• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Period Relations and Towns

hmm.. that's indeed very difficult...
The only good solution I have now is what I remember from Port Royale: If you started your game in the spanish main (I think 1570?) ca. 85% of all towns were spanish. So.. if we run out of any other solutions we could still make (more) towns spanish in the early periods :shrug

True. Though a lot of them already are.

What I DID do is set the ISLAND nationality to Spain for those. But you only really get to see that when right-clicking on the islands in the Map Interface.

I have just finished the code to DISABLE certain islands depending on the time period.
They don't show up in the Colonies interface either and you can't Sail To anywhere or go ashore or anything and no forts either:
- Saint Martin
- Guadeloupe
- Aruba
- Curacao

This does make the Caribbean VERY Spain-centric. There are only a few non-Spanish towns:
- Saint Pierre and La Tortue, France
- Camahogne and Los Barbados, Portugal
- Antigua, England

So this is what the NEW Early Explorers map looks like:
EarlyExplorers.jpg

This means that Holland has NO town in Early Explorers. Similarly, Portugal doesn't have anything in Revolutions and Napoleonic.
Is that a problem? There are still ships of those nations at sea. But without a governor, you won't be able to gain ranks with them.

So are there any other changes we'd want to make to this? And are there any islands that should still be disabled in the Spanish Main?

I just noticed that the Colonies Interface is thrown out of whack when there are less islands active than it expects.
So I rewrote things to use a different island sort order in Early Explorers. Seems to work properly now.
But that does mean.... let's try to keep this to Early Explorers only, shall we....? :wp

I just figured... in Early Explorers the ONLY English port is the navy base of Antigua. And that does NOT work like a normal town.
So that means you can't get a LoM from them either. Should we perhaps, in Early Explorers only, place an English and Dutch governor in the Antigua townhall?
As diplomats or something? Just so you CAN gain ranks?

Should we perhaps, in Early Explorers only, place an English and Dutch governor in the Antigua townhall?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I just figured... in Early Explorers the ONLY English port is the navy base of Antigua. And that does NOT work like a normal town.
So that means you can't get a LoM from them either. Should we perhaps, in Early Explorers only, place an English and Dutch governor in the Antigua townhall?

Would be a good idea to pair the Dutch with the English. It would also feel right in that timeframe.

Should we then do the same for Portugal in Napoleonic? Who should they be teamed up with?

And thanks for confirming my idea as being not entirely historically inaccurate. :cheeky

Should we then do the same for Portugal in Napoleonic? Who should they be teamed up with?

And thanks for confirming my idea as being not entirely historically inaccurate. :cheeky

In the Napoleonic Period - Portugal should be paired up with England/Britain. Since they were allies against Napoleon.

I am not sure if it was the Portuguese or the Spanish government that left Europe and worked from Exile in their American colonies - but I think one of them did.:read

:drunk

The modified "Early Explorers" period is in WIP 17 now: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-progress.20686/
Let me know if you find any trace of the disabled islands' towns during gameplay. There shouldn't be any, but weirder things have been known to happen.

Still To-Do on this:
- Automatically use different Town Nationality texture folder if available (right now this is hard-coded to work for Jamaica in Devlin Opera only)
- Diplomats for England+Holland in Antigua

- Automatically use different Town Nationality texture folder if available (right now this is hard-coded to work for Jamaica in Devlin Opera only)
I have just made the required code changes to change the look of the following towns also:
- Villa de la Vega (Jamaica) still looks Spanish, but now in ALL storylines set in Early Explorers (just in case there will be more some day)
- Palo Brasil (Bonaire) now looks Spanish
- Cumana (Cayman) now looks Spanish
- Saint Domingue (Hispaniola) no longer looks Spanish when it has been taken over by France
- Half of Saint George (Grenada) no longer looks Spanish; I couldn't fix this to be 100% because I got bricks on the statue when I did this

See here for some screenshots:
Town_Conceicao_Port_England.jpg Town_Conceicao_Town_England.jpg Town_FalaiseDeFleur_Port2_Spain.jpg Town_Greenford_Port_France.jpg Town_Douwesen_Port_Spain.jpg
Not perfect, but better than having those towns looks distinctly different from their actual nationality.

- Diplomats for England+Holland in Antigua
Done. In Early Explorers, there are now two emissaries at the townhall study in Antigua.

Also in Revolutions and Napoleonic there is a Portuguese emissary in the Saint George townhall.
So players who think that Grenada is Portuguese will still find the appropriate governor-type character there:
Emissary.jpg

The emissaries provide all functionality from the regular governors, EXCEPT for pirate hunting quests.
I don't think they should have authority over that because, well.... they're NOT the boss, are they? Just diplomats.

Now that all the Early Explorers changes are in the WIP 17 Fix files, I wouldn't mind some comments on how it works and looks.
Anything that still needs changing for it to be "right"?

Latest changes to Periods are included in WIP 18: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-progress.20686/
Comments appreciated, especially on how Early Explorers works, including the emissaries.

Also, have a look at the textures use in the various towns. The following should now match up if their nationality differs per period:
Jamaica in Early Explorers
Bonaire in Early Explorers
Cayman in Early Explorers
Santo Domingo in Revolutions and Napoleonic
Grenada in Revolutions and Napoleonic

At Jamaica in Early Explorers Rys Bloom appears with a Spanish name, but I can not hire him because the Harbor Master only has Devlin Opera dialog.

Back