• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Officer perk contributions

You could see if this makes a difference.
Place it in:
..\PROGRAM\INTERFACE

Attachments

• perks.c
    20.9 KB · Views: 150
You could see if this makes a difference.
Place it in:
..\PROGRAM\INTERFACE
Much better; the list shows up again. Though not on officers, at least not always, which is weird.

from the console and post the results here?
I will look at it tomorrow then.
I had to change quite some things to how perks work so it looks like I've overlooked something, but I need that info to know for sure. I only tested it on a existing savegame ...
Ok, hope this is correct:

Attachments

• compile.log
    15.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
@Levis Started a new game. Still seems weird to me .I have done a
DumpAttributes(pchar); So here is the log.
Also I have this error messages:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: Characters\perks\perks.c; line: 860
missed attribute: freepoints

Attachments

• error.log
    248.9 KB · Views: 135
  • compile.log
    31 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Huh, I'm afraid I broke it. As soon as Artois Voysey was a surgeon this happened:
20161003025149_1.jpg

Or he's protesting, because he likes to be a navigator and wants to get his revenge on me now by messing up everything. You never know.
I better copy and upgrade my backup of the July version and see what happens; must have forgotten something.

Last edited:
Also: The performance at land is now unstable again.
Edit: After installing the Perk.c ZIP:

Huh, I'm afraid I broke it. As soon as Artois Voysey was a surgeon this happened:
View attachment 28476

Or he's protesting, because he likes to be a navigator and wants to get his revenge on me now by messing up everything. You never know.
I better copy and upgrade my backup of the July version and see what happens; must have forgotten something.
@Cassadar think this should fix it. sorry for the problems. I can't yet see why I didn't have these problems.
@ANSEL could you try this one too?
Do you still get error logs after installing this one?
Place it again in
..\PROGRAM\INTERFACE

I will try to fix it today, but I'm at work so I can't test it ingame. tonight i should be able to fix it fully

Attachments

• perks.c
    21 KB · Views: 155
Perhaps call these "Officer Ability" or something similar. The gunner's ability to provide free ammo and the surgeon's ability to heal casualties from battle should not be perks to be bought, they should be innate abilities for those officer types.

The gunner one doesn't really need to be changed, you get the on-screen message that the gunner has provided everyone with ammo. It's the surgeon's one which needs to be explained to the player. But doing the same for the gunner won't do any harm.

Perhaps call these "Officer Ability" or something similar. The gunner's ability to provide free ammo and the surgeon's ability to heal casualties from battle should not be perks to be bought, they should be innate abilities for those officer types.

The gunner one doesn't really need to be changed, you get the on-screen message that the gunner has provided everyone with ammo. It's the surgeon's one which needs to be explained to the player. But doing the same for the gunner won't do any harm.
its already in the game now. At the moment they are called Special Perk and are auto enabled. So the player sees it and can see in the description what it does. We can change the name very easily

think this should fix it. sorry for the problems. I can't yet see why I didn't have these problems.
No worries, it happens. With your latest fix the list looks this way:
20161003144345_1.jpg

There's another problem though. I cheated Artois to level 10, so he has some points to spare. Then I tried to give him perks like Basic Defense. The points were gone after that, but he didn't seem to learn them. The perks stay grey, regardless how many times you click on them. The same happens on your own character.

The error.log says this multiple times, nothing else:
Code:
missed attribute: freepoints
no rAP data

There is something weird going on with freepoints in your games.
I will have a closer look at it tonight.
But looks like we're almost there.
Please try this zip @Cassadar (extract to potc folder)

Attachments

• Fixes_perks.zip
    13 KB · Views: 119
Please try this zip @Cassadar (extract to potc folder)
Okay, tried everything with a fresh installed version of the September 23rd WIP and your latest stuff + fixes. The problem with unlearnable perks still occurs, but the list itself looks fine.
20161003175101_1.jpg

One exception though: if you have no free points and click on "Show available Perks" this happens:
20161003175119_1.jpg

There's no error.log.

Last edited:
Confirmed, everything is awesome now. Thanks @Levis.

One little detail though:
20161003210744_1.jpg 20161003210751_1.jpg

Both First Aid perks have the same description; is this intended? Could confuse some players.

Confirmed, everything is awesome now. Thanks @Levis.

One little detail though:
View attachment 28494 View attachment 28495

Both First Aid perks have the same description; is this intended? Could confuse some players.
one should say 30. I will change it and reupload in a minute. Good to hear everything else works as planned :)

Edit: Please download and install the reupped fix:
Mod Release - Levis' Stuff [October 3th] | PiratesAhoy!
After that do F11 and it should be fixed now

Btw another point for dicussion.

At the moment the new perk will only block hulldamage, thats why it's reduced in cost a bit too. There are now perks which block hulldamage and perks which block crew damage.
But there is no perk which blocks rigging/sail damage. I can imagine these are unrealistic, but maybe we do want to add them and disable them with realistic abilities because I can imagine people would like to have a perk which reduces rigging damage. Especially because in the past the ship defense perks did this but now they will only do hulldamage (hence I enabled the 2nd level for realistic abilties also, now only the one which also prevent crits is disabled in realistic abilities).

Just like hull damage can be quickly repaired by a skilled carpenter who knows how to deal with leaks,
I suppose skilled crew could reduce permanent damage to the rigging too.
So I have no objection in there being an ability for that.

@Levis My suggestion is:

Boatswain gets the rigging perks (I think Boatswain were in charge of maintaining the rigging historically, and nice to reflect that their role wasn't purely combat and boarding).

BTW, we still need to do something about the poor First Mate. Everyone else is getting cooler and more thematic. Maybe as a quick measure, and to implement Pieter's idea of using officer personal skills more widely with that special function, Go to the formula where player crew morale is determined, and wherever leadership is checked, replace it with 1/2 leadership + 1/2 firstmate personal leadership. Then firstmate becomes important to maintaining discipline on a larger ship, but player's leadership still matters as well.

Just a way to quickly give him something, before more extensive changes.

Ok, have to run now, bye everyone! :)

@Levis Still not right here. Maybe my setup making me troubles? ( Auto Skill of, Unlock Perks, Perks cost 1)
If you think I ought to change the setup, I will do that happily?

Attachments

• compile.log
    77 KB · Views: 116
  • error.log
    994 bytes · Views: 118
Back