• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Pc Upgrade

What should I upgrade?

• The GPU

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • The Processor

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • The Motherboard

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • My RAM

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • The Case (Haf 932)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thagarr said:So that means I can't get the one you requested earlier, because I live in Holland?

No, what I meant was that their motherboard selection wasn't as broad as it is in the US. I looked for an Asus, but couldn't find one earlier, but they do have one : Asus Z170A

And a review sais:I want to buid a beast gaming pc. Would that still work?

If your wanting to build a "Beast" gaming system, you better plan on spending at least twice, if not 3 times the price I quoted above. The components I have so far recommended are good value for the money, but they are certainly not top of the line gaming components. If you would like me to recommend that type of equipment, I certainly can, but you won't like those prices at all. :no

Ayup. A $500 USD video card is average these days. Two of them rock.

About the I/O port shield, leave it off. All it does is create a dead air space that causes the motherboard to overheat. If dust is coming in there, then real actual intake fans are needed.
2015-04-01 07.17.40.jpg 2013-11-26 06.38.42.jpg

LOL! No, it is just the piece of tin that fits in the rectangular space where all the plugs are. I removed the rear fan grill because it is a restriction to air flow. Without it the computer runs quieter and cooler. I also removed the PCI slot covers to increase air flow.

Thagarr said:
The components I have so far recommended are good value for the money, but they are certainly not top of the line gaming components. If you would like me to recommend that type of equipment, I certainly can, but you won't like those prices at all. :no
Can you recommend parts that fit in 950 bucks?

I still don't understand entirely what you mean with:
No, what I meant was that their motherboard selection wasn't as broad as it is in the US.
Do you mean I can still get the one you recommend the first, or can't I get that one so I'll have to get the other one?

I still don't understand entirely what you mean with:
Do you mean I can still get the one you recommend the first, or can't I get that one so I'll have to get the other one?

I posted the others as a possible alternative, that first MSI board I posted is still available, as far as I know.

Thagarr said:Can you recommend parts that fit in 950 bucks?

I will take a look when I get the chance.

I sent my computer to the computer-expert, so he can check the thing out, and see what's wrong.
He will even look for possible upgrades.
I would get it back in 10 days or so.

I sent my computer to the computer-expert, so he can check the thing out, and see what's wrong.
He will even look for possible upgrades.
I would get it back in 10 days or so.

Interesting ... curious to hear what he has to say, and what he recommends.

Ok, I did a quick search, keep in mind these are working with the €950 you said you could spend. Although I did go a but over, total is €974.95. I might be able to get it cheaper, I'll look later.

ASUS Z170-DELUXE LGA 1151 €293,99

Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 €187,99

HyperX Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) €151,99

ASUS GeForce GTX 960 STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5 4GB 128-Bit €211,99

Antec EDG 750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply €128,99

This is still not really a "Beast" of a gaming system, and is also assuming that you are reusing your current case, but it is not that far off either, another video card and an I7 would certainly help, but those can be added later.

I told you that you wouldn't like those prices. All motherboards have some issues on release, and this is a relatively new board, so there are bound to be a few. I read the review that I believe you are referring to, and it looks like it is mainly driver issues that review was having. That will vary depending on the hardware vendor, if you notice though, in every one of the reviews that had problems, there was an Asus support tech responding to help find out what the problem was. If you take a look at the 4 and 5 star reviews, there are a lot of people that are happy with the board and didn't have the issues mentioned by the others. Some of that has to do with user experience and understanding exactly what is going on. Some people just don't bother to take the time to learn how computers work.

Here is a good Youtube review of the board, btw, there is also a 12 page followup review here with a lot more detail : OC3D :: Review :: ASUS Z170 Deluxe Skylake Motherboard Review :: Introduction and Technical Specifications

Btw, I chose the Antec power supply because it has dual 12 volt rails. Basically what that means is your graphics card won't be stealing voltage from your motherboard, and both rails will always have full power.

Just a suggestion, but maybe you might want to consider going with an older processor (such as a Core i5 4000 or 5000 series) to reduce the cost of the motherboard and RAM?
Then, you could use the remainder of the budget on a better graphics card, such as a GeForce GTX 970 or 980. That should give you much better performance than a 960 in modern games.

Although the Skylake processors are great, personally I'm not sure they're worth the high cost with the new motherboards and RAM. It's up to you, though. :shrug

Trudat. This is AMDs selling point. Spend less on the cpu, motherboard, and ram and go all out on the gpu and end up with an overall faster gaming machine. My OCed $180 cpu performs on par with a $420 intel. I am not trying to sell AMD because they are going EOL soon, but that should be the guiding principle.

What's EOL?
And what AMD processor would be the best for me?

End of Life.

Which AMD CPU would be best for you? That is hard question to answer in your case and I'm not sure AMD is best for you. As for their current offerings the FM2+ models are great budget performers that do well in single thread apps like POTC. But the are only quad cores and could get saturated in heavy multithread use. In your budget one of these could be put together for maybe $400 leaving you with the money for a $600 video card.

The FX line is average at single thread apps but works best under a heavy load that will saturate most other CPUs. They are also tuff as nails and overclock easily. At 5 ghz + they can match most anything.

But, no AMD CPU runs all that well at stock settings and pretty much requires an overclock to perform well. That is something that you need to consider for yourself.

Then there is the fact that AMD will be coming out with a new line beginning next March with their best stuff coming out in November or so that is not compatible with their current offerings. That means that if you buy AMD now when you want to upgrade you will need to buy all new components. There is no upgrade path.

What apps will you be working with mostly?

I will mostly be using: blender, Minecraft, Besiege and a few other games. And my browser and file explorer of course.

Any CPU can handle those, but what about the future? How long will you be using this before you upgrade again? That is the only reason I'm not pushing AMD on you.

That said, are you willing to learn overclocking? That is where the real performance is.

For right now today this is a good starting point.

AMD 860k cpu. This is a sleeper that delivers good mid range performance. $75 USD AMD Athlon X4 860K Kaveri Quad-Core 3.7 GHz Socket FM2+ 95W AD860KXBJABOX Desktop Processor (BLACK EDITION) - Newegg.com

ASUS A88X-PRO motherboard. This is a solid board that has a great bios that is easy to work with. With one click of the mouse it should OC that 860k to 4.2-4.3 ghz. It don't get no easier than that. $120 USD
A88X-PRO Asus Socket FM2+/ AMD A88X/ DDR3/ 3-Way CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard - Motherboards - AMD - SuperBiiz.com

This ram is only for illustration as I'm not certain it will work, but it should. I have used similar kits in that board successfully. $100 USD G.SKILL TridentX Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX - Newegg.com

Nobody uses the stock AMD cooler so an aftermarket one is recommended. This is a nice one. $30 USD be quiet! PURE ROCK CPU Cooler - 150W TDP - Newegg.com

Then for the video card. You can make your own choice but this is a good deal. $570 USD ASUS Radeon R9 Fury STRIX-R9FURY-DC3-4G-GAMING 4GB 4096-Bit HBM PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.com

These are all USA prices and the situation in the Netherlands is different.

I think I will use this rig for the coming 5 to 10 years.
And I would like to learn how to overclock.

And school is beginning again tomorrow.

5 years? That is a long long time for computers and is the longest I have ever run one. In that case the latest generation is what you want and that means intel.

Ack! My keyboard just died and now I'm on and old spare.

Back