• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Leveling: Sudden Huge Amounts of XP Gained

I decided to have the normal level progression liniaer cause in most cases the amount of XP you will get from things wont increase. So in order to unlock some of the perks you should be able to level relativly fast.
The skills do require more XP each level, so getting to level 3 for a skill should be fairly simple.

For what I can see, the officers haven't been touched since last update. Is it that true? Because my officers are not very powerful on their skill class (for example, a gunner of level 15 has 5 of accuracy and 5 of cannons).

I decided to have the normal level progression liniaer cause in most cases the amount of XP you will get from things wont increase. So in order to unlock some of the perks you should be able to level relativly fast.
The skills do require more XP each level, so getting to level 3 for a skill should be fairly simple.
Alrightee; I'll be curious to see how that plays out in the game! :cheers

For what I can see, the officers haven't been touched since last update. Is it that true? Because my officers are not very powerful on their skill class (for example, a gunner of level 15 has 5 of accuracy and 5 of cannons).
Everyone will increase theire levels as quick as you do. They will favor a certain skill or skills depending on theire level but they will never have more skillpoints then they can have.
When you progress further the officers will have higher levels and gain more skills.
They should level more quickly now....
I did turn down the level for officers a little bit because I found they where to high and others gave this feedback too.

This should fix a small problem where if you switch back to the old system you had to many skillpoints.
@Pieter Boelen can you include it?

Attachments

• Leveling.c
    72.9 KB · Views: 84
EDIT: Levis, in the code, Repair is multiplied by 50. It is that correct?

This is how it was set in the original functions. If you think repair is progressing to quick let me know.

HOW much??? Does that seem reasonable to you? Any crazy jumps?

I'm moving this to the appropriate thread. :facepalm
With the lineal system of progressing levels, it is VERY easy to get more and more levels. For example, for me, during Malcom's training, I got until level 16 or so in order to get a 8 point skill on fencing.

By the way, I still got the old .exe with the patches of the 25 July version, the last of the patches in which the progress system was the older one. If you want, I can try to figure how it does progress with each new level.

Also, @Levis, I think some of the Mult exp of some skills should be changed a bit in order to make the progress of those skills easier.

For example:
  • Sailing should be X2 instead of X1. I have never progressed on this skill up to level 5.
  • Sneak can be increased just a little bit. For example, increasing it from X3 to X3.25.
  • Commerce is also a very slow skill to progress. I have never gone into more than level 5 on that skill. I think we could increase it from X0.5 to X2 (Needs testing to corroborate it is balanced).
  • Defence, as sneak, can be also increased just a little. For example, X6.5 instead of X6.

@HellSailor I won't be here for the next few days so feel free to change it and try it.

@Hylie Pistof how long did you play to get there?

Maybe I need to increase the required amount of xp a bit.
Search for "calculatenext" or something like that. You should find the function which determines how much xp you need. If someone has a better formula feel free to share.

I will try to test and make some improvements to the system.

By the way, @Levis, if I change something of the archive, then I have to press F11?

No, I set it up in a way it should work instantly.

Well, I'm up to level 85 now. When in fights on land the constant binging and dinging of the bells when someone levels up is annoying. Here are some comparison screenies.
POTC new 2015-08-07 11-07-11-25.jpg POTC new 2015-08-10 14-53-52-32.jpg

There is something else going on also. Some officers are LOSING health points as they get promoted. Namely in game officers like Mr. Gibbs and Rys Bloom.
POTC new 2015-08-05 11-29-12-81.jpg POTC new 2015-08-05 11-29-43-46.jpg POTC new 2015-08-10 14-54-06-30.jpg POTC new 2015-08-10 14-54-43-65.jpg

EDIT: It only took a little over three game years to get here, which is completely insane. My personal record is playing for 27 game years and methinks I made it to level 54 or so.

Last edited:
I will look into the hp thing when I'm back.

So we've got weirdness with the HP and levelling up is going much too fast, right?
Might be useful to have it fast for balancing the skill multipliers but will need slowing down to something closer to Beta 3.4 though....

Melee improvement is still pitifully slow. After raiding the Antigua cellar I still only had 2% extra. Barbados cave got me up to Melee 2. I suspect that enemies in dungeons are being rigged to match your overall skill level, so when I go into Antigua cellar right at the start of "Hornblower" I'm a level 1 wimp and so are they. Thanks to the over-generous skill increase during a naval battle, I had gained several levels by the time I got to Barbados, so enemies were tougher but I earned more Melee skill - still not as much as I used to with the original system, though. Meanwhile enemy captains are still far too strong and boarding an enemy ship is still suicidal because I have such poor Melee skill.

Melee improvement is still pitifully slow. After raiding the Antigua cellar I still only had 2% extra. Barbados cave got me up to Melee 2.
Isn't that exactly the opposite of what the other people have been reporting? o_O
Which update version are you playing with?

I suspect that enemies in dungeons are being rigged to match your overall skill level, so when I go into Antigua cellar right at the start of "Hornblower" I'm a level 1 wimp and so are they.
The game has always worked like that with few exceptions. :yes

Back