• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Officer perk contributions

the perks shown in the screenshots are only avaible for the respective officertype

@Levis Better don't require points for those two. Most players don't react well if stuff get's "taken away" from them and it doesn't really matter if they are able to unlock this again. Better leave those two as they are; means, make them always active. You can consider your thoughts for some new special or "luxury" perks in the future though.

Last edited:
okay, the perks are auto enabled now. it's nicer indeed.
While working on this I noticed some problems with the perks code so it might be @ANSEL was noticing some strange things. I'm not 100% sure but I noticed some things were programmed a bit "weak" and could break, so I fixed that and are still making it a bit more robust. While working on that I remembered some people having problems with the interface so I decided to add this:
contributing.png

See if you can spot the difference :).

newperks.png

Getting there :).
I believe the whole perk thing is done now. let's see how many bugs I can fix today, first time for diner and a movie. then i'll see if I can fix some stuff before I upload it again :).
Thanks again for all the nice images @Cassadar

So those old ship defense perks are now not used. Those images are nice though, maybe we can't use all of them but I was thinking on using the first, or the first two for perks which make it harder for your ship to get boarded. That does sound logical right? and if you are playing as a merchant for example you probably like perks like that.

How often do players get boarded without it being on purpose?

I may be wrong, but I vaguely remember that the auto boarding by NPC ships only happens at times when you could board them too.
If that is indeed the case, making it harder for them to do it but also harder for yourself.
Of course it shouldn't work like that, but better check that first.

How often do players get boarded without it being on purpose?

I may be wrong, but I vaguely remember that the auto boarding by NPC ships only happens at times when you could board them too.
If that is indeed the case, making it harder for them to do it but also harder for yourself.
Of course it shouldn't work like that, but better check that first.
true the other party could have the perks too. but we could make it so mostly merchants have it.
I've noticed now that captains are better and for example pirates have boarding perks etc you will have cases where the enemy will actually board you before you can sometimes. I don't know how good the AI is and if it will go for boarding or shooting you (or if there even is a choice) but I do know they do board you at times.

I do know the AI boards you sometimes, but I always understood they only ever do so at times when you could have boarded them as well.
If that is indeed the case (which hopefully it is NOT!), then making a perk that reduces the chance of being boarded would also make it harder for you to board anyone else. :facepalm

I do know the AI boards you sometimes, but I always understood they only ever do so at times when you could have boarded them as well.
If that is indeed the case (which hopefully it is NOT!), then making a perk that reduces the chance of being boarded would also make it harder for you to board anyone else. :facepalm
If they have the perk ofcourse :).
And like I said we have different captain types so we could make it some of them do have the perks and other don't.
If they get officers we can try to balance it in a way the officer which gets the perk for reducing boarding chances is only given to for example merchants.

It was only an idea, I don't want those images to go to waste :(.

I think you are misunderstanding me. My concern is with the way the "AI boarding the player" is currently coded.
Do they board when THEY should be able to or do they board only when YOU would be able to?
I fear it is the second, which makes absolutely no sense and, if so, would first need to be corrected before your idea could be made to work.

I think you are misunderstanding me. My concern is with the way the "AI boarding the player" is currently coded.
Do they board when THEY should be able to or do they board only when YOU would be able to?
I fear it is the second, which makes absolutely no sense and, if so, would first need to be corrected before your idea could be made to work.
I've experienced situations where I didn't have the boarding icon yet but I was boarded by AI

Difficult to tell without examining the code though; for all you know,
the boarding icon would have appeared at the exact second that you were boarded. :unsure

Anyway, maybe it indeed is already OK. I sure hope so!

@Levis I can't make it work. Look a little strange.
I posted a savegame, so you can see its behavior.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Open Sea May 17th, 1814.zip
    854.5 KB · Views: 119
@Levis Yes a f11 was done. maybe I dont understand system.

If you will try to manage the perks in my savegame, you will see the problems.

@Levis Yes a f11 was done. maybe I dont understand system.

If you will try to manage the perks in my savegame, you will see the problems.
Could you give more information because I don't see any problems.
What kind of problems do you find?
I only see a small error in the error.log file, it seems I forgot to add a check somewhere to see if a attribute exists, but it only appears once so that shouldn't be the problem you describe right...

Tried this and started a brand new savegame. The game somehow needs a lot more time to load now, but what's really weird is the way the Ability menu behaves now. If you click on it in the Character menu, the game freezes for a short time. Then the list of all the perks shows up, but if you click on the button "Show available perks" the list is empty.

Perhaps I did something wrong; compile, system and error.log attached. The path at the bottom of system.log doesn't even exist on my HDD.

Attachments

• compile.log
    15.7 KB · Views: 128
  • error.log
    271.5 KB · Views: 133
  • system.log
    13 KB · Views: 143
@Cassadar could you maybe do a
Code:
DumpAttributes(pchar);
from the console and post the results here?
I will look at it tomorrow then.
I had to change quite some things to how perks work so it looks like I've overlooked something, but I need that info to know for sure. I only tested it on a existing savegame ...

Back