• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Making Citizen Dialogs

tommy61157

Unofficial Pirate Potato
Staff member
QA Tester
Provisional
Storm Modder
Hey guys, I've decided that I'm going to make the american dialog for the citizens and soldiers, however, the problem is, I haven't ever worked with dialog before and I'll need someone to give me some tips on how to make/edit dialog files in order for me to do this. I know this seems like such a simple thing I'm asking for help on, but everyone has to start somewhere, right? In the meantime, I'll try and see if I can't figure it out myself...

UPDATE: I've made the actual dialog files for the soldiers, but I don't know how to make the soldiers use the dialog files I made for them...

Try reading here. http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/16070-el-patron-humberto-indigo-diaz/ There are most likely some tips in it.

Black Bart and Morgan Terror have done dialogs but are not too active.

That seems to be more oriented towards making an entire storyline, plus I couldn't find any helpful tips in there, let's hope one of them logs on and sees this, because I want to give the americans something to say when I try to talk to them, lol I already have the files, but I just need to find out how to make the soldiers use the files I created (the files should be good, I based them off of British soldiers and just changed things up to make it work for the american soldiers).

You should probably PM them. They might not spot this thread
keith.gif

GOOD idea, mate!

The soldiers use "Eleuthera soldier_dialog.c" which does not exist, but if you make it and put it in place, it should work.
Then the town characters use "Alice citizen_dialog.c" and "eleuthera citizen_dialog.c".
You should be able to copy existing character dialogs and adjust them for the new locations.

Thanks a lot for working on this; it'll be great to have these files in place at last! :dance

UUUGGGGHHH, I thought it used American Solider_dialog, no wonder it's not working...

Edit: I tried to make the dialogs have an american feel to them, talk to someone enough and they'll talk about early America or refer to the states, I will attach the files when I've confirmed that they work.

The files should work, but they don't, how do you attach files from your computer onto this forum? I know it's a bit of a stupid question, but I've never done it before...

You should be able to add them as an attachment to the forum posts; best to ZIP them up first.

The files aren't working? Do you have error logging enabled?

COMPILE ERROR - file: interface\save_load.c; line: 1736
file not found: dialogs\ENGLISH\America Soldier_dialog.h
COMPILE ERROR - file: interface\save_load.c; line: 1736
file not found: dialogs\America Soldier_dialog.c
COMPILE ERROR - file: dialogs\error_dialog.c; line: 48
file not found: dialogs\ENGLISH\America Soldier_dialog.h
COMPILE ERROR - file: dialogs\error_dialog.c; line: 48
file not found: dialogs\America Soldier_dialog.c

That's the error log, and I'm asking HOW do you attach files onto here?

...... and I'm asking HOW do you attach files onto here?

When you post use the full editor -- below where you type the text is a button that says Click to Attach Files ( this opens a window to let you select the file you want to attach - select it and it should be attached. )

Here are the files I used for the soldiers.

Attachments

• Eleuthera soldier_dialog.c
    3.3 KB · Views: 123
  • American Soldier_dialog.h
    3.2 KB · Views: 120
Your files work fine, but apparently they DO need to be called "America soldier_dialog".
It seems the Eleuthera dialogs set in the character init files are being overriden elsewhere.
Anyway, no problem; it does work. :onya

oh, nvm, just had to rename it from American to America, hope you like the dialogs for the soldiers! Both those files should work if you rename them. Now, to work on the citizens...

YES! SUCCESS! I have all the correct dialog for the citizens and soldiers, place these in your dialogs folder, make sure you know where the C's and H's go! Also, Be sure to use ALL the dialog files or it WILL NOT work.

Attachments

• Alice citizen_dialog.h
    6.5 KB · Views: 114
  • America Soldier_dialog.h
    3.2 KB · Views: 106
  • eleuthera citizen_dialog.h
    6.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Eleuthera Soldier_Dialog.h
    2.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Alice citizen_dialog.c
    11.7 KB · Views: 132
  • America Soldier_dialog.c
    5.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Eleuthera soldier_dialog.c
    3.3 KB · Views: 111
  • eleuthera citizen_dialog.c
    11.7 KB · Views: 126
Pieter, be sure to put these files into the next patch.

Downloaded now, so I'll put them in for sure!

If you're into doing this, would you be interested in also making citizen dialogs for all non-stock-game towns? They all need them, especially with directions on where to find the various locations.

sounds good, list all the towns that need new dialog, tell me specifically what you want me to do for each town and I'll see if I can't get to it after exams are finished next week.

Basically every single town that wasn't in the unmodified game. We just need a custom citizen dialog with the directions to the tavern, shipyard, store, etc.
Same as in the stock game towns.

Back