• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Officer perk contributions

I want to leave the repair perks as they are, but I liked his image a lot and so I wanted to add another repair perk between the two you have now.

Besides that I agree on splitting the defence perks. But do all shipdefence perks actually reduce crew damage because I can't find a reference to this except in the musketvolley.

The image does look good, and ties in better with the concept of damage control rather than damage prevention. We don't need more repair perks to use it, we could just use it to replace one of the existing ship defence perk icons.

All of this looks great. All I have to add is, if a new perk is to be added to tell the player about the doctor's healing, it would make sense to me if at the same time just go to the formula for healing after battle and make the perk give a +20% to healing effect or something like that.

Then have the description say "This perk increases the ability of the doctor to heal wounds after battle by 20%"

That way, it will both tell the player that the doctor has a healing ability (any logical player will conclude that something being increased 20% must exist), and provide a useful way for doctors to spend their perk points.

I think adding that multiple to the formula will probably be at least as easy as adding an "always on" functionality for the perk, so I'd say it makes sense to do. But just throwing the idea out there. :)

Finally, if it does prove difficult to split the defense perks, I like what @Pieter Boelen mentioned earlier about the possibility of just moving everything to the carpenter. Presumably the damage control guy is the guy who actually funnels the wounded to the surgeon below deck, so he could have some influence on the immediate impact of crew damage, with the surgeon handling the crew healing afterwards. Either way works, but that seems a viable possibility.

I think you can see the Carpenters job , when a canonball makes a big damages to hull, as a defense job ( defense against the ship goes down;))
The first thing he will do, is sinking a piece of sail down in the water, outside the hull, to close the damage (defense against the water, so it wont
float inside the hull). After that the reparation can be done safely.

Last edited:
Based on your suggestions I made these:

First Aid
AdvancedFirstAid.jpg
ProfessionalFirstAid.jpg

Damage Control
BasicDamageControl.jpg
AdvancedDamageControl.jpg
ProfessionalDamageControl.jpg

Boy, the last one looks brutal.

Cure Injuries
CureInjuries.jpg

It's up to you, which ones you want to use (or if you even want them this way).

Last edited:
Very nice! The "Cure Injuries" one would also be suitable if Professional First Aid is implemented. I like the bottle of rum, especially since in game a bottle of rum does have a health-giving ability. :drunk

@Cassadar I forgot one. Could you make a nice image for a perk which resupplies the bullets and gunpowder in your guns?

Could you make a nice image for a perk which resupplies the bullets and gunpowder in your guns?
Yes, I just need to think about how it should look like. I suppose this would be the Gunner's special perk then?

Last edited:
This is to be another one of those "communicate to the player" perks then, eh?
Cool! :cheers

Here is another small preview.
For now I've set the special perks to a cost of 1 point.
reloaderperk.png

I would like the opinion of other people about this. Should this perk be for free or should it actually cost points?

Aren't these perks that certain officer types ALWAYS have?
And that officers of different types (including the player) simply cannot get?
In other words: Shouldn't they function as they do now with the only difference being that they show in the interface?

If so, their cost is a moot point as they'd never need to be bought.

Aren't these perks that certain officer types ALWAYS have?
And that officers of different types (including the player) simply cannot get?
In other words: Shouldn't they function as they do now with the only difference being that they show in the interface?

If so, their cost is a moot point as they'd never need to be bought.
I could make it so they are always picked first at the perk selection. if I make them cost 0 effectively every of these officers will have it on default. I could even make it so they are just always enable no matter what. That way even if you switch roles the perk will be activated.
But I wanted to look at it like this first and maybe have it as something special for this officertype and add a bit of cost to it. Officers will have perkpoints to spare very quickly so personally I'd prefer to give some cost to these perks too so officers take a bit longer to get all their contirbuting perks.

Perks are things any character, including the player, can get.

The reason why only a Gunner re supplies ammo and only a doctor reduces after-battle casualties is to ensure officers remain useful even if you have a Superman player character.
This is not something we should want to lose. This is a direction we should want to explore further.

Basically, the more players NEED their officers and need ALL of them even at the very end of the game, the better it will end up being.
It only makes sense anyway.

Back