• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Period Relations and Towns

I do think the realism is a nice touch, personally, though Portugal should still have some colonial influence in the last two eras. Why not give them control of the smuggler's den or the Buccaneer Fort (or even the Nevis pirate base) in the last two eras so at least they would have something (we wouldn't want to disrupt the natural order of things now would we?)
For the Assassin Main Quest, I'll add the isla Mona village model on the Cuba South Coast. Why not use this location for the Portuguese in the last periods?

What a coincidence, I've always thought that the Mona pirate village would be a nice touch on Cuba. Why not add a connection that could lead to the Pantano River and a place we could use on Tia Dalma's shack? Canonically, I think it is supposed to be on Cuba after all (at least that is what the wiki says)

Alright Peter and Pieter :cheeky ,

Next week, I'll upload some screenshots showing exactly the location on the South Coast of Cuba I'd like to put the village.

Btw : By the way, about the Pantano River, there is no Jungle location with a real river in POTC :rolleyes: . This kind of location could be interesting for a quest-writer. :yes

Alright Peter and Pieter :cheeky ,

Next week, I'll upload some screenshots showing exactly the location on the South Coast of Cuba I'd like to put the village.

Btw : By the way, about the Pantano River, there is no Jungle location with a real river in POTC :rolleyes: . This kind of location could be interesting for a quest-writer. :yes

No, but as I recall, there is a rather linear jungle path with the large rock in the middle in POTC. Since the Pantano river was more of a swamp anyway, we just flood the whole thing and add some dense jungly trees. On the other end of that flooded path, we connect it to the jungle house location, add more trees, and flood it as well. The jungle house can be Tia's shack.

That should work. Then add a whole bunch of candle locators for added spookiness at nighttime as per the end of DMC.

since the river seemed vast, should there be a standard jungle area flooded and connected to a flooded jungle house location, or should it just be the jungle house location (as there would really be no need for the linear jungle path, only to point out that the river is so vast)

Whatever works; we'd have to check how those models look when flooded.

Because we wouldn't want Tia Dalma's shack half way under now will we? It would look more like a hurricane hit or global warming took effect all at once!

LOL! I'd suggest: give it a try and see what gives. Find "Pirate_Outer_Location" in PROGRAM\Locations\init and add the following lines:
Code:
	//Environment
Locations[n].environment.weather = "true";
Locations[n].environment.sea = "true";
Locations[n].environment.swamp = "true"; // PB: Swamps
Locations[n].MaxSeaHeight = 0.2; // screwface
Replacing the original Environment lines. Start a new game and visit the location to see what it looks like as a swamp.

Now HERE's something interesting.... Pirate_KK rewrote the Periods code and one of the things he added is the ability to DISABLE towns/islands completely.
The idea is to use this in the Early Explorers time frame as the Caribbean had not been fully colonized at that time yet.
For now, he set this up for Guadeloupe and Saint Martin.

It isn't working entirely right yet, though. It seems the game is having troubles with figuring out the island name of a disabled island.
Also, the town still shows as it is part of the island model and you can still go ashore there and visit the town.

So, what do people think of this? How should it work? Would it be OK if you just cannot go ashore on these islands at all?
Or do we want to keep the towns altogether? And are there any other islands this should technically apply to?
And if so, will that mess up any story-related affairs?

Now HERE's something interesting.... Pirate_KK rewrote the Periods code and one of the things he added is the ability to DISABLE towns/islands completely.
The idea is to use this in the Early Explorers time frame as the Caribbean had not been fully colonized at that time yet.
For now, he set this up for Guadeloupe and Saint Martin.

That´s interesting...:)
Great idea...

well only disabling the towns would be nice but I doubt we can make that.. and if we could make that, I am pretty sure that the game gets really unstable.. so just "lock" the islands sounds good enough ;)

The problem with disabling ONLY the towns is that you could still walk there from the other side of the island.
So we'd have to swap out the whole town with some appropriate shore locations. Not impossible by any means, but would require quite some doing and figuring out.
Just making the entire island inaccessible is much easier.

That's why I want to know what people consider more important:
Period-Correctness (eg.: can't access the island at all) or at least SOME town being there, even if in reality it wasn't there yet.

Locking out those islands would also mean locking out any quests on those islands. Is it just Goadaloupe and St Martin, or would others be involved?

That's indeed my main concern. But even if we'd keep the islands accessible, but without towns, the quests would be just as messed up.

For now, Pirate_KK's code only proposes to do it for St. Martin and Guadeloupe, but I think various other islands should technically have it too.
As far as I understand, the Dutch weren't present in the Caribbean at all yet in the Early Explorers period.
And I think Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire (Isla do Palo Brasil) were uninhabited at the time. Except perhaps for some Indian tribes.

hm.. well maybe we can make indian towns out of it in the periods where the 'real' towns doesn't fit.. Is a texture-change for the cities possible? Or maybe even a whole location-change?

Texture change is easy, but I don't think that would look convincing. Location-change.... not so much.
Not impossible, though. Just requires a lot of figuring out and probably quite a lot of work too. So I'd prefer to avoid that, even if it would be an ideal solution.

In the meantime, I've been going over the WIP 13 Periods code and updated it all with the latest information.
Made some additional fixes too, for example changing Hispaniola to become a French island altogether in the latest time periods.
All towns were already French, just not the actual island nationality. :facepalm

And I also restored the "friendly with pirates" code to what it should be.

well if we really would have convincing good textures it would be also nice (enough). Idk, but are the buildings location-related or can we change this with textures or other files that may be easier to exchange, too?
Maybe another idea: Change all islands which weren't settled in the specific period to pirate-islands. Maybe the pirates used at least some of them as hiding-spots back then?^^

Problem is... the Guadeloupe town model for example looks like a PROPER BIG TOWN.
Bit weird for a supposedly uninhabited island?

Back