• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Realistic Cannon Fix mod

:facepalm OOooohhh , it's that ship.

Yes it is included i didn't now that was its name.

BTW i found a small copy/paste error in your shiputility file:

if (iTest_ship == 3) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_FLEUT), "ship11");
if (iTest_ship == 4) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_BRIGANTINE), "ship11");
if (iTest_ship == 5) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_BATTLEXEBEC), "ship11");
if (iTest_ship == 6) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_XebecAS), "ship11");
if (iTest_ship == 7) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_SLOOPOFWAR), "ship12"); <======= :hmm

It must be "ship11" instead of "ship 12" i think ;)
But take care, another one is in the category under and is "ship12" but that one isn't an error.

:facepalm OOooohhh , it's that ship.

Yes it is included i didn't now that was its name.

BTW i found a small copy/paste error in your shiputility file:

if (iTest_ship == 3) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_FLEUT), "ship11");
if (iTest_ship == 4) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_BRIGANTINE), "ship11");
if (iTest_ship == 5) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_BATTLEXEBEC), "ship11");
if (iTest_ship == 6) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_XebecAS), "ship11");
if (iTest_ship == 7) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_SLOOPOFWAR), "ship12"); <======= :hmm

It must be "ship11" instead of "ship 12" i think ;)

Ah yes thats the one i think was closing the game down when it tried to load a battle with a pirate ship, i fixed that and haven't had that problem ever since. :onya

Hey luke i found another little inconsistency here :hmm :

In your merchantonmap.c file:

case HOLLAND:
switch (irank)
{
case 6: iShip = SHIP_Intrepide; break;
case 8: iShip = SHIP_La_Licorne; break;

Those ships are not Dutch but French. I guess they should be in the category "case FRANCE:" :onya

Hey luke i found another little inconsistency here :hmm :

In your merchantonmap.c file:

case HOLLAND:
switch (irank)
{
case 6: iShip = SHIP_Intrepide; break;
case 8: iShip = SHIP_La_Licorne; break;

Those ships are not Dutch but French. I guess they should be in the category "case FRANCE:" :onya

Yes i was doing some testing there and forgot to edit them, i will remove them from the Dutch line now since my testing is over. Thanks for pointing that out to me. :onya

Nixarass... really neat job you are doing... i was eager to try those 92 punders...
Besides, thanks to those graphs you've made i now understand something that happened some time ago...
My fleet was composed of three ships, 1 Frigate (FLAGSHIP), fully tuned @ bermuda and 2 MOW with speed/manouverability improvements...
I camed across a situation without scape, locked in a cape i had to battle (by myself, the two mows where at the back spinning around and too busy hitting and cutting each others sail lines)back to the point, i had to battle one schooner, one corvette on SOTL and one MOW... alone, in my 32 24 punder frigate... the outcome... i won xD:... i'l post the screenshot i took when the battle ended...

MK... you are my encyclopedia-head-hero.... :cheers

Picture of a REAL 32 pounder from the REAL Santisima Trinidad... the 92 must be unreal... mitologycal !

PIC_0031.jpg

There are two of this little fellas in the main door at the >"Panteon de marinos Ilustres"< in Spain

Nixarass... really neat job you are doing... i was eager to try those 92 punders...
Besides, thanks to those graphs you've made i now understand something that happened some time ago...
My fleet was composed of three ships, 1 Frigate (FLAGSHIP), fully tuned @ bermuda and 2 MOW with speed/manouverability improvements...
I camed across a situation without scape, locked in a cape i had to battle (by myself, the two mows where at the back spinning around and too busy hitting and cutting each others sail lines)back to the point, i had to battle one schooner, one corvette on SOTL and one MOW... alone, in my 32 24 punder frigate... the outcome... i won xD:... i'l post the screenshot i took when the battle ended...

MK... you are my encyclopedia-head-hero.... :cheers

Hehe, maybe that's also because you are good :doff

Talking about the 92lbs, as i stated before, i think from looking in the linecodes that actually the 92lbs wasn't supposed to be a cannon but somekind of mortar (short cannon, large bore/caliber ) used for deadly short range like this one:

mortar.jpg

As you can see it is big caliber but not monstruous. Because i wonder if a 92lbs CANNON would be possible to be used anywere lol, even less on a ship :keith .

canonschm.jpg

canonschm2.jpg

That's from OfficerPuppy link.
As you can see a bigger caliber does not necessarly mean a bigger cannon. :mm

ahhh... i was letting my mind drift with the idea of a massive cannon lying in the main deck, pointing of the bow so it wount flip the ship... but, history seems to have a slap for me whenever i go astray...
OP: intresting reading !
NX: ain't that a carronade ??... and as promesed, here is the screenie

Ladron-1.jpg

A little different than i remember... but still...

ahhh... i was letting my mind drift with the idea of a massive cannon lying in the main deck, pointing of the bow so it wount flip the ship... but, history seems to have a slap for me whenever i go astray...
OP: intresting reading !
NX: ain't that a carronade ??... and as promesed, here is the screenie

Ladron-1.jpg

A little different than i remember... but still...

Lol, that looks so interesting and weird. How did that happen?

Well, it happened one by one... xD:
Actually all happened pretty fast, as you can see, none of the ships sunk completely when the battle was over (i have a modded sink effect that takes a little longer) they started surrounding me until all i could do was try to fire the cannons before they boarded me...
That frigate is worth it's weight in gold... i do miss the crew doh... :?

Interesting battle SuperChango. :keith Interesting color on your Frigate too....haven't seen that before.

Nixarass, exactly right mate! Caliber being a value derived from length of barrel times bore, the short length could mean a smaller caliber even though the size of the ball would be far greater. I believe the mortar you show in the illustration is actually bigger than a 92 pounder. :will BTW because of the overbore issues I was speaking about in an earlier post the bottom of the mortar barrel actually has a semi enclosed chamber that the ball rests against. That chamber can hold in some cases (92 pounder) 140 pounds of powder per each firing! :boom Too bad we can't make powder consumption higher with bigger guns in the code.

Officerpuppy, conventional ships didn't generally carry mortars, that's why I mentioned trying to import the Bombketches from ETW. The bomb ketch was a specialized ship that had no foremast. In its place was a big honkin mortar. They were designed for shore bombardments. BTW, anyone have any luck looking at the ETW ships code??? :will

MK

Hello MK.

If mortars weren't usually used in ships, carronades were. In my view carronades role was kinda deadly buckshots from short range, in which they historically succeeded so i think this is something to be thought off if we are gonna do the "perfect" guns mod.

About ETW, i guess your question was directed to me. I'm sorry mate but i have so much things planed on this and other games that i won't be looking on the ETW material before a time. :shrug

However, if you are interested in looking from yourself, you can go on www.Twcenter.net site and see modding/extracting tutorials and such.

I remember reading something about those... but was in a later period... right ?

@Nx: i've been kinda busy, i'll try to get you the psd tomorrow

@MK: that's a personal mod i've made some time ago... it's on my ftp folder... not based on anything... i just like it...

Actually I've made several mods for ETW :woot

But I'm retired now ;) Besides, modeling and importing/exporing models is way beyond my realm of understanding.

Mates, This is a good discussion I'd like to continue. I don't know what it's like for you, but the more we talk about and learn about this stuff, the more I'm inspired to delve into the code and try to learn about how things are implemented and what might be able to be changed. I always keep a fresh test version loaded on a seperate machine that I end up corrupting so bad I have to reload everything, but it helps me learn. :nk

@ Officerpuppy, Is there no way we can tempt you to look at that ETW ships code???? Not even for a.......

scooby-snack? :woot Cheap shot, I actually love your handle :onya ....I own ten dogs (beagles) BTW :will

@ Superchango, Brother the fact that you like it that color is all that matters. I'm sure there were white ships. I've found examples in historical anecdotes of private merchants having their entire ships painted green. In one of my old books on Madagascar pirates I found references to Persian sultans ships being painted light ochres and even "pynck". I have no historical evidence to cite, but I'd bet that a captain operating in the tropics that lacked the proper components to paint his ship would even resort to whitewash rather than allowing the wood to be untreated. It just looks damn cool anyways. :2up

@ Nixarass, While mortars are a fairly old gun variant and you would indeed find them on forts as Superchango and Officerpuppy said, carronades were very late, arriving after the golden age of piracy was essentially over. They were an English invention that was quickly adopted by the French and the early American Navy. The first carronades appeared on the scene around 1770 and became popular during the American Revolution timeframe. :mm

Here's a quote from Wikepedia: "A carronade was much shorter and a third to a quarter of the weight of an equivalent long gun: a 32 pounder carronade, for example, weighed less than a ton, but a 32 pounder long gun weighed over 3 tons. Carronades were manufactured in the usual naval gun calibres (12, 18, 24, 32 and 42 pounders, but 6 pdr and 68 pdr versions are known), but they were not counted in a ship of the line's rated number of guns. The classification of Royal Navy vessels in this period can therefore mislead, since they would often be carrying more pieces of ordnance than they were described as carrying." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carronade I'd like to point out that Wikipedia is incorrectly using the word calibres in this definition. Ratings or sizes would be correct. :modding

I'd like to have them in the game too, but wish they could be incorporated in a period mod like POTC has that wouldn't allow them into the game until 1770.

MK

I've just remembered that the skin is unfinished... the shadow area between the hull planks isn't fully done... i'ts just a detail but still... :shrug

I noticed you also got rid of the four windows on the sides you usually see on that model. I think it looks better the way you have it.

MK

Back