• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Nation's ranks - new ideas

Oh.. now I get it!

Did you see the model that iv'e chosen? I think it looks respectble and the model is abit different uppon every nation. :keith

Yep, that's a nice model for sure. I actually used the Dutch version to represent my character in the game. :cheeky

Oh cool haha.. So.. I will make a few more changes and then attach the complete version.

Few questions -
1. This is a reward, not a "Here's a sh*** officer, you take him hahaha!!", its a reward, so how do I make the officer a good one?

2. Where are the ship models? So I can change the ship that is being given.
To tell you the truth, I do not like the steam ships.. We love this game because it is about the age of sail and pirates... not technology, and progress, and anti slavery, and.. good people :sail Plus, the model you gave me is abit strange, it has 11. somthing speed, which is low for a Frigate, it has an engine which is supposed to make it fast and it has so much sails, if a real ship would of had so much sails and masts it would have been a Ferari ship!!

There's some interesting stuff going on here! :yes
Only thing is it took about 5 MINUTES for my browser to load page 1, before it decided to die on me.
When I reloaded it, I very nearly couldn't even reply! WAY too much code on one page. :shock

Oh, and congrats to miklkit and A Drop O' Rum for your promotions! :cheers

Thanks, I can send you it on a PM or an email if you'd like..

Never mine my last post(only the part about where the ship models) I made the given ship to be FR_BattleFrigate

Hi,

I'm not asking to be a modder or anything but is there anything I can do to help? Testing or something? Could someone please direct me to a begginers guide to modding POTC (if one exists so I can try and learn) and just maybe one day be able to contribute something useful :nk

Well I know VERY little about modding but what I do know is, you need to start from the basics - conversations.
You should ask one of the senior modders who is working on a storyline or a quest to help them with conversations and small stuff(just for the begining) in exchange for a little guidance in your first steps. Eventullay you will become a modder. That's how I learned, I just learned to create a simple, two sentences conversation just a few days ago, from SJG.

Maybe, if you have the time and will, you could draft a conversation, nothing serius just here on the site about - a governor, telling you that you have been promoted,(I will change the name of the rank myself), get 1000 acres of land, a BattleFrigate and an able officer, you could do somthing like - By the power invested in me, etc.
Then, I will TRYYYYY to help you get started, hopefully with the help of other members.

Good luck mate! :doff

AJB, the best way to start modding is tell us what you'd like to do and we'll point you in the right way.
Check Thagarr's signature for a link to a file contain a whole lot of somewhat outdated, but still relevant modding information.

1. This is a reward, not a "Here's a sh*** officer, you take him hahaha!!", its a reward, so how do I make the officer a good one?
Just increasing the number between the model ID and nationality should work.
This is an offset to the player's character rank. If it's 0, the officer will get matching abilities to the player. If it's higher, the officer becomes better than the player with accompanying skills.

2. Where are the ship models? So I can change the ship that is being given.
PROGRAM\Ships\ships_init.c for the code, RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships for the models. You can view the models with the GM Viewer.

To tell you the truth, I do not like the steam ships.. We love this game because it is about the age of sail and pirates... not technology, and progress
It was just an example ship. Anyway, it's not like we're overusing the steamship.
We added it to see how far we could get with it (= not very far, but it looks interesting on screenshots). They'll only appear in the last time period and even then they're very rare.

Well, its on 3 an I get an officer with 40 life and 2 skills on 2 and all the rest on 1.
My player is very strong so I should be getting a very good officer if its on 3!

I did some very quick tests with this. With player level 1 and that value on 0, I got a level 5 navigator.
With that value on 10 instead, I got a level 16 navigator with much better skills.
With the player level increased to 40, I got a level 45 navigation with almost all skills at 10.
So I'm not sure why you are not getting a good officer.

What is your player level when testing this?
If it is really high, did you get it that high through play or through cheating?
I used the cheating method with these two lines, but it should work through regular play just as well:
Code:
			PChar.rank = 40;
pchar.experience = CalculateExperienceFromRank(sti(PChar.rank));

How is Mr. Gibbs set up? I get the impression that his starting skills are tied to yours, and he is pretty decent. There have been times when he got command of a ship because he was my best officer.

AJB, just do it. Learn how to use the tools by using them to make something.

I would like to make a Pirate based career? I have found some of the mod tutorials I shall experiment with various things. What is the simplest thing to start with though. Dialogue? I could try and make the first step of a conversation between a pirate lord and the player?

AJB you are getting wayyyyy to far. You barely know how to make a dialogue and you want to start by making a storyline?
Try making a dialogue for this mod, which we all thought of together, anything that comes to mind about the rewards, officers, ship and etc.
I can't quite do it because im school is starting in a few days, got to start learning, just a little bit.
But I will be active in the forum and try to complete this mod, if anyone can make the dialogues it will be awsome!

Thanks! :onya

Pieter, my testing player is level 19.

Good point about Mr. Gibbs; you indeed can use the same code here:
Code:
				ref sld = LAi_CreateFantomCharacter(false, 0, true, true, 0.25, "bocman5", "sit", "sit5");
LAi_SetImmortal(sld, true);
sld.dialog.filename = "Mr. Gibbs_dialog.c";
sld.money = rand(100);
sld.id = "Mr. Gibbs";
sld.name = "Mr.";
sld.lastname = "Gibbs";
sld.reputation = 65;
sld.quest.officertype = OFFIC_TYPE_BOATSWAIN;
sld.quest.officerprice = 0;//PB
LAi_SetSitType(sld);
LAi_group_MoveCharacter(sld, "TORTUGA_CITIZENS");
LAi_SetImmortal(sld, true);
You might want to change some of these lines to what you want though and not all of it is even necessary.
However, this does not set him as your officer. That is done through this code in PROGRAM\DIALOGS\Mr. Gibbs_dialog.c:
Code:
			Pchar.quest.HiringOfficerIDX = GetCharacterIndex(NPChar.id);
NPChar.quest.officerprice = "1000"; // PB
AddDialogExitQuest("LandEnc_OfficerHired");
NPChar.dialog.filename = "Enc_Officer_dialog.c";
NPChar.dialog.CurrentNode = "hired";
LAi_SetImmortal(NPChar, false);
This latter code MUST be executed through dialog though, otherwise it won't work right.

Sorry Pieter, lost you there mate... :wp :wp :facepalm

I don't really understand what Mr.Gibbs has to do with our officer gone noob problem :slap
We need another tester, Pieter you tested it and it worked, I tested it and it didn't and we are absolutley sure that we have the same NK file, so, we need another tester.

If someone lacks the new NK.c file -

Attachments

• NK.c
    56.9 KB · Views: 89
I was thinking that Mr. Gibbs already works kinda sorta like you want, so you could look at his files and maybe find something you could use. How does he work out for you? He is generally not quite as good as I am when I hire him.

What is the best way to test this NK.c file? I don't know how to use the console and have things going on at Cozumel. :eek:ops2 Maybe I'll just start another game. :will

So, you are a modder now and a good way to be able to mod without game interferences is to make a copy of the whole game, with the saves, patches and etc.
Like that, you could "experiment" there and play in your real one.

Back