• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Gore/Blood

If you open any location with the GM-viewer you can see the grid where X and Z are length and width.
Y is always the height.

So placing that code into the console and executing it should result in a puff of smoke at my character?

Cool, what is the X, Y and Z axis in respect to?
Coordinates are related to the (0,0,0) point of the location, but as Jack says, there are functions to get the coordinates of characters in the location.

I assume you found the console command:
Code:
switch(6)
Already?

Most particles are defined in RESOURCE\INI\PARTICLES, but some are in RESOURCE\INI\particles.ini for some reason.
All those files can be edited with Notepad.

Hmm, a particles.c file exists on two places. Maybe I missed some effect then.
More effects also in ALL the six files in the RESOURCE\INI\\PARTICLES folder.

A question, is there anywhere I can find instruction for GM viewer, apart from the readme which I can't read (I don't know how to find the co-ordinates of my current position in Gm-viewer)

GM Viewer only shows you what the 3D models look like. It doesn't have a lot of advanced features.

Console.c has some functionality to give you your current coordinates in the game.
Going by memory, it may be the switch(2) option.

Thanks but I think going by the code that case (2) may only be ship position? (also does the logit function tell me in game or log it to a different file?)
Code:
case 2:
            if (!bSeaActive) {
                float x,y,z,ay,xx,zz,xz,zx;
                GetCharacterPos(GetMainCharacter(), &x, &y, &z);
                GetCharacterAy(pchar, &ay);
                xx = -sin(ay - PId2);
                zz = xx;
                xz = -cos(ay - PId2);
                zx = -xz;
                Logit("Location id: "+pchar.location);
                Logit("Your Coords x: " + x+"  y: "+y+"  z: "+z );
                Logit("Viewangle ay: "+ay+"; xx= "+xx+" xz= "+xz+" zx= "+zx+" zz= "+zz);
                Logit("Curlocator: "+chrWaitReloadLocator);
            //    trace("rld,loc," +xx+",0,"+xz+",0,1,0,"+zx+",0,"+zz+","+x+","+y+","+z+",1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,");
            //    trace("rld,aloc,"+xx+",0,"+xz+",0,1,0,"+zx+",0,"+zz+","+x+","+y+","+z+",1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,");
            } else {
                Logit("Ship position: x="+pchar.ship.pos.x+", z="+pchar.ship.pos.z);
            }
            //Logit("Ship position: x="+worldMap.playerShipX+", z="+worldMap.playerShipZ);
        break;

Works ashore too because of that if statement.

LogIt goes to the screen. Use TraceAndLog to do screen and compile.log . Trace goes to the log file only.

I tried pasting that line of code under the console to make it work with f12 however it did not seem to activate, there was no message on screen of the cordinates. (I have a sound play on f12 as well so I know if it has worked

alright so this is what i'v managed to do so far (not alot)
upload_2015-11-20_21-23-30.png

I have managed to get the console to display an effect (by guess work of position)
I have managed to change the texture and particle technique

I can't seem to resize the texture
I can't find where to edit the particle technique (only have been able to change it)
I am lacking a program to change the bitmap image to be round instead of square (although if I make the particles small enough it may not matter but would be nice)
some values that I change in the particle setting don't seem to take effect (such as gravity)
for example in code the gravity value does not make the particles drop as expected
Code:
[ship_fire]
technique = particles
nonstopemit
emissiontime = 100

windeffect = 0.0025
key_windeffect = 0,0
key_windeffect = 1,50000

texture        = blood.bmp

particles_num    = 30
lifetime    = 3000
emitradius    = 22.0

psize_max    = 0.02
psize_min    = 0.0

ddeviation    = 0.4
gravity        = 1.0
initial_speed    = 0.0

weight        = 0.0
weight_deviation = 0.0

ptime        = 0
pscale        = 1.0

spin        = 0.0
spin_deviation    = 0.0

speed         = 0.4
speed_deviation    = 0

key_alpha    = 0.7,0
key_alpha    = 0.25,2000
key_alpha    = 0,3000

key_psize    = 0,0
key_psize    = 4,3000
key_psize    = 8,8000

key_pspeed    = 0.0,0
;key_pspeed    = 0.0008,500
key_pspeed    = 0.008,3000

key_spin    = 0.3,0
key_spin    = 0.1,8000

obviously this is no where near what I would like it to look like but im just starting out and seeing what to do, I still need to go on and work out how to use the location of enemies and trigger when damage and stuff but I want to see if I can get the effect to look alright first

thanks again for your help
Sean

Last edited:
Currently still stuck with the problems aligned in the previous two posts, some help would be very welcome

Thanks
Sean

You have to rename [ship_fire] when used as a blood effect.
If you want to have something like blood sprinkle maybe one of the "splinter"
effects could be good to start from? With a replaced texture.

Tested very fast and effect 45 looks like a small fountain.

in the mean time, do you know why the particle settings do not seem to take effect?

And I will eventually rename [ship_fire] to be a blood effect on its on it was just for testing purposes that I used it

I'm not sure at all what all attributes really do. Always have to try and see.
Maybe the changed number has to be more extreme to make any visible difference?

Noob question: Is there a way to see the codes from CoAS engine and then write them into POTC engine (if Storm engine 2.0 does not differ too much from Storm engine 2.8)?

Back