• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Leveling: Sudden Huge Amounts of XP Gained

Also: With that Librarian you added, I see what you did there (TWICE!). ;)

It was there for a while already. Just noticed I set something wrong. But yeah I can have a bit fun with names right ;)? Actually theire names will mean something later on also ;), but I'm not going to spoil that.

@Levis: What exactly does that "Skill Debug dialog" do? If it opens an interface showing the character skills, the [O]-key does that already. :confused:

@Levis: What exactly does that "Skill Debug dialog" do? If it opens an interface showing the character skills, the [O]-key does that already. :confused:

I can trigger it for all characters. I've just added it now already so I can later add more things to this to easily check stuff of an character or test something with it.

I can trigger it for all characters. I've just added it now already so I can later add more things to this to easily check stuff of an character or test something with it.
O-key should work for pretty much all characters too, just in case you might find it useful some day. :doff

Ugh ... while looking for performance increases I noticed a lot can be gained by the way skill values are called. I had hoped I could leave that alone ... guess more rewriting for me todo too ...
I mean every time you ask for a skill value it loops trough all officers and companions etc.
Also the way ships handle theire "skills"chart is very weird ... going to look into that more too.

Isn't that why we have two sets of skill calling functions? One that reads from a list and another that loops through a lot of characters to recalculate it?

Isn't that why we have two sets of skill calling functions? One that reads from a list and another that loops through a lot of characters to recalculate it?

From what i can see this isn't always working as we want and in a lot of cases the wrong set of functions is called.

- Try hireing a officer in a new game and see what happens ;)
Apparently only an error message happens. I don't remember actually seeing any code for that feature anyway.
Did you upload it? Did I miss it?

Playing the 7/30 version.

There seem to be a lot of officers around in taverns and just walking around and all of them have significantly higher point values than before.

No corpses have any money to loot, just weapons.

I got my pocket picked and when I stole it back he had all my money, about 575k, and so did I.

Finally, forts of the hostile power are not recognizing my false flag.

Last edited:
There seem to be a lot of officers around in taverns and just walking around and all of them have significantly higher point values than before.

Is this bad? This was requested by @HellSailor cause he thought they where to weak.

I do not like the new system at all.

As I understand it, the idea is to spread the game out further so that it takes longer to get your skills up to high levels, and to force you to hire officers. This does not appeal to me on general principle, since for me the natural lifespan of a storyline is the story; once that's complete, I may continue with a bit of free-play to make use of whatever reward I got from the story end, but otherwise the story is over, time to start another. The natural lifespan of a free-play game is the time needed to do a good set of sidequests, after which I've played this character long enough, time for another free-play with another character. Artificially prolonging the game is therefore bad for me.

Forcing the character to hire officers is yet another example of forcing the player to play the game you want rather than the game he wants. It's also bad news for "Hornblower", who can't hire officers.

@Grey Roger how long is this lifespan?
For now it's set up to be maxed out at level 50. If you think this is to late we can change it. But I prefer to actually increase the xp gain a bit then because else there will be an imbalance with the perks. If you are level 100 you have all perks....

Just to explain the melee shouldn't progress this slow.... The first two levels should be relatively easy. I will look into that more.

The no gold on corpses is not intentional either and I wonder what causes this...

Could you please make a topic for the locator problem?

The lifespan is however long it takes to complete the story. This will vary depending on the story - some are quicker than others.

The previous XP and skill system was fine. The current one is broken - raiding a dungeon used to get me a few points of Melee skill (at least when I was starting off at level 1), now it only gets me a percent or two (even when starting at level 1). By contrast, it used to take me a while to build up my general skill level, whereas now it goes up like a rocket during a naval battle. This means I'm level 6 and Melee 1 when I face the enemy captain, who presumably is generated to be suitable for a level 6 opponent, which means I die quickly.

Back