• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Period Weapons

That does look very good! Do you also have information in there on in which periods certain weapons disappear again?

I'm not sure when we'll be able to set up the coding for this.
Since certain quest events will be using period-incorrect weaponry with this,
we'd need to find all those instances and fix them to use period-correct ones instead.

I'll check your list, SIM :onya
As Pieter said, in my case, I need to check my main quests and make the changes if necessary...

I was thinking about the items, it could be fun to use the spyglass inland from the shore to recognize the ships.

No idea how to make that work. :wacko:

I might not be able to add the new weapons in Beta 1. Running out of time... :?

maybe a bump but i really miss scimitars :eek:
Functional_Swords_Sinbad_Scimitar_Swor_2006_92.jpg

The spyglass view from the land would be fun for the Battle of Aguadilla. :)
Let's hope someone can find a solution..

I noted in the Sim's work there wasn't the final blades' availability. So, I added this information. For instance, Tizona is only available in the Early Explorers while Dragon's Head is available until the Colonial Powers. Post your comments about my work, please...

Btw :
Another thing... For the last periods (Revolutions and The Corsican), there should have less Pirate settlements and also less Pirate ships' encounters and their ships should be smaller. Indeed, in that time, the piracy was in decline.

Yes for Smuggler lairs.. But what 's the difference at the moment in the Buildmod between a pirate settlement and a Smuggler lair ? :?

Btw : Any comment, Thomas, about my file ?

Smallsword should also be available in Spanish Main, but somewhat rarer, just like the walloon sword.
I don't get the use of colours... What do they mean?

Sabers should come available in golden age of piracy I think. Before that soldiers used rapiers and in the most early period katzbalger.

The difference between a pirate settlement and a smuggers' liar? Just the name as far as I'm aware.
I don't really know how to decrease the amount of pirate encounters at sea.
Probably should be possible somehow though.

For the weapons, could you possibly use the item ID where available? That's easier for coding purposes.
Also please add some notes on which type of characters would use which types of blades.

We REALLY need to get that "unique" code working. Or making sure that weapons with rand at 0.0 DON'T show up. EVER!
That'd be much preferrable over simply not initializing the period-incorrect weapons through if-statements/switches.
Reason being, if a blade is not initialized but IS used by a quest character, that'll cause trouble.
Especially once Pirate_KK is done with the Customize Character interface and you can change storyline starting date if you want.

For the weapons, could you possibly use the item ID where available? That's easier for coding purposes.
Also please add some notes on which type of characters would use which types of blades.
To Thomas : Thanks for giving your opinion :doff But I still need more opinions from the forum. So, please modders and gamers tell me what you think... The colours are to distinguish the blades appearing in more than 1 period.

To Pieter : I can do that of course but before I would like more opinions as I said for Thomas. Which characters you said ? Do you mean that some blades will be only available for a specific nation ?

The difference between a pirate settlement and a smuggers' liar? Just the name as far as I'm aware.
That's the problem. We need to find something to distinguish them. Maybe only in the Smuggler lair there would have a shop allowing to make trade missions with another smuggler lairs. :)
I don't really know how to decrease the amount of pirate encounters at sea.
Probably should be possible somehow though.
We need a motivated modder for that :cheeky

I meant if the way we do the Period-dependency is by not initializing a saber, for example,
unless you're in Golden Age of Piracy or later, then everyone in Devlin/Bartolomeu/Assassin weilding a saber
(set in character init files) will cause a bug. We don't want that.

Do we need a distinguishing between pirate and smuggler settlement?
To me, it's just a bit of variety in the naming of the same thing.
Just as Buccaneer Camp.

I noted in the Sim's work there wasn't the final blades' availability. So, I added this information. For instance, Tizona is only available in the Early Explorers while Dragon's Head is available until the Colonial Powers. Post your comments about my work, please...

Nice work Bartolomeu, I like your file. :yes Sorry I didn't get back to you guys with anymore info about the weapons, but other history projects were nearing completion and I needed all my spare time :facepalm Anyway, it looks like Bartolomeu has done a good job to get the ball rolling :onya

To be honest, I deliberately didn't give a end period for the weapons as it is completly subjective. Anybody who looks after their blade could still have it 3 or 4 periods down the line, while weapons with high usage could be lost or broken in a very short time indeed.

Personaly, I would like to see weapons last probably 2 periods and then disapear, as newer, lighter and better ballanced swords became available and made the older weapons obsolete, but as far as I'm concerned, the appearance date of a weapon is far more inportant.

Thomas, I totally get your comment about Sabres becoming available in The Golden Age of Piracy. It is true that, although not widely, Sabres were starting to be used during the later part of the period. But as I was trying to explain in my earlier post, I was trying to define each period by a certain type of weapon i.e. the Cutlass was the main weapon or choice for Pirates during The actual Golden Age of Piracy, so it would seem a bit strange to have Sabres in there as well as they are a far better sword and so pirates would probably have chosen them over Cutlasses. Having said this, it should be a group decision, if it is felt that , for gameplay reasons, weapons should be arranged differently, then I'm completly happy. After all, at the end of the day, it's the game that matters :dance

Realistically, if you take care of your old blade, it could carry well into the last period.
But if we base the availability on that, then in the early period, you've got a simple selection,
while in the last period you've just got weapon overkill.
I think that each period should have about an equal number of available weapons.

Also, I definitly like the idea of defining each period by a certain weapon type.
That serves my original intent with this mod quite nicely,
because I'd like the difference between weapons to be more than just graphical:
It should also make for different gameplay in each period, wherever possible.
So this sounds like a perfect way to accomplish that. :yes

Sim or Bartolomeu or anyone, could you take Sim's file and list per period what weapons are available?
Not just when weapons appear, but also when they disappear again.
One weapon that lasts for two periods sounds about right to me.

I do think that the various nations' promotion blades can stay available in all periods.
These are intended to not be randomly encountered anyway; you must get those through promotion from a governor.
At the moment this doesn't work, but when we do the coding for this mod, we'll need to get that fixed too.

Also categorization of weapons per character type would help.
Eg. soldiers use these weapons, while jungle bandits use others.

Back