• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HMS Bellona

With such a lineship, the victory, surprise+bossoule, bermsloop, bounty/edindurg, constitution... it is clear that we must start to think about an common 18th century-mod for COAS, don't you agree mates?

Good idea. I just finished the plans of the HMS Sophie (HMS Vincejo) as a blueprint for my next model. A Sloop of War or even Brig with 18 carronades and 2 long 6-pounders. :dance

"A common 18th century-mod for COAS", you say?
Why don't you try to make something similar to the Periods mod in the PotC Build?
That's what we did to use all sorts of time settings within the same game.

Here my first skin edit :cheeky

skin.jpg

US version? I recall hearing the US didn't have battleships, but HEY, she looks good anyway. :cheeky

There were. And at least one of them was colossal (140 guns).

I have posted of the possibility of razeeing this very good ship to create a single-deck principal battery, 32-pdr cannon armed heavy frigate that historically created very powerful and strong frigates out of older line of battle ships.

A razee gives you two ships out of one model and prospectively saves a lot of time modelling a separate frigate and battleship. I envision an interesting take to late-period battle tactics if we had a razeed frigate that focused on victory through having heavy gun firepower on a compact platform.

But I will not be surprised if once again everyone goes ooh and ahh over other things thereby preventing any sort of maritime history related discussion from taking place. And if I'm not interested in the ship, you don't get a separate historical report/manual on the ship, and someone else is going to come around and say, I don't care much for new ships unless it's something special.

I believe every ship model, even those from the stock game, have the potential to be a bit more special than just individual models to be used and abused, and possibly forgotten.

Thanks! With a refit to a frigate it could become the
HMS Indefatigable

28a.jpg

Hornblower served on her ;-)

Btw, did any one see the hornblower BBC-series? I have all episodes on my harddrive. The Grand Turk was used for the indi there. But nothing can get close to the movie of '51 :rolleyes:

So if SWS or anyone else wants to rework the bellona model, I'd looking forward to it. It may be a helpfull inspiration to use this Model for oriantation, I think I've posted this link serveral month before.

Reworking involves cooperation with modeler as well as other idea-generators involved. As you can see, with the way well researched ideas get ignored, that's never going to happen.

oke people, make variations listen to SWS! Come on, please reply!

-

It wouldn't cost that much effort to make a razzeed version of the ship, would it pgargon? Would be two birds with one stone.

What's going to be fun is a community retexture of the razee/variant and creating a separate backstory for her; as aforesaid it's easy to come up with one as many lineships as they got eclipsed by successive generations of larger ships of the line, became converted to smaller and highly effective hunters themselves.

There were. And at least one of them was colossal (140 guns).

I have posted of the possibility of razeeing this very good ship to create a single-deck principal battery, 32-pdr cannon armed heavy frigate that historically created very powerful and strong frigates out of older line of battle ships.

A razee gives you two ships out of one model and prospectively saves a lot of time modelling a separate frigate and battleship. I envision an interesting take to late-period battle tactics if we had a razeed frigate that focused on victory through having heavy gun firepower on a compact platform.

But I will not be surprised if once again everyone goes ooh and ahh over other things thereby preventing any sort of maritime history related discussion from taking place. And if I'm not interested in the ship, you don't get a separate historical report/manual on the ship, and someone else is going to come around and say, I don't care much for new ships unless it's something special.

I believe every ship model, even those from the stock game, have the potential to be a bit more special than just individual models to be used and abused, and possibly forgotten.

For me personally it is easier to build a new model for a Blue Print. The departure and modify an existing model is becoming increasingly difficult. This is of course purely subjective. ;)

Many models already in COAS here are just a few embellishments which of course is easier than a new development. For this I have also created some stuff to download. But we take models such as the Battleship, Warship and Manowar, these are much too large and also ugly. Sorry to the designers! :b:
Such models I want to replace what I did with Bellon, or Victory already.

Actually, we don't have the REAL Indefatigable.
The one we have is a stock PotC model reskin by Thomas the Terror.
Definitly not movie-accurate. And doesn't look anything like that picture Takeda-One posted. :no

And indeed the old movie IS really good. REALLY good, even! :woot

I'd like to restate that I DO very much like SWS's idea of reusing a model and adjusting it to become a different ship.
Two ships for the price of one, right? But only if the modeler is comfortable with that, of course.
It'd require some creativity, because the blueprints won't tell you how to do it.

It does come to mind in the modeler's perspective that building the hull up to the first deck, setting it aside for a frigate, then building up upon it for a heavier combatant might be easier than chopping the top deck off after building the lineship proper. Since once you start chopping things up, the texture maps are completely messed up, to my knowledge.

In any case we do have larger and smaller ships of Bellona's period, thus we needn't push for a razee in this case; I'll still love to see the evolution of the Hispanic galleon over the ages though...

Back