• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Leveling: Sudden Huge Amounts of XP Gained

Like I said before the melee shouldn't increase this slow so I will look into it. The old system had multipliers and diveders all over the place so nobody had a clue anymore where it went. Now everything is in one place and I can balance so I need feedback on it...

Indeed I can understands the wish for a quicker game. I agree with @Levis that the best way to do that is to increase a general modifier on the amount of XP you get.
If I recall, the original Auto Skill system had a setting for that already, so we can just keep that and make sure it works for the new system.

From what I saw of the old system, it was indeed quite messy on the coding side.
It may take a bit of evolution to get the new system to work as well as the old one did.
But eventually it should get as good and probably even better.

Plus the main advantage of having one central system is that we'll have much more control over it, making it easier to maintain and build on later.

Also, Hornblower CAN hire officers once the story is over.
If he doesn't get enough assistance during the storyline, then that should be addressed by giving him the officers he needs.

Indeed I can understands the wish for a quicker game. I agree with @Levis that the best way to do that is to increase a general modifier on the amount of XP you get.
I'm not looking for a quicker game, just one which is about the same speed as it already was. The problem is that the intent here seems to be to make a slower game.

From what I saw of the old system, it was indeed quite messy on the coding side.
It may take a bit of evolution to get the new system to work as well as the old one did.
But eventually it should get as good and probably even better.
So a great deal of effort is being made to damage the system in the hope that eventually it will be as good as it used to be. ;) Can this not wait until Build 15?
Also, Hornblower CAN hire officers once the story is over.
That's fine if you intend to continue playing after the story is over. ;)
If he doesn't get enough assistance during the storyline, then that should be addressed by giving him the officers he needs.
He doesn't need assistance if skill progress reverts to the original rate. It's entirely possible to complete the game, and have a lot of fun doing it, in earlier versions. Also, officers don't contribute much to your personal combat skills - you can stand back and let them do the fighting for you, but that won't work if you're duelling an enemy ship's captain. ;) Or, for that matter, during the land battle on Martinique, where there's a whole row of soldiers in fornt of you yet one of the French soldiers charges straight through them and at you. That's where I'm expecting the game to become unplayable...

So a great deal of effort is being made to damage the system in the hope that eventually it will be as good as it used to be. ;) Can this not wait until Build 15?

I originally wanted to wait too but to many problems started to appear and it was heavily impacting performance ...
I'm not looking for a quicker game, just one which is about the same speed as it already was. The problem is that the intent here seems to be to make a slower game.

The problem is due to all kinds of multipliers all over the place I was unable to get an acurate XP table which was actually needed to progress. If you can give me information that would be nice.
I will look at the melee skills to improve that already ...
If another skill is progressing to quick or not quick enough please say what you did and how it should react according to you and I see if I can change it so its well balanced.

My ideas of a slower game are more hypothetical "thinking out loud" than anything else.
I'd be Ok with the next release being similar in progression to the previous ones. :yes

I haven't really been keeping up with what exactly is happening with the skills as almost all my attention has been with flags.
@Levis is on the case though, so anything weird that you report should hopefully be resolved soon.
Once I'm back from vacation and am done with the relations work, I'll double check how things are going with the skills.
We should have something more playable by the end of the weekend or so.

One thing I have noticed is that the player seems to advance in rank very quickly now while the officers hardly advance at all.

In my first game I started as La Croix and picked up padre Gerald. We started out at about the same rank and he had better skills than I did, but when I dumped the game I was as level 21 and he was at level 8.

So with lessons learned I started a new game. Again I advanced and officers have not. Example: I scored on a treasure quest and got maybe $2 million in loot. When I cashed in at a store I got 5 or so level ups and my officers got none, even with the shared experience perk enabled.

One thing I have noticed is that the player seems to advance in rank very quickly now while the officers hardly advance at all.

In my first game I started as La Croix and picked up padre Gerald. We started out at about the same rank and he had better skills than I did, but when I dumped the game I was as level 21 and he was at level 8.

So with lessons learned I started a new game. Again I advanced and officers have not. Example: I scored on a treasure quest and got maybe $2 million in loot. When I cashed in at a store I got 5 or so level ups and my officers got none, even with the shared experience perk enabled.
they should get xp with the shared experience enabled. I will look into it ....

@Levis: Tomorrow evening I'll be back in the country, so Friday I'll try to sort out some of the most egregious issues with latest work that have been found these past few days.
Another zip this weekend, perhaps? Have you been getting any the wiser with these skill progressions?

I'm working on it. Sunday evening I should be able to have stuff finished again also.

Levis,
The leadership skill is particularly slow now - I am up to level 24 and only just managed to get level 2 even with lots of talking to people and trade quests - both of which previously increased your leadership and luck skills. My reputation also is very slow - only just managed to get to Bloke - this is way to slow for the Standard storyline as you need to be Matey at least to get the relevant side quests.

I suspect all skills are affected as Melee and defence are also very slow.

Hope this helps.

Edit - note that it is not any issues with internalsettings.h as these are substantially the same as before.

My reputation also is very slow - only just managed to get to Bloke - this is way to slow for the Standard storyline as you need to be Matey at least to get the relevant side quests.
@Levis: Did you make any changes that might have affected reputation as well?
I don't remember any deliberate changes being made to that at all (yet).

I havent made any changes to reputation.

Levis,
The leadership skill is particularly slow now - I am up to level 24 and only just managed to get level 2 even with lots of talking to people and trade quests - both of which previously increased your leadership and luck skills. My reputation also is very slow - only just managed to get to Bloke - this is way to slow for the Standard storyline as you need to be Matey at least to get the relevant side quests.

I suspect all skills are affected as Melee and defence are also very slow.

Hope this helps.

Edit - note that it is not any issues with internalsettings.h as these are substantially the same as before.
Thanks, this kind of info helps a lot.

If people want to help more open the leveling.c file
at the top you see "DEBUG_EXPERIENCE"

Change the number behind it to 2
Now play the game for a while and if you gained some experience in different places post the compile.log here.
I can use the information in there.

Uploaded a new version here:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/levis-stuff-v-6-0.25316/

Please test it to see if it works better.
There are some multipliers in place for the different skills now.
If you think a certain skill is progressing to slow compared to the rest please change the numbers in Leveling.c

Search for the function "GetXPmult".
Here you see all skills. After it there is a number which you can change.
Like this:
Code:
case "Cannons":        expMult =  1; break;

Say you wanted Cannons to progress twice as fast then you change the 1 to and 2. You can also use for example 1.5 if you think it should only be increaded with 50%.

Looking forward to feedback on the numbers. The ones which are there now are the ones from the previous version for as far as I could trace them back trough the cluttered code.

Ok, I had a small and quick test about new stuff from @Levis . Now, the fencing works properly AT LAST! :monkeydance

But on the other hand, the progression of the levels is too fast; still with the lineal progression of 1000 exp for each new level. But I don't care; If I have my fencing good, no problem :D At least I can continue testing without getting killed constantly.

I will update more news and I will do further testing on everything it is needed :)

EDIT: Levis, in the code, Repair is multiplied by 50. It is that correct?

Also @Levis: Do you still have the trick in place that makes your actions in the early game give you MUCH more XP points than later on?
That was originally added so you can deliberately focus on certain skills early on and easily get good at those before it goes to normal.
Not sure if we need to keep that, but I was curious....

Back