• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0

Full new release? Niiiice! ModDB time!!! :dance

Are you able to do that? I have no more time left; have to leave home real early tomorrow and won't be back for four months.

Funny enough this is why I decided to combine the patch so that its a single install rather than having to install a patch or 2 later on. I have also included the final work I had sitting around for 2.0.9 which is small modifications to ships crews, turn rates, a few new ships (all ship related). That's why I figured I may aswell combine it all and then look into ModDB (never uploaded anything to that site or don't think I have) but tomorrow I will start to look into the procedure and hopefully by the Sunday it will all be done.

You got me. I tried to install patch instead of base mod. Silly me.:shock

Lol, well I recommend downloading the new version of GOF 2 because it adds a few more ships and combines all the patches already. The old GOF 2 and its patch 2.0.9 you could either store on a slave/external or you could delete because you don't need either. The only difference between the new version of GOF 2 and the oneyou have is a few new ships, some ships moved to their correct rank and some changes to crew sizes, turn rates and minimum and maximum calibures aswell as combing the patches for a simple install.

Glad the problem was fixed though, and don't worry I have done similar things in the past, like installing patch 2 over the mod and missing out patch 1 and then wondering why my game doesn't work.:facepalm

Iv noticed in eras mod of GOF you get some reputation decrease when you attack any ship even enemies with out having marque,is this so in GOF 2.o? Should at least if ur attacked first not have the decrease? Best way is to play middle hill and not be one or the other and when u need to up or decrease do some actions that will do that for you. If you are playing hero and righteous type best get them honest and good sailor types if not get the anti hero scumbag officers.

Hello, I just signed up to say this is a fantastic mod, I've dabbled with the Pirate games over the years and tried out some mods, but I love this one. I just recently decided to try out COAS for the first time and soon looked for the mods. Of course this is the one that appears to be the "main man" and I'm really enjoying it. I've only started out on Captain difficulty and with some of the more difficult mod options switched off.

Though strangely I couldn't seem to budge the cost to recruit crew members, with the mod options turned on or off there was no difference on the costs to recruit a sailor. I was struggling for hours as the few sailors I could afford were so easily killed in any kind of conflict, sometimes it would be a matter of one broadside from an equally shitty ship and I'd lose 2k worth of sailors and never stand a chance at winning a boarding battle. I did however manage to find the scripting for the crew recruitment costs and I lowered the multiplier so I could buy probably 3 sailors for the same price as it used to cost me for 1 and I began progressing. Should there have been an option for me to lower the recruit cost?.

I did have a small rage moment where I finally captured a merchant ship, to find he had 450 8lber cannons in his hold ( I think it was 8lbers if my memory serves me right ). Seeing that I had got really lucky and just got myself a fair amount of gold for a new character, I prepared both ships to sail back, thinking how I was going to spend my gold. But as soon as I returned to the world map a pirate vessel that I thought I remembered being miles away was now instantly on top of me, attacked me, then spawned right in the middle of my two damaged and low crewed boats, completely owning the both of them, xD.

I did get my revenge on the Pirates later on though when one of them relentlessly chased me blindly into a port, as he tried to escape the forts cannon fire I pursued him for miles until I eventually caught up with him, the crew had been wiped out and it was an easy victory. The boat was the class 6 "Sophie", a Pearl, which was apparently Jack Aubreys once upon a time. I'm still using it now actually as it has a nice hold size, carries enough crew to overpower merchant crews after wearing them down with cannon fire, it has a nice speed and seems to deal with the wind well. With it I captured a class 5 ship, I can't remember the strange name but it had 20 12lb cannons and only a slightly higher crew amount than my own ship, now I am sailing with both ships to plunder enemy countries Merchant shipping and having a lot of fun.

Anyone have any tips for a new player like myself of other ways I might find more fun to be had?. I am planning on building a cheap fleet and searching for an enemy war ship to attack. I will use my lesser ships to take the bulk of the punishment whilst hopefully gunning down the bigger ships crew and sails so I stand a chance at capturing it, is this a good idea?.

:ahoy

It sounds like you are getting the hang of it. The way I play is to start off cautiously until I get built up a little bit, then going on the attack. But there really is no "wrong" way to play.

Well, I don't have many tips, but good thing for earning huge amounts of money is smuggling. You can turn off realistic costs and weights, buy fast lugger, and then buy contraband and sell it to smuggler on other islands. After you save about 500k, you can buy more ships and officers, fill ships with illegal goods and earn even more money. I found out that buying Iron in Port au Prince and selling it to smugglers at Port Royale is very profitable. And if you are having problems with ships who hunt smugglers, you can sink your ships on your own while saving officers and crew. Before leaving area where you sold stuff to smugglers you remove officers from your ships, transfer cargo and crew to your main, and fast, ship, leave area and then just run away from those bloody soldiers. And then you just buy new ships, you already have officers and crew, so it will be cheap. I calculated that I spend about 150 000 gold on ships, and about 300 000 of gold on illegal good, but I earn 4 times more when selling, so it's quite profitable. In few hours you'll have millions of gold. Later you'll have some strong main ship which will board and sink military ships, so you'll be able to have huge galleons loaded with cargo without sinking them. That way I earned about 50 millions piasters (pieces of eight) in just one or two days! Of course, you'll earn much less with realistic prices and weights turned on, but still, one fast lugger will earn you lots of gold. :D
I hope my answer was helpful :p

p.s. And I'm playing on Commodore, with Peter Blood, and Admiral difficulty with Nathaniel Butler! :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and ideas! I am probably going to save the smuggling for another character on a harder difficulty :).

EDIT - nvm anyone that read the mission issue I wrote, I soon noticed some ships sailing to the beach, boarded and looted the gold from all of them and the mission succeeded. :)

Last edited:
Smuggling but those pesky soldiers or police always seem to follow me,so either iam useless at it or the game should be refined so those don't always appear.I personally think they appear too much and its not realistic. I think that a good addition would be the more you do business with a group of smugglers from an island the better and more confidence you have with them and prices or even offers given.Say you are also able to buy offer prices like a fence and black market.So smugglers can also become fence and black market sellers.Say some rare and more non legal stuff should be available at some locations. It''s just a suggest for ModernKnight and co!!

Smuggling but those pesky soldiers or police always seem to follow me,so either iam useless at it or the game should be refined so those don't always appear.I personally think they appear too much and its not realistic. I think that a good addition would be the more you do business with a group of smugglers from an island the better and more confidence you have with them and prices or even offers given.Say you are also able to buy offer prices like a fence and black market.So smugglers can also become fence and black market sellers.Say some rare and more non legal stuff should be available at some locations. It''s just a suggest for ModernKnight and co!!

I sold some slaves to the smugglers and the soldiers came too, but I had a feeling that perhaps your Stealth skill perhaps has something to do with this, i.e a higher stealth means less chance for soldiers, is your stealth skill high? do the soldiers ALWAYS come?

Last edited:
I seem to have encountered a bug; when I talk to the guy at the shipyard and ask if I can rig some coloured sails nothing happens and I get stuck in the dialogue screen. No options do anything and I can't exit the dialogue, so the only way out is to alt +F4. I'm just reinstalling everything to see if that helps, but I'm pretty sure that I installed it correctly before.

I seem to have encountered a bug; when I talk to the guy at the shipyard and ask if I can rig some coloured sails nothing happens and I get stuck in the dialogue screen. No options do anything and I can't exit the dialogue, so the only way out is to alt +F4. I'm just reinstalling everything to see if that helps, but I'm pretty sure that I installed it correctly before.

I have the same problem , when I talk with the guy from the shipyard and select rig some coloured sails nothing happens:aar and can only exit by killing the game.

Yes they do!! i mean this is AOP not Skyrim so i mean it's not really realistic that soldiers come everytime or what is the purpose of smuggling.Specially low end characters and beginners having to face so many soldiers. I also suggest that game not always finish in death and capture gives you options. Say if ur in jail you can bribe or try escape and also marooning etc..

Well, you could try NOT biting off more than you can chew. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

The soldiers don't always come. Unless you have bad stealth numbers. Once your character has leveled up a bunch and you have good stealth numbers they will only come occasionally. I do believe though if you have a bad reputation and are famous they also show up more often.

MK

New member, first post.
I played New horizons a couple of years ago, loved it but the earlier iteration of the the Storm engine refused to run for more than an hour on my computer. COAS ran perfectly, no crashes, so I decided to download GOF, since the PiratesAhoy! community is well know for being both thorough and supportive. So far absolutely loving GOF, a few things I'm not sure of;

Are there any good sources for in-game information on items, skills, ships etc.? not looking for a complete guide to everything, just some hints on what to look for/where to go.
Is the 2.0.9 I've downloaded from here the current/full version? (no patches I've missed?)
Are there any setting anyone can suggest to help COAS/GOF run smoothly? I'm experiencing infrequent crashes, normally in battles involving more than 2 nations, I can usually load up a few times and it will let me go through with the battle in the end though, so it's not really much of an issue. I'm aware that the storm engine is fairly horrible when it comes to compatibility and hardware support so I won't be disheartened if there's no solutions.

System spec;
H67MA-D2H-B3 1155 with Intel i5 @ 3.1 GHz
8gig G-skill DDR3 1333 RAM (I think it's 1333, might be 1600)
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (Limited@850MHz Max@1020MHz, 1gig DDR5)
Windows 7 64-bit OEM OS

Pretty stock mid-tower really. Few extra fans and lights and whatnot.

:ahoy

I'm not aware of any in game information. Just read the manual that comes with COAS.

The download in the 1st post is the latest version.

Every computer is different, so just tinker with it until you find the sweet spot. I never had any crashes but never got into battles involving more than 5-6 ships.

Back