• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Pc Upgrade

What should I upgrade?

• The GPU

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • The Processor

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • The Motherboard

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • My RAM

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • The Case (Haf 932)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ah, ok, thanks.

Why the scare? The sata versions are as cheap as $130USD. It's the PCIE versions that are expensive.

Installing that new harddrive was so annoying!
It was already in my computer, but it didn't seem to recognize it. It was two hours of pushing buttons, restarting the computer, looking things up, trying to not rage too too hard, and so forth.

BUT! We did it and I am very happy!
Next weekend is the only thing I need to do: put in the broken hard drive and try to get the files off it and on my new one.
(I won't do the music, @Pieter Boelen. It's just too much. ;P)

Believe me mate, I know just how frustrating it can be!! Glad you got it up and running, good luck with your files.

Thanks!
Just waiting for the weekend. This week has just too many darned tests!

Only a few more days. I can't wait!

I just finished putting the old and broken HDD in, copying the files, and pulling the cables back out. I left the thing unconnected in there, just for IF I forgot to copy something.
Now I need to clean my desk and organize my folders again and then it will all be done! :woot

Here is it: Boot1.png Boot2.png Boot3.png

Hi!
I took another look and I liked how these parts look:
Intel Core i7-6700k Tray
EVGA GeForce GTX 970

But what powersupply and 16 gigs of ram would I need with these?

And I forgot to ask the motherboard.
Is that still that ASUS one?

Last edited:
I think I'll go for the cheaper one. I don't see important differences.

I forgot to ask the CPU fan, too.
So: What CPU fan or heatsink or something should I use?
There is no stock one with the CPU because I chose the tray version. I want to overclock (to 5 GHz, if possible) too.

I took a little read and saw its maximum safe amount of GHz is 4.8. A little bit disappointing, to be honest. But I'm sure 4.8GHz would run just fine too.

This one is a bit tougher, and it really depends a lot on your experience, exactly what you plan on using your computer for. As a general rule, liquid coolers, like the one that you have on your system now do preform better over air coolers. With liquid coolers though, you do run the risk of some day facing the possibility of a leak or cracked rubber hoses. Certainly not a pleasant thought, and it is one reason that all of my builds have been strictly air cooled only. That being said however, most new liquid coolers are a LOT more reliable than the older liquid cooling technology, so they are much safer.

I understand the desire to overclock, I used to do quite a lot of it myself back in the 80's and 90's, but in my opinion, with today’s new systems, there really isn't much of an advantage to doing it. Most modern CPU's already have 2 built in clock cycles that kick in automatically depending on CPU load, and you really do not gain that much by trying to push it farther. In fact, you risk frying your CPU, and possibly other components for a few extra frames or Mhz, it really isn't worth the risk. As long as you have a good video card, and an SSD, any modern CPU will handle any game without an issue. Just a bit of friendly advice, feel free to completely ignore it!

That being said, one company that I have used for a while now is Arctic Cooling, they have some pretty good coolers on the market for a very reasonable price. They may not be the pinnacle of cooling technology, but they are very much top of the line when it comes to price for performance. I ran an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro air cooler on my last desktop build that lasted 7+ years, and would still be going strong if my power supply hadn't died. Here are a couple of Arctics current offerings.

Arctic Cooling Freezer i32 CO €43,99

Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 240

Obviously, you will need to make sure that any cooler that you choose will fit in your case. If you are reusing your current case though, it shouldn’t be an issue, your case is massive!

Hmmph. The risk is in OCing the fragile intels. I've been running 5 ghz 24/7 for nearly a year now on air cooling. With AMD when you get to 4.8+ the increase in performance is geometric, not linear.

Those AIO coolers only cool better than big air when the fans are revved up to jet airplane decibel levels. The loudest thing in my case is the video card. And technically they are the same now as they were years ago because they are all Asetek based due to lawsuits.

I too like Arctic Cooling. The I/A32 is their replacement for the I/A30 which I have used. But it is still just a mid range cooler and the twin towers cool much better. When it comes to the twin towers my advice is: What is your favorite color? Their overall performance is that close.

I really like the Arctic Cooling F12 fans and have 3 of them in my case. The F12 PWM has really good stats in pull mode, making it a good case fan behind a filter.

Obviously, you will need to make sure that any cooler that you choose will fit in your case. If you are reusing your current case though, it shouldn’t be an issue, your case is massive!
I am reusing my case, my fans and my storage.

And while I was sick I did a little more research. I heard the new line of Nvidia would come out in June. And I already planned to buy the parts in the summer vacation, which is from July to August. So if the new GTX 1080 (Perfect for 4K gaming) comes out, the GTX 980 (Ti) will be a lot cheaper, and I can buy that!

Back