• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0

I read the first part of the Arabella texture problems.
The ship textures location is noted in the ship files, just like what I did for longboats and other models.
I fixed a lot of these errors in my own personal installation when I discovered or upgraded them.
Check the program directory, as without looking I do not remember which ship text file specifies the textures and locations.
Since the Arabella was an original CoAS ship that was included in the base game, it is possible it was located in the root directory most likely.
Other modified "Arabellas" were used as added ships in GOF under the ships sub directory.
Using GM Viewer will by accident "redirect" to another identically named graphic overlay file if you are not careful.

The conversation "breaks" I have no idea what exactly went wrong, because the discussion is only partly described.

Hello guys

I tried fresh install wtih 1.4 patch and started a new game. Same thing as before. Many ships have 0.00 manueverability... I am starting to wonder if it was always like that and that maybe i just didnt notice it before...

Hello guys

I tried fresh install wtih 1.4 patch and started a new game. Same thing as before. Many ships have 0.00 manueverability... I am starting to wonder if it was always like that and that maybe i just didnt notice it before...

Nope none of the ships should show 0.00 maneuverability.

I read the first part of the Arabella texture problems.
The ship textures location is noted in the ship files, just like what I did for longboats and other models.
I fixed a lot of these errors in my own personal installation when I discovered or upgraded them.
Check the program directory, as without looking I do not remember which ship text file specifies the textures and locations.
Since the Arabella was an original CoAS ship that was included in the base game, it is possible it was located in the root directory most likely.
Other modified "Arabellas" were used as added ships in GOF under the ships sub directory.
Using GM Viewer will by accident "redirect" to another identically named graphic overlay file if you are not careful.

The conversation "breaks" I have no idea what exactly went wrong, because the discussion is only partly described.

As I discovered later, and written here, the problem was not with the Arabella -ship-, the problem was with the Arabella static model.

The one the game uses when you can swim to it, and board it.

The Arabella ship uses it's own, normal textures as it should. Wasn't any problem there. At all.

The static model , which is -not a ship-, but a part of the harbor, uses the texture in the textures root directory, which have the -same- name as the texture the ship model uses.

Just someone overwritten -long ago- the file at the Textures root with a -ship icon picture-, so we seen the blue background, and the masts wrapped onto the static ship model.
I corrected that issue, and instead the ship icon picture, I placed the Arabella model texture on the Textures root, where the static model expects it.
Thats it.

The reason the blue ship icon texture was shown for some time on the -ship- model itself also, is simple: after the static model is gone, and you start to sail your ship, it uses the same name for it's texture file. Maybe this is the explanation, as
until an area change, oddly enough the static model's texture stays on your ship.

If the texture is ok, it's not noticeable, and does not count as an error.

But until the texture -wasnt- a texture, but mistakedly overwritten by a ship icon long time ago, we seen a blue ship, with masts painted on its hull..

Last edited:
The conversation "break" was a natural reaction of the COAS system.

As even in CM 15, captains walked around, and you had to CATCH them, and press talk on them.
Their class was NOT an actor, but a free walking model, as I described it in this topic.

Since then, someone changed them to ACTOR, so they can follow the player, and start a conversation.
After the conversation ended, their behaviour programming is empty. Task completed. Cool.
As actors, they do not have anything more to do. So, they can't be "activated", as they are -act- as they told, but nothing more.
Thats the purpose of the actor class.

What I did for a solution is I changed their class back to normal, walking npc -after the first conversation-, and set their "walking" ability to nil., so they STAY in place, and can be talked to, starts up the same conversation.

So they walk to you as -actors- when you get onboard, start their chat, and then they become .. whatever I've written on the post in this topic when I was programming that part, they become that XD the same class as the sailors walking around, but they stay where they are and can be talked to again. Thats it.

Hello. I now have the problem that the game constantly crashes (engine deos not work) . Especially when I go from the map in the normal mode. Are there any new insights as the game is to get stable? Or possibly a new mod?

( Version GOF 2.0)

APPCRASH
start.exe_Akella ENGINE
4902fdf5
GEOMETRY.dll
4902eb62
c0000005
2a33
2a33d0c20c8f75297e011bc26af4559f
8180e86e68c54e4d0b6c9a8eddf8d79b

Can you post any compile, error, and system logs so we can look into your problem? You might have to zip them up to post them.

This game has been very reliable for me.

Hoi,

I only have this message after the crash:

Problemsignatur:
Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
Anwendungsname: start.exe_Akella ENGINE
Anwendungsversion: 1.0.0.1
Anwendungszeitstempel: 4902fdf5
Fehlermodulname: GEOMETRY.dll
Fehlermodulversion: 0.0.0.0
Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 4902eb62
Ausnahmecode: c0000005
Ausnahmeoffset: 00001487
Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
Zusatzinformation 1: 2a33
Zusatzinformation 2: 2a33d0c20c8f75297e011bc26af4559f
Zusatzinformation 3: 8180
Zusatzinformation 4: 8180e86e68c54e4d0b6c9a8eddf8d79b

Now I can not even load a saved game. It crashes immediately. I have not changed anything in the game files. (GOF version 2.0)
Can you tell me what you need to fix this problem? A file from the game or something else? Sry but I am not a IT expert.

I am no expert but methinks GEOMETRY.dll is a stock game driver. So it looks like your game has become corrupted. Do you defrag your hard drive often?

Hoi,

not really. Is the GEOMETRY.dll a defect file? What can I do? (But this problem has many guys with this game after a certain time)

Edit: It is possible, that some crashes are in connection with any missions? I have this many crashes since a one mission of Morgan. (Serarch of Steve Linney)

Last edited:
The .dll is a driver. It is not a geometry file or a texture file, but it says how those files are used in the game. That is a stock Akella part. So either it is corrupted or something else it uses is corrupted, which causes it to crash.

Your game used to work and now it does not. Either it is something you changed or something changed on its own. To me it looks like a reinstall is needed.

Hm the problem is .... I'm not the only one.

This is a text from "Cavalier Roy" (youtube:
) :

***Its a memory leak same as Cities XL problem only for COAS it doesn't lag it just crashes. The way the game was coded could be questionable and to fully understand that side of the game it a coder would need to explain. But yeah there is a memory leak and small bugs, none of the mods will fix the memory leak which is why saving often is the better way to go. Personally I save my game every time I enter and again before I leave a town and if I decide to encounter a fleet from the world map i save on a new slot before I get the popup to information about the fleet etc. I have separate save slots for each save type (1 for entering towns, 1 for exiting, 1 for encounters and 1 for boarding which is default anyway) by having these saves I am rotating my saves and reducing the chances of loosing anything of importance. Sadly this is all anyone can do till a coder has the time to go through the source code and fix it, but I doubt anyone will as the modding community for COAS died off a few years ago and no real activety has happened apart from some fixes etc here and there.***

So...a new installation are work???

PS: Ehat is with the patch GOF 2.0 Full Mod Patch 1.3 and 1.4 Beta V1 ???

Yes the memory leak is well known as all Akella games with the Storm engine have it. Save often and every hour or so take a break. Exit and then restart the game. The longer you play the more likely it is that it will crash. I almost never get crashes. Also defrag every 2-3 days.

A new install will replace any errors that happened from the constant crashes, so the game should be as good as it can be again.

GOF2 is a work in progress and when we had new content we added a patch. Patch 1.3 is fully tested and stable. Patch 1.4 had not been fully tested when work stopped, but I have been playing it for years with no errors.

Ok...so what exactly I can do now? Reinstall? And my saved games do not work anymore? Is it not enough when I replace the folder of "modules"? All DLLs are included there.

And what do you mean with defrag? A simple hard drive defragmentation? Sry its very new for me to "handle" with gamefolders and so on.

My GOF2 install is several years old. You can try saving your saves somewhere and then see if they work. :shrug

Ok, try replacing your "modules" folder. It can't hurt.

Yes. I use IOBIT Advanced System care 8 and Smart Defrag 4 where I defrag and fully optimize the hard drives.

Ok, try replacing your "modules" folder. It can't hurt.
I know for PotC some copies of the game had a corrupted MODULES folder, but we haven't heard any issues about that ever since I included that entire folder in the modpack download.
Perhaps the same could be done for CoAS. :shrug

I feel miserable hearing all you enjoying GOF while I can't play it for 5 minutes :(

Today I reinstalled COAS the original one without the mod, and I had the same problem... system freeze and must manually shut my computer. When I played COAS a month ago this problem didn't happen.. maybe some damage happened to my laptop or perhaps there is something I downloaded from POTC that made COAS not work properly on my device.

Anyway any rough estimate on when the new updated POTC coming? :D Been playing EU4 these past few days and it gets boring after you conquer the world.

Back