• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Ship Models?

Before I discovered this site I spent years at a place that had dedicated teams working on mods. Their time frame was often years. One huge project took 4 years to complete. Hmm. I keep saying "years". Anyhoo, the last thing you want to do is pressure the artists doing the work. Those artistic types can be so touchy......that is why I said to wait until it is done. How is PGargon doing anyway?

The list is not complete yet, I'll just edit this one and add to it as I find vessels with crew path errors:

Flying Dutchman (crew walking file seems to be for a totally different ship)
Enterprize (minor)
Intrepid
Interceptor (also a first person walk issue)
Indiaman
Heavy Caravel
Battle Corvette
Light Battleship
Heavy Warship
Dutch two-decker
Pinnance2
Amsterdam
Schooner (double checking)
Lineship
Yatch
Warship (minor bug)
Lineship3
12 Gun Cutter
War Pinnance
Endevour (I checked the files and there appears to be two models, one for the PotC SOL and the other, some sort of Frigate version too)
Spanish Fast Galleon

Anyhoo, the last thing you want to do is pressure the artists doing the work. Those artistic types can be so touchy......that is why I said to wait until it is done. How is PGargon doing anyway?
I don't know how pgargon is getting on with fixing the bug, but I'd like to let him work at his own pace without any pressure to finish it ASAP. :onya
Part of the reason I'd like to release the pack early is so that we're not, effectively, waiting for him to finish, so he can have as much time as needed to sort it out, and I can release the update once he's done.
That way, no-one gets pressurised into working to deadlines, and everyone can have these amazing ships much, much sooner!
As I said, I only have a couple of things to sort out before I consider the pack officially finished, minus the fixed models.
I see no reason why I can't release the pack this afternoon... how does that sound? :woot

I'm used to an attitude where if the modders say "It will be out by Christmas.", we say "Cool! What year?". And wait patiently. Things seem to be different here and I need an attitude adjustment.

You are the ones doing the work, and if you want to release this pack, then do so.

I'm used to an attitude where if the modders say "It will be out by Christmas.", we say "Cool! What year?". And wait patiently. Things seem to be different here and I need an attitude adjustment.

You are the ones doing the work, and if you want to release this pack, then do so.
True, things here do seem to be different to that, which obviously has it's pros and cons.
Admittedly, I'm not used to the kind of time-spans you described. :will
In this case, I believe near-perfection has been reached and is therefore suitable to be released.
I was just beginning to get annoyed, since the ships have been sat only on my PC for several weeks.
So releasing it now seems the right thing to do. Don't worry, you'll forgive me once you get them in your game! ;)

...and 3, 2, 1... it's just finished uploading to the FTP!

Hi, the surprise is ready, she doesn't have the reverse lighting bug, but the blot simply doesn't appear, any idea how to fix it?

I don't know much about the blots, so I can't help you there. :?

Anyway, I've also uploaded the Historical Ship Pack, along with an accompanying news article, on ModDB.
Both are awaiting approval by an administrator... but can still be downloaded/viewed respectively.

I will ALWAYS vote for making files available as soon as possible, even if they're not finished.
I've had TOO many times in the past that, despite people's best intentions, they or their files just disappeared and we lost a lot of goodness.
I have NO objections whatsoever to releasing WIP material, as long as people know that's what it is.
It always helps with keeping the modders on the same page too.
We've also had it in the past that people kept their files to themselves for a long time,
until the differences between modders' game versions got so big that merging became a real pain. :facepalm

Captain Hog: Can you add the Spanish Fast Galleon?

Pieter: I did not realize that there has been so much turnover here. It sounds like a revolving door and I can see how that would make you nervous.

I get an idea, i'll upload the surprise ready for the game and also the maya version so the other modders can try of fixing the blot bug... What do you think?

I get an idea, i'll upload the surprise ready for the game and also the maya version so the other modders can try of fixing the blot bug... What do you think?
The sooner, the better, as per Pieter's reasoning. :onya
That way, I can sort the flag locators for you, using the game-ready version.

EDIT: News on ModDB: the download and article have been approved, so feel free to take a look at them when you get a chance. :yes

Well, I finally got around to dl'ing this pack. Will a new game be required? What is the best method to install it? I ask because sometimes drag'n drop and copy and paste doesn't work, so I end up having to install each file individually. TIA.

Well, I finally got around to dl'ing this pack. Will a new game be required? What is the best method to install it? I ask because sometimes drag'n drop and copy and paste doesn't work, so I end up having to install each file individually. TIA.
No new game is needed, just a reinit (F11). I'd recommend just copy-and-pasting the folders to the main game directory; that should work fine. :yes

It IS like a revolving door here. Many oldtimers leave and make place for new members.
We do always have at least some people around, but there's hardly any "core" group.
I think of the current members, I'm pretty much the only one who's been here pretty consistantly over the past few years.
And even I only joined around the release of Build 12.

Great job on compiling the ship pack, Experienced Captain!
I have now given you the rights you need to edit and remove the old pictures.
I will download the pack when I get back home in a few months though...

Did you include the crew walk files as well? I think Pgargon's ships do have sailorspoints files,
which we can now easily convert into PotC. :woot

Great job on compiling the ship pack, Experienced Captain!
I have now given you the rights you need to edit and remove the old pictures.
I will download the pack when I get back home in a few months though...

Did you include the crew walk files as well? I think Pgargon's ships do have sailorspoints files,
which we can now easily convert into PotC. :woot
Way ahead of you, mate. ;) I converted the walk files a while ago; they're in the pack.

As for the ModDB rights, I'm yet to confirm that due to a problem... I think I posted it as an edit somewhere... :modding

Cheers, mate. :doff

Why isn't the ship pack appearing on the New Horizons mod profile as a Download though?
The News post is there but the download isn't. I only found it through my notifications. :wacko:

Why isn't the ship pack appearing on the New Horizons mod profile as a Download though?
The News post is there but the download isn't. I only found it through my notifications. :wacko:
Ah, that's because it counts as an 'addon', not a 'download'- a new tab has been added to the profile marked 'addons', containing the pack. ;)

But as I said in my last post, I HAVE A PROBLEM: please see here for details. :shock

Updated list of ships with Crew issues.... not fully completed yet... its tough getting a hold of ships I can not afford or find yet :p

Flying Dutchman (crew walking file seems to be for a totally different ship)
Enterprize (minor crew bug)
Intrepid
Interceptor (also a first person walk issue)
Indiaman
Heavy Caravel
Battle Corvette (terrible texture and old model, crew rigging issue)
Light Battleship
Heavy Warship
Dutch two-decker
Pinnance2
Amsterdam
Schooner (double checking)
Lineship
Yatch
Warship (minor bug)
Lineship3
12 Gun Cutter
War Pinnance
Endevour (I checked the files and there appears to be two models, one for the PotC SOL and the other, some sort of Frigate version too)
Spanish Fast Galleon
Ketch (Crew sunk into the deck)
Scooner Xebec (Crew walking above the deck)
Batavia (Crew sunk into the deck)

Back