• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

POTC Sea Colour

To be fair, I reckon the jerky movements might not be so dissimilar to some real-life situations on small vessels.
However, I do realise that it makes little sense when the sea is almost flat, but I'm yet to encounter that myself with the current settings.
We might be able to add a condition relating the harmonics to the windspeed, so that very low windspeeds use smoother harmonics.
Further investigations will be needed in this case.

Anyway, back to the improved sunset. I've just managed to change a couple more sky textures around, to make the whole transition from dusk to night more smooth. I've mainly considered the fact that the sun goes down at around 20:00, so the sky should not be too bright straight afterwards.
The inclusion of the red sky seems to make the whole transition even more beautiful, as well. :)
Here's the file for anyone interested (goes in PROGRAM -> Weather -> Init; press F11 in-game):
View attachment WhrSetAzmAng.c

Red sunset? Pretty! Good to see that back. :D

Flying back home today, so will be back in action soon. Be sure to prepare a to-do list of things you need my help with!

It will be good to see you back again, mate! :cheers

With the sunset, I had run into an old screenshot from the stock game which showed the red sky, and suddenly I realised I hadn't ever seen it in Build 14.
I had to bring it back, especially because it looks more realistic for the time of day (and it's much prettier!) :D

Here's a few things from memory that I was going to ask you about:
  • Activating the improved wave harmonics by default, instead of waiting for a storm
  • Possibly changing the harmonics below a certain wind speed, to make movement less jerky in calm waters
  • Adjusting the weather transition after a storm to make it smoother/more natural
On another note, let me know when you want the list I've compiled of files for the next patch.

1. Should look for the code where wave harmonics are first initialized. With a bit of luck, we'll be able to.

2. Checking wind speed shouldn't be too difficult. Try:
Code:
if(sti(Whr_GetWindSpeed()) < 10)
To make your new harmonics only execute below 10 kts.

3. That sounds complicated. I don't really know anything about the weather system at the moment. :modding

3. I think it sounds worse than I meant it to. Really the main thing that needs to be adjusted is the fog density and colour after a storm; the sea colour, waves, wind etc seem to be fine.

I haven't had much time to try things out recently, to be honest. Exams are fast approaching so I'm prioritising revision work.
As far as I know, the fog sometimes lifts more than others, which is a bit random. The main issue is the daytime fog colour change...

I am building up a new install and have most of the latest additions in it. Last night I installed the sea colour changes and ........the jerkiness that was so hateful in the last install appears to be gone! :aar It looks like good ole POTC with better waves and colour! :cheers (Insert dancing monkey here.)

I am building up a new install and have most of the latest additions in it. Last night I installed the sea colour changes and ........the jerkiness that was so hateful in the last install appears to be gone! :aar It looks like good ole POTC with better waves and colour! :cheers (Insert dancing monkey here.)
Hmm... I guess the wave model didn't update properly in your old install. Anyway, good to hear you like the current set-up! :onya
I liked that dancing monkey too. I think Thagarr found it somewhere, but it hasn't been re-installed yet...

EDIT: Ah! That's better: :monkeydance Two monkeys for the price of one!
I added a few more that Thag found which I thought we needed back. :cheeky

Well there's a 'woot on steroids' in this post, but personally I'm not too keen on it rapidly moving around like that. o_O
I guess it could be edited to show just one frame, though.

I thought I had Armada's latest code in my game. Perhaps not. Armada, what's your latest?

Er, the file attached to this post, I believe. It uses the harmonics I outlined several posts ago, and produces fairly smooth waves in my game.

Attachments

• WhrGeneration.c
    9.6 KB · Views: 113
Ahh. The one you use Pieter is the original with nothing edited out. The one Armada just posted should work much better. :cheers

Indeed it seems I had an older version. Good thing we caught that now! :woot

Back