• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Pirates Odyssey: To Each His Own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Akella made any press releases regarding the subject matter or is this more or less word of mouth kind of stuff? second question being does anyone know the state of the game as it is in Russian because like mentioned previously and from my own experience the following games were very much a mess. My old old computer was able to run the game (city of ab ships) pretty good but sense upgrading a number of times it just isn't even worth downloading even with gents of fortune. With other news the guys that made mount and blade with fire and sword, snowbird studios, are working on something similar which should be pretty cool too. My thoughts on pirates ody being if there is truely this english verison and it does get release that if they release this half ass PoS that crashes a min of every 4 hrs im gonna be very pissed off and i rarely if ever get mad.

Daman,

Personally, if Akella made this game so it does not crash EVERY FIVE MINUTES, this w0uld be even better.
Four hours is being very conservative, and was not the baseline on CoAS.
I am not bashing a game that has not even been released in English, just making points if developers are listening, which they do here, because of general interest.

You may want to check out GOF Eras, because the improvements are significant over GOF 2.0.
Crashing has been greatly reduced, and its like playing a brand new game.
Everyone will appreciate the high definition graphics items, characters, and inventory stuff when I get everything completed.
However, be aware there are old quest bugs lurking in the code.

Last edited:
@daman515

You should better be prepared to get mad because this is absolutely mouth to mouth propaganda and Storm Engine based games (Vanilla Versions) always crash or freeze from time to time (depending on the OS and Hardware usage) so you have to save them every minute ;)

Last edited:
Has Akella made any press releases regarding the subject matter or is this more or less word of mouth kind of stuff?
Akella has not made any press release regarding English version of POTEHO yet.
does anyone know the state of the game as it is in Russian?
Some players tell that POTEHO is more stable than CoAS.
To prevent frequent crashes of game you should follow the simple rules:
1. Make new save only to the free slot. Do not make new save over the old one.
2. Avoid frequent usage of quick save, because quick save function use one and the same slot.

I don't see this happening unfortunately, I might wait a little further into the year but it doesn't look hopeful.

All,

I have an idea, maybe if I offer one of my quality bottles of Russian vodka to the lead developer perhaps it might speed this up and make it a reality?
Of course, it might have the complete opposite effect, and I certainly would not want him giving it to the play testers or translators.....

Last edited:
I ment maybe in Spring (March as latest). :wp

As we all already know this kind of news have to be treated with caution. ;)

Last edited:
All,

If there never comes to pass, I might be able to solve this whole dilemma for the entire Pirates Ahoy! community.
My wife who is from Central America and I actually know Russian (she works as a translator mostly in Spanish, English, and French).
I could probably get the language files from the developers and have her help me finish the job.
Not all the source files are included in the current release of the Russian version of the game.
It would take some time however, because we would not be talking about just quest and common files, but also some of the code.

This would be a last ditch effort down the road, sort of what was done with a couple of other games from the Ukraine and Russian old states that were never properly released in English.

I will tell you that the game as it currently released with the "DLC" is worth the time to play IF you enjoyed City of Abandoned Ships.
Not quite as buggy so far, but the Russian dialogs are actually pretty funny to read and listen to in game.
Overall, its just a CoAS upgrade with new storylines, some new features building on the original CoAS (weapons and combat) but it has some uniquely interesting quests that throws light on some of the backstory BEFORE CoAS as this does take place over a decade in the past.
The whole ship model improvement and landscape details in my opinion is marginal in comparison to the work that has been done here in this forum.
I will not spoil any surprises but the City of Abandoned Ships is back but this time as something a bit different...
I would NOT recommend searching out on Corsairs.ru or Blackwater for more details if you want to keep the game surprises all intact.
I really enjoy the new character models as they are surprisingly detailed, although not all "period", and some were copycatted from other sources (guess where?)....

Никогда не теряйте надежды!
(Never lose hope)

Last edited:
You would know if was released, because it would be on this forum!

Its ok. I was confused a little bit, because the developers had promised to realese it in March. If someone has this game in russian and want to play I can help with translation the basic terms, main story, quests and something else.

If I recall, the Russian release has a locked PROGRAM and RESOURCE\INI folder, so it cannot be translated.
However, I've never seen the game's actual files, so I could be wrong.

If I recall, the Russian release has a locked PROGRAM and RESOURCE\INI folder, so it cannot be translated.

That is CORRECT!
As stated, I would have to get the game files from the developers on an SDK source release.
Dependent on Akella's thoughts were on the copyrighted material it is a matter of judgement.
If the English version is a buggy mess, and we cannot fix it, the game will not have a very good following.

Last edited:

I know that PROGRAM and RESOURCE\INI folder is locked. Probably, I wrote incorrectly :) I could help people who are trying to play, but doesn't understand a quests, diaglogs etc.

Actually I managed to change few of my lines ;) But original Russian language files are here. It was not hard to locate them.

All dialog files in Russian version of POTEHO are locked.
Nobody of developers would not give these files to outsiders.
All that remains - is to wait patiently for release of English version of POTEHO.

Attachments

• texts.zip
    122.6 KB · Views: 165
Actually I managed to change few of my lines ;) But original Russian language files are here. It was not hard to locate them.

The files we would REALLY need are the quest logbook, dialogue files, and several important others.
Some are located in the resource/ini, others in program files which is not fully accessible right now.
The common and basic game interfaces files are good start, but the real "meat" are the dialogues, dialogue voice ques, and the actually voice acting, which in a pinch could be replaced with CoAS stuff.

This is NOT a project I would want to do immediately.
I believe that the game will eventually be released, but I am not waiting around.
I will just be surprised when it happens.

Oh I see the problem. It's a pitty though. The whole Akella saga about pirates is the best thing I ever discovered. I havent encountered anything equal or better to those. Minus-side is this never-ending crashing I had in my old computer (But my new-one runs both Caribbean Tales and City of Abandoned Ships perfectly)
Pirates Odyssey however was a nice discovery. I really like new graphics but in the same time this sense of same old good Age Of Pirates feeling. My Girlfriend who knows a little russian helps me through dialogues but I started translating gamemenus on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back