorry if there are mistakes in this text, my English is not very good, I'm Croatian, and I know just basics :p

Luke159 is the expert here so you should look in his RTBL topic for clues - and - you should also look at the Nixarass cannon damage mod.

In addition, you realize that all the damage dynamics are tied directly to you and your gunner's skill level, skills and perks. Because of this I often like to play on Mod Options "In Between" starting out, and when I level up to about 15 to 20 I switch over to "Realistic". I feel like you become too deadly when you get to higher levels so I like realistic at that point.

MK

Thanks, MK!
Only problem, as I see it, is that bombs kill too much crew and don't damage so much hull, and that's why you can't sink ships, and I love doing that.

p.s. Thanks Hyde, I'll check it out! :)

Last edited:
We made bombs like that on purpose in GOF. Because bombs aren't a real historically accurate ammunition we kinda looked at em like they were grenade bombs that would be thrown before boarding. We almost made their range almost nothing so that they could only be fired when you were right next to the enemy ship, but we never could agree or finish on the work we started there. We wanted to make them good cannon killers though and I think Luke achieved that so that you get a lot more critical hits with them, but they are really inaccurate and go all over the place until you get close up.

MK

What's that thing with two Flying Dutchmans?
I conquered one and then realized it's some weak version. Then checked ship_init and saw there are two of them. Strong one is "quest ship" and weak one is just in class 3. But after quest Ship of Souls you don't get "quest" dutchman, you get "regular" dutchman. Is that made on purpose, or?

I am back to AoP2 and I tested the new GOF 2.1.0 Beta Standalone a bit. In every longer seafight it mostly now crashes again. :(
2.09 was much more stable for me.

tiny bug, but many versions now have it:
plz correct the incorrect bomb dmg for hulls in the initGoods.c

if(RTBL == 1)
{ // = If RTBL is enabled
Goods[GOOD_BOMBS].DamageHull = 0.5; <--- to low

Downloading this new version,

God, i had fun times with GOF1.1.

Sorry for my ignorance, i have heard that you have source code of it, have i missed any fixes or super mod of some kind?
In my opinion, CoaS is way better looking and has better atmosphere than PoC, why not put all effort in making this better?

Thank you.

First there was POTC and a mod team for it. Then when COAS came out a mod team developed, but they ran into problems and disbanded, leaving only the POTC mods.

There is one person still working on COAS and his Eras Mod should be released this year.

POTC is nearing the end of its life and the modders are moving on. Some are working on HOO and some will move to COAS later on.

Mmm hmm. The version of GoF! floating around is the final version.
In that case, would it perhaps be time to make a proper installer and post it on the ModDB?

I can't do it myself anymore, but I'm still around for a few weeks to assist with this.

I'm back with AOP GOF and I played peter blood and I have a problem I choose pirate nation now every city hates me and I don't have enough money to buy trading license cause it worth 180,000 per month lmao. Is there any guide how to level up your own stats so that I can level up my stealth to unable to get detected.

Last edited:
Ok going to try GOF 2.1.0 patched test thing. I had 1.3 test and it was super buggy.Been testing and playing POTC the last update and want to see which is better.I guess both have good stuff but nothing beats the better graphics on AOP Coas and the real map of the Carib inlcuding spanish main. I remember it been quite hard and i had only taken a few ships when in potc for same time i'd done so much more. Well 2 very similar games and don't know when to play one or the other.

Yes but not all the Spanish Main and many islands missing,well can't have it all lol!! Ok don't get mad at me for switching around it's just temporary. I'll try play both.Been using potc today,started downloading GOF and want to try it again.

Played la croix 1690 and Havana was full of NPC's inside store,governor and some other dressed in ruff collar style clothes and beard. I see no one got to arrange those custom models. I tried but could'nt find an editor.Hope not too find something similar in GOF. Maybe ill find a Russian cossack! lol!

Yesterday I changed form GOF Eras mod to just GOF since MK wants some more time to develop Eras. So far v2.0.9 has been stable with no issues. No problems with wind, sails or sounds. The atmosphere and improved textures are fantastic

After installing GOF 2.0.9 I noticed the moon is tiny. Probably the correct angler size but difficult to see in game. Anyway to change it for myself? Are there any barrier reefs in AOP2 or with GOF? The whitewater along the shore line is awesome in GOF and could also be used to indicate hidden reef if its possible to put them in. Oh yes, I also noticed the bottom coral texture. Nice.

Thanks.

Harmsway

Yesterday I changed form GOF Eras mod to just GOF since MK wants some more time to develop Eras. So far v2.0.9 has been stable with no issues. No problems with wind, sails or sounds. The atmosphere and improved textures are fantastic

After installing GOF 2.0.9 I noticed the moon is tiny. Probably the correct angler size but difficult to see in game. Anyway to change it for myself? Are there any barrier reefs in AOP2 or with GOF? The whitewater along the shore line is awesome in GOF and could also be used to indicate hidden reef if its possible to put them in. Oh yes, I also noticed the bottom coral texture. Nice.

Thanks.

Harmsway

That's interesting because I'm using Luke's wind values so there should be no difference unless you changed the weather in mod options. Sail handling is no different either except that 2.0 has the later ships with better rigging, so that's probably why it seems that way. As far as sounds go, Luke is using the older fmodex file which I suspect might work better with some computer set ups and older sound cards.

No reefs or reefs planned. There's the little islands and shoals around Bermuda. Luke changed the moon out purposely to the POTC moon because he thought the AOP moon was too large. Just look up moon.tga and change them out.

MK

The issues I had with wind and sail was my own perception and was solved with your help for GOF Eras. The sound issue was strange and I was not able to overcome it other then changing over to GOF. Your Mod of course offers some beautiful period ships. I just needed to see for myself what the differences are with these Mods. Thanks for all your hard work, help and have great holiday season.

Harmsway

Where do i download the historical mod? I hope it has customised accurate period graphic models. Is there any good editor for TGA? Iam a historian any help needed let me know?

Back