• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HMS Surprise

I'm not sure I got it right either, but.........

The FTP has been moved and now has different login info. In the link in post #400 download the new FTP Commander and then make sure, in properties, that the login info is correct.

D´orgh!
I thought i had the right data in my program.
Turns out i had not. had pIrates instead of pYrates

HMS surprise, last changed June 25 2011.
Downloading.

my bad - apologies.

Also: Thanks for the Raa frigate. she is a beauty, and has served me well a few weeks back.

Can someone please tell me exactly where the latest update is on the FTP?
I've got the new FTP Commander with the correct details (I think), but still the last update I can see in Jack's folder is the 16th June. :facepalm

Maybe those are updated files?
laugh.gif

They're the right ones, anyway. At least now I can finish my work on her locators and textures. :dance

Note that the login details in FTP Commander are NOT updated; you have to do that manually from the info in that post.

My work on this ship is nearly done now, so I'll release what I've done fairly soon. :keith
Before that, I have a few final questions for Jack about the model:

1) Isn't there something unfinished at the front of the ship...?
2) Will there be any more work on the cabin...?
3) Please, please, please can you fix the stern windows? Currently they don't look correct, and I can't make a better texture to fix them.
They should look like this photo: http://upload.wikime...prise-stern.jpg
4) Could you please add the stern lantern, and maybe the emblem as well? (as in the above photo)
5) I think the texture 'HMS_SurpriseR.tga' is missing; could you upload it?

As for my own work, I've been tweaking the rigging and textures (notice the deck texture in the above screenshot!) to the best they can be (including making the spanker function correctly).
I've also found a way of putting a better wheel on the ship, by copying the one from LuggerVML and sticking two of them together, with great results! ;)

Now, a question to everyone; would you prefer the film-accurate paint scheme (slightly more orange than yellow, with blue-grey hull above and below waterline),
or the current one Jack has used (yellow with blue-grey above waterline, white below)?
I'm asking because I think it would be nice for the Surprise and Providence to use slightly different paint schemes, to emphasise their differences a bit more, but what do others think?

Armada, the graphic you pointed out in the bow is the bowsprit model coming through the hull.

The cabin is like that because she is cleared for action with a clean sweep for and aft, and the stern windows and stern lantern are all right IMO.

What was wrong with the textures I uploaded and the rigging? Jack has worked hard on this and so did I and it does not have to be all redone and perfect to your standards in order for others to enjoy the ship. It has been far to long coming and everyone likes the various models and textures so lets just release her for everyone to enjoy!!!

I agree with using different textures for the Providence and Surprise; more differences between ships is definitely good. :onya

i don't know if the surprise should have this technical detail, but it might be of interest:

the HMS victory has a few benches functioning as storage space in the back wall of it's stern cabins. some sections of these benches can be folded up to function as gunports. maybe this could be added into the back of the cabin in raised position? unless remodeling is too much of a hassle now, of course, and you really don't want stern chasers for the sake of historical accuracy.

Armada, the graphic you pointed out in the bow is the bowsprit model coming through the hull.

The cabin is like that because she is cleared for action with a clean sweep for and aft, and the stern windows and stern lantern are all right IMO.

What was wrong with the textures I uploaded and the rigging? Jack has worked hard on this and so did I and it does not have to be all redone and perfect to your standards in order for others to enjoy the ship. It has been far to long coming and everyone likes the various models and textures so lets just release her for everyone to enjoy!!!
Right. Yes. I see your point. I've gone too far this time. I knew I would eventually. :facepalm
The least I can do is explain myself:
  • I knew that was the bowsprit, but it just looks unfinished- it ends abruptly in mid air.
  • I didn't know about the cabin being cleared purposely; I was just curious to know if it was as Jack intended it to be.
  • There was nothing actually wrong with either the textures or the rigging. However, on one hand, Jack asked me to upgrade the textures (I've only actually done the deck, and the only other place I could think to improve was the stern windows), and on the other hand, the rigging you used wasn't what I recommended, because it uses a spanker which is stuck to a perpendicular rey, making it impossible to fix its behaviour like this.
  • The stern windows only bothered me because, as they stand, they look a bit too 16th/17th century style with diagonal glass sections, and the stern lantern looks of that era as well, to me.
I'm sorry if all my above comments seem too picky and ungrateful. All I was trying to do was make sure this model can be the final HMS Surprise model, with absolutely nothing that any fan of the ship, the film or the books could point out as being wrong or inaccurate, because you're right; she's been far too long coming. That was clearly a mistake, so I won't go any further.

I will compile and upload everything needed for the PotC version of the ship as soon as I can. I understand if the CoAS team doesn't want any of the relevant content.

As promised, she's on the (old) FTP now. I still can't seem to access the new one through FTP Commander, so can't provide a link.
In my folder, look for HMS_Surprise_final.zip.
Note: you'll have to copy "ships_init entry" and replace the current HMS_Surprise entry in ships_init.c.
I've also thrown in my new deck.tga and desk.tga textures, if anyone wants them. They're only an optional extra.

As promised, she's on the (old) FTP now. I still can't seem to access the new one through FTP Commander, so can't provide a link.
In my folder, look for HMS_Surprise_final.zip.
Note: you'll have to copy "ships_init entry" and replace the current HMS_Surprise entry in ships_init.c.
I've also thrown in my new deck.tga and desk.tga textures, if anyone wants them. They're only an optional extra.

I'll take the extras too. Where are they?
me.gif

And where's your folder? what's it named?

Back