• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Ship Models?

However, the problem is I've also HEX-edited them to point to the newly named deck/desk file variants, so that would need undoing in CoAS if pgargon were to fix only my versions, or doing again in PotC if he fixes only his originals.
True. You can set up Notepad++ as HEX Editor and let GM files automatically be opened with the HEX Editor plugin of Notepad++.
That makes HEX editing REAL quick. You might want to have a look into that.
Will do. So does that mean the separate HEX Editor isn't strictly necessary for the editing process, when I could simply have used Notepad++, which I already had...? :huh

Also, be sure to check out "The Rename" if you want to mass-rename files,
for example when you want to change a ship's folder and GM file names.
Er, I already tried it when renaming the SoleyRu GM files to SoleilRoyal, but the damn thing just renamed them to 'SoleilRoyal(1-20)' :modding, so I ended up renaming them manually after all, using Manowar3 for reference.
Perhaps I just need to get used to it more, but either way it shouldn't be required for the process of porting most ships anyway.

I don't have "The Rename" installed at the moment, but it IS possible to replaced parts of the filenames properly; I did it before.

Sorry about the HEX editor confusion; yes, you CAN use Notepad++.
I only recommended the seperate one because the Notepad++ method is a bit trickier to set up.
First you need to install the HEX editor plugin, then set it up so any GM file is opened automatically with that plugin
and then setup any GM file to be opened with Notepad++.

I don't have "The Rename" installed at the moment, but it IS possible to replaced parts of the filenames properly; I did it before.
I know, I think I just did it wrong with the SoleilRoyal files first time.
I could have corrected it and experimented with them there and then if the stupid 'undo' function actually worked! :modding

I'll try sorting out the Notepad HEX editor plugin when I get round to it.
It's kind of strange for me right now, since my next decisions depend largely on the actions of other people on the forum.
I guess there's nothing I can do for now but actually PLAY the game for once. Wow, when was the last time I properly did that? xD:

Doing some playing is always a good idea and something I get to do WAAAY too little. :facepalm

LOL, welcome to the world of modding Experienced Captain, most of the modder's haven't played the game for so long that its unreal. Thats why most of the COAS team took a break after 3.1 was released so that they could play the game but even then many was fixing bugs they found. :facepalm

While i'm thinking about it (wasn't sure where to post this) seemed a good place in this forum but didn't think it would be a good idea to make a topic for it but if a mod decides otherwise then ok. Anyway here is a site i was looking at a few minutes ago which has many ship models that might be of interest to modelers. http://www.thepirateking.com/ships/ship_types.htm

Well if a new HMS Suprise is made then the old HMS Suprise can take the role of the HMS Providence see link for details. http://pirates.wikia.com/wiki/HMS_Providence

Hi, remember that on the Surprise i have changed only the number of cannons, the stuffs on the deck with more detailed ones, the bow and i have added the lifeboats on the deck and some other details...

Hi, remember that on the Surprise i have changed only the number of cannons, the stuffs on the deck with more detailed ones, the bow and i have added the lifeboats on the deck and some other details...

Does this mean the new modelis finished?

Other than new ship models, I would like to see many of the current clutter cleared (lesser good ql models) which I believe is planned. Though I more-so would love to see those crew path errors fixed so they actually walk on my ship and climb the correct ladders.

An amazing new ship model could be ruined due to your crew are walking near the topsails or you only see their top half through the deck.

Yes i fully agree, this is also planned for COAS combined mods aswell, but what we're doing is replacing those that are concidered poor models by today's standards and putting in either remakes of them or new models. There are some ships that will not be replaced but thats to reduce the amount of that ships type we have like Pinnace's which we have now done. But there are so many ships its very time consuming to go through them all.

For POTC which has more ships than what COAS has this must be a nightmare and i wish those guy's the best of luck, some hard dicsissions will have to be made for some models but sometimes you have to be propared to cut your favourites, i like trade ships so removing the Pinnace's wasn't easy but it had to be done and there are other ships i like but will need to be replaced or removed in COAS.

The problem for POTC is some models are set as parts of stories which is a lot of work to replce, i've actually lost count how many models are in POTC now. xD:

Indeed we have a HUGE selection of ships to go through!
In fact, checking the MODELS/Ships folder, we have (including all textures and the 8 ships in the Historical Ship Pack) a grand total of 228 ships! :shock
That number won't get much smaller though, since there are many ships below standard which really need replacing and/or we'd hate to lose due to great textures!

Anyway, speaking of the HSP, I'm currently fine-tuning the pennants to ensure they are all long and thin, as opposed to short and fat. :onya
Once I've done that... I don't know really. Should I:
1) release the pack WITH the reverse lighting bugs, and put the fixed models in once they're done?
or 2) wait until the fixed models are available, include them, THEN release it?
What does anyone think? It's your decision as a community. :shrug

Indeed we have a HUGE selection of ships to go through!
In fact, checking the MODELS/Ships folder, we have (including all textures and the 8 ships in the Historical Ship Pack) a grand total of 228 ships! :shock
That number won't get much smaller though, since there are many ships below standard which really need replacing and/or we'd hate to lose due to great textures!

Anyway, speaking of the HSP, I'm currently fine-tuning the pennants to ensure they are all long and thin, as opposed to short and fat. :onya
Once I've done that... I don't know really. Should I:
1) release the pack WITH the reverse lighting bugs, and put the fixed models in once they're done?
or 2) wait until the fixed models are available, include them, THEN release it?
What does anyone think? It's your decision as a community. :shrug
Wait... DON'T ever release unfinished work...

Agreed! Emphatically! It will be finished when it is finished. Look at what you are doing now. Mostly you are removing/replacing unfinished ships. :walkplank Do you really want to do this again sometime in the future? :8q

Woah, sorry for causing an uproar! :8q Point taken!
I'm just unsure how long it will be before pgargon manages to fix the reverse lighting bug.
And I wondered if anyone was getting impatient to get their hands on them in-game, but I guess you'll have to wait. :shrug

Captain Hog, we have a new tool that allows us to convert crew files between PotC and AoP/CoAS.
Could you make a list of ships with incorrect or missing crew so that we can see which of those we can fix?

Experienced Captain, I'd vote for releasing the pack with the bug and release a V2 when it's fixed.
Anything that's released is out of the way and it prevents it from somehow accidentally getting lost one day before release. :facepalm

Experienced Captain, I'd vote for releasing the pack with the bug and release a V2 when it's fixed.
Anything that's released is out of the way and it prevents it from somehow accidentally getting lost one day before release. :facepalm
Now there's good points for and against releasing it with the bug... :wacko:

I was originally planning on doing what you suggested there, initially releasing it with the bug, and updating it as and when the fixed models are done. But then I was told that's a no-go...
I guess I should clarify: the reverse lighting bug does NOT affect the ships in any other way except appearance; they are perfectly usable with or without it. The only difference is that the wrong side of the ship is lit up when the sun shines on it. Would anyone REALLY object to such a minor issue preventing early release? (or technically, very late release :facepalm )
If not, I can release the pack... tomorrow, probably! But if I wait, I've no idea when I can release the final version.
I should mention that the pack is currently sitting there waiting for me to compile and upload at any time, and I've only got a couple of things to double-check before I can do so. It isn't 'unfinished' as such, since all the ships are present and ready, so I see no overwhelming reason why I can't go ahead with release.
However, even if I DON'T release it at this time, I can promise that I'm not planning on abandoning the project, or PA!, any time soon, so I assure you it won't get 'accidentally lost'. :onya If something does come up, I'll upload all the files to the FTP anyway.

I know under normal rules not to release something in less your sure it has no bugs but to me ships are different, the reverse lighting is something that can be seen with some models from the past and no one has complained that i know of anyway. If i was in your position i would release the ships pack and update it when you have the fixed models.

Take the ships packs i released for COAS talmost every ship had its imagies missing (i was new and have only just found out how to fix that) but no one minded, yes people said about the pictures but it wasn't game breaking and thats what matters.

Of course all the ships imagies have been fixed now although we are still trying to workout how to fix the ships thumbnail imagies whicg are really annoying us because we can't get them to work. All that means is when you walk into the store and try to purchase some cargo the ships picture doesn't show but clicking on where your companions ship picture would be will move you over to do what ever you was going to do.

Back