• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Interface Screenshots for Ships

I love the Dutchman shot, it's excellent! :doff
The corvette is fine, but as Morgan said, the caravel is hard to see.

Yeah, I got lucky with the Dutchman. They were taken in late afternoon, noon, and at night. How soon do you want them? I've got a useable set but still am not happy.

Pieter, are those weather settings in the console? I can't find them. :shrug

And speaking of storms, these are from B13 and that is one of the largest ships in the game. How would you like to be out there in a Lugger with the capsize mod? :shock

Well, I'm going to start putting these pics into one huge file, and begin coding in the models one by one, very soon.
But I'm going to save one version as a 'flat' tga file, to be converted for use in the game, and another one as a layered file (front layer for the borders, back layer for the pics).
That way, I can always edit the layered version easily, as and when we get new/replacement ships and images.
So I don't mind when you can upload the images; make sure you're happy with them, first. :dance

Eerrrr. Where and how are they placed and activated? Also is it possible to turn off damage? I have to choose the ship from shore and then sail out far enough to not have land in the background. I'm afraid I wouldn't have any sails left by then. Maybe I should just continue sailing around until I find a storm and the try to time it so I get into it at midday.

I already gave you the trick to not have to cycle through all ships to get the one you want, right?
Since now you're working on redoing some ships' screens, why don't you just use a regular line instead of the "scroll code" like this?
Code:
GiveShip2Character(pchar,"CursedDutchman","Flying Dutchman",-1,PIRATE,true,true);
That's what I always do to give me the ship I want.
As for turning off damage, I always play with cheatmode on. Then Numpad 0 turns on godmode. However, the sails still take damage then. :facepalm

Eerrrr. Where and how are they placed and activated? Also is it possible to turn off damage? I have to choose the ship from shore and then sail out far enough to not have land in the background. I'm afraid I wouldn't have any sails left by then. Maybe I should just continue sailing around until I find a storm and the try to time it so I get into it at midday.
You mean the line Pieter gave you that sets the weather?
I'd just put that right above the 'Give Ship' section in the console (for the sake of argument), and then you can press F12 in-game to change the weather as per the code. :764:

And I think you mean that the console only allows the ship change while at shore, right? Which then requires you to sail out each time.
@Pieter, is that the case, or can the console work at sea, with the next reload making the change take effect?

Console works in 3D sailing mode as well and you'll get your new ship upon the next reload from shore to sea or from worldmap to sea.
In fact, the stats are updated straight away. This line from console.c instantly fixes your ship:
Code:
GiveShip2Character(pchar,pchar.ship.type,pchar.ship.name,-1,PIRATE,true,true);

Ok, I've gone about as far as I can with these cursed ships. They are pretty bright and most of them have twisters. Yes you can change them while at sea. Still much to learn.

I can do the ship pictures list. But it sounds like you guys are still working out how big it should be and how to name things. Are you looking at 4-2048X2048 files?

I can do the ship pictures list. But it sounds like you guys are still working out how big it should be and how to name things. Are you looking at 4-2048X2048 files?
I've already made a massive 4096x4096 pixel square grid of 256x256 pixel borders.
The grid has 16x16 borders, allowing a total of 256 ships to be in the image at once. That should be more than enough space, especially when old ships are removed/replaced.
All I need to do is put the images into the borders, preferably in some kind of order. Alphabetical seems good enough for now, based on the file names.

The cursed ship pics look excellent, by the way! :onya
But just so you know, there's a couple of pics that'll need redoing due to recent texture work, rigging, and reverse lighting fixes.
Do you mind if I handle those? Seems easier than sending you the files, and then you sending me the screenshots.
I'll upload them afterwards so you can see them anyway.

For the coding, I've had a thought. The grid is 16x16, so after every 16 entries in pictures.ini, you could put a comment line saying "Row [number of next row in image grid]".
That would make life easier as and when we need to replace images in the grid.
I'll start from left to right, and then go down to the next row, and so on. That pattern can be followed in coding the coordinates.

For future reference, here's a mathematical formula I've just figured out, to tell us exactly what the coordinates of any picture in the image are:
If x is the column number of the picture, and y is the row number,
the coordinates of the top left pixel and bottom right pixel = [(256x)-256],[(256y)-256] and [256x],[256y].
This is assuming that (0,0) is the top left of the whole grid, and each image is 256x256 pixels.
After all these years of 'pointlessly' learning it, algebra has a practical use! :dance

I think the maximum size that the TX Converter can work with is 2048x2048, so we might need a couple of seperate files.
But there's no harm in that. :no

Sure go for it with the pics. I knew you were working on upgrading ships and expected this. It will be easy to upgrade and replace ships after doing this.

4096X4096 Aye aye Capn! I will do one line with comments and post it.

Umm, I knew how to read math sentences 40 years ago, but now....... :wacko: I use fingers and toes.

Woops! 2048X2048?

I think the maximum size that the TX Converter can work with is 2048x2048, so we might need a couple of seperate files.
But there's no harm in that. :no
Well I did a quick test, after completing the first row in the grid, and TX converter did give an error message about size.
However, it converted correctly nonetheless! I checked to make sure it hadn't chopped off part of the image, and everything's fine.
So we should still be able to use the 4096x4096 grid, I think. :?

Umm, I knew how to read math sentences 40 years ago, but now....... :wacko: I use fingers and toes.
Believe me, that's not even a very complicated formula... I've seen and studied much worse. :shock
So, in English, what I wrote means:
Top left coordinates = [(256 x column number) -256],[(256 x row number) -256], and bottom right coordinates = [256 x column number],[256 x row number]
So for example, the image in the 3rd column and 4th row has coordinates (512,768) and (768,1024). Does that make more sense? I never was great at explaining things. :facepalm
Of course you don't need the formula, but it's useful as a reference.

Well I did a quick test, after completing the first row in the grid, and TX converter did give an error message about size.
However, it converted correctly nonetheless! I checked to make sure it hadn't chopped off part of the image, and everything's fine.
So we should still be able to use the 4096x4096 grid, I think. :?
I don't much like those error messages and don't see any real harm in making it 2048x2048.
On the other hand, if it really DOES cause a problem, it'll be easy enough to chop it up into four files instead of one anyway. :shrug

Wouldn't you have to reset the coordinates for all of the pictures if you chopped it into 4 pieces?

Wouldn't you have to reset the coordinates for all of the pictures if you chopped it into 4 pieces?
Well if you copy the coordinates from the top left quarter, and use them for the other three, then that would work.

But so far, so good; I really don't see what all the fuss is about concerning these errors about file size.
There have been no apparent issues with my tests using the full grid. :?

Pieter and Experienced Captain, have you decided how to name these files? You were going around about how to name them, so I stopped. Is alphabetical ok? :shrug

I'll have a look at the images again tomorrow. I'm not sure we fully decided on the names, but alphabetical seems logical. :yes

Back