• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fix in Progress Repairing Bad Ropes

I am thinking of retexturing the Kreyser class frigate to look like the satanist frigate from the stock game, what do you guys think?

"PiratFrigateSup" is already a black and red version of the "Kreyser", so you'd need to make it distinctive from that.

The "Kreyser" types have the figurehead as a separate model - for example, "PiratFrigatSup_figurehead.gm" is the woman on the bow of the pirate ship. @Jack Rackham provided a set of figurehead models which I uploaded here:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/VCO figureheads.zip
They'll need to be resized with TOOL to fit different ships, and possibly given new texture files for use on a Satanist ship. Or you can just pick one of the "Kreyser" types and retexture whichever figurehead it already uses.

The "Kreyser" is valid for "Golden Age of Piracy" and "Colonial Powers", which are also the most suitable periods for "Frigate_sat". As the "Kreyser" is fairly common (British, French and Pirate specific versions, plus two generic types), it would be a shame to completely replace the unique quest ship "Frigate_sat" with one of these. But it might be possible to use a Satanic "Kreyser". The normal one is somewhat weaker than "Frigate_sat" - fewer guns, smaller crew, less HP. So, perhaps the Animists got hold of one which was due to be scrapped, modified it a bit, and now it has 18lb guns, more crew, more HP. Then use it for the "Strange Things Going On..." quest in the "Revolutions" period. "Frigate_sat" looks a bit out of date for this period but the "Essex" types aren't in use until "Napoleonic" - the real USS Essex was launched in 1799 and the Animists aren't getting one twenty years before the US Navy!

Last edited:
Meanwhile, here's evil "Essex":
sat_essex2.jpg sat_essex_bow.jpg sat_essex_stern.jpg
You'd need to get closer than that to the bow, or observe her with a top grade spyglass, to properly see the detail on the figurehead. The normal "Essex" types have a white carving of a very scantily clad lady. This one has her recoloured to red, she's scaly, and she has cat-like yellow eyes with slit pupils. But the red stern is easily visible.

Interface pictures of both evil "Essex" and the new US version, from the "FreePlay" ship selection:
sat_essex_select.jpg us_essex_select.jpg

This is a nice ship!! :woot

The "Kreyser" is valid for "Golden Age of Piracy" and "Colonial Powers", which are also the most suitable periods for "Frigate_sat". As the "Kreyser" is fairly common (British, French and Pirate specific versions, plus two generic types), it would be a shame to completely replace the unique quest ship "Frigate_sat" with one of these. But it might be possible to use a Satanic "Kreyser". The normal one is somewhat weaker than "Frigate_sat" - fewer guns, smaller crew, less HP. So, perhaps the Animists got hold of one which was due to be scrapped, modified it a bit, and now it has 18lb guns, more crew, more HP. Then use it for the "Strange Things Going On..." quest in the "Revolutions" period. "Frigate_sat" looks a bit out of date for this period but the "Essex" types aren't in use until "Napoleonic" - the real USS Essex was launched in 1799 and the Animists aren't getting one twenty years before the US Navy!

As for this i plan to make it look as close as i can to the original but with the more detailed model of the Kreyser class frigate.

Last edited:
As for this i plan to make it look as close as i can to the original but with the more detailed model of the Kreyser class frigate.
Actually, that is a REALLY noble goal!
As I remember it, the Kreyser class frigates were @Armada's high quality replacements for the stock game frigates.
The Mefisto was exactly a stock game frigate BUT with some slight changes to the model, notably the figurehead.

Because Armada was busy, he never had the chance to update the Mefisto properly.
So if you can do some TOOL work on her to match the Kreyser with the old Mefisto, you could just finish what Armada started all those years ago! :bow

OK, who's going to be the second person to spot the mistake with the Satanist "Essex"? The first person is me, which is why I'll be posting updated pictures a bit later, but for now, this is your chance to show how much you remember about the ship in "Strange Things Going On in the Archipelago"...

OK, who's going to be the second person to spot the mistake with the Satanist "Essex"? The first person is me, which is why I'll be posting updated pictures a bit later, but for now, this is your chance to show how much you remember about the ship in "Strange Things Going On in the Archipelago"...
I was distracted by the hull! :razz

Correct. :onya And here it is with the proper red sails...
That DOES realy look good and scary. Nice one! :woot

So was I. The only reason I noticed was that I'm playing the quest (in "Golden Age", to get a chance to do things to the original "Frigate_sat"), talked to someone who mentioned a black ship with red sails, and realised I'd missed out something on the "Essex". :facepalm
:rofl

Well, you figured it out anyway and that's what counts! :cheers
Plus... You got to tell a funny story again. ;)

The original Mefisto isn't that bad in terms of detail, especially with the addition of the "deck" file to provide the usual add-ons. It does have one detail not seen on any of the other stock frigates, nor on any current frigate model unless someone wants to try to add it in Maya - a pair of big horns on the stern, giving it a truly demonic appearance. The only major deficiency in "Frigate_sat" is the sparse rigging.

We'll soon see about that!
frigate_sat.jpg

The original Mefisto isn't that bad in terms of detail, especially with the addition of the "deck" file to provide the usual add-ons.
That's indeed how we "got away" with keeping so many stock game models inbetween the custom high-detail ones without them seeming too out of place.
The original stock game frigates and corvettes used to have extra "deck" detail too. But when @Armada made his custom high-detail replacements, we dropped them all from the mod.

It does have one detail not seen on any of the other stock frigates, nor on any current frigate model unless someone wants to try to add it in Maya - a pair of big horns on the stern, giving it a truly demonic appearance.
If the right small GM file can be found, that sounds like something that could be handled in TOOL as well.
@Jack Rackham, would you be able to find something appropriate for that?

The only major deficiency in "Frigate_sat" is the sparse rigging.

We'll soon see about that!
Since @The Nameless Pirate is attempting a full replacement, do you want to get started on the old ship's rigging right now?
The way I figure it, if The Nameless Pirate, Jack Rackham and you manage to update the Kreyser to have all relevant details of the "frigate_sat", I have no problem with just dumping the old one.
We did it before with other ships; we can do it again.

I have not merely started on the rigging for "Frigate_sat". As you can see from the picture, I've pretty well finished!

A Kreyser is still a Kreyser, one of the most common warships in the "Golden Age" and "Colonial Powers" periods, and it would be a shame to replace a unique quest ship with a standard frigate type. Besides, "PiratFrigateSup" is also a quest Kreyser - you can get one in "Golden Age" by doing the ship hunting quest for the governor of Martinique, and Nathaniel Hawk meets one in "Tales of a Sea Hawk" in the battle against Silehard's pirate allies. So I'd prefer to keep the original ship for these periods.

The new ship can go into "Revolutions", when the original ship looks a bit dated due to its high stern but the "Essex" can't be used because it's only valid for "Napoleonic". And so you get yet another version of Mefisto depending on your choice of period!

I have not merely started on the rigging for "Frigate_sat". As you can see from the picture, I've pretty well finished!
Oh; oops. Failed to pay attention there, sorry... :facepalm

A Kreyser is still a Kreyser, one of the most common warships in the "Golden Age" and "Colonial Powers" periods, and it would be a shame to replace a unique quest ship with a standard frigate type. Besides, "PiratFrigateSup" is also a quest Kreyser - you can get one in "Golden Age" by doing the ship hunting quest for the governor of Martinique, and Nathaniel Hawk meets one in "Tales of a Sea Hawk" in the battle against Silehard's pirate allies. So I'd prefer to keep the original ship for these periods.
You really think so? The Mefisto always used to be a "mostly copy" of the regular frigates, which got replaced with the Kreyser.
So doing the same thing again would only serve to bring things more in line to how it used to be in the stock game.

But indeed, it is open for debate and I'm not fussy one way or another. You're in charge these days as far as I'm concerned! :cheers

The new ship can go into "Revolutions", when the original ship looks a bit dated due to its high stern but the "Essex" can't be used because it's only valid for "Napoleonic". And so you get yet another version of Mefisto depending on your choice of period!
I like that idea! Good one. :onya

You really think so? The Mefisto always used to be a "mostly copy" of the regular frigates, which got replaced with the Kreyser.
So doing the same thing again would only serve to bring things more in line to how it used to be in the stock game.
Normally I'm the one trying to keep things like the stock game. :p But I'm very much in favour of using NH's superior range of ships for regular navies, leaving "Frigate_sat" only for use as a quest ship. (I could bring back one of the other stock frigates so that "Frigate_sat" can continue to be a copy of it, if you prefer. :p)

If the new Kreyser variant is the Animists' ship in "Revolutions" then it doesn't need horns - the Satanist Fluyt of War and Evil Essex don't have them. They'd have to be added with Maya because they'd have to fit the Kreyser's rounded stern plate.

By the way i agree with what @Grey Roger said, but i think if we are going to keep the original Mefisto we should add more detailed cannons.
That's a Maya job as well because the existing cannons are an integral part of the hull. They're not even separate components which can be removed and replaced by TOOL's "Edit Scene". "Frigate_sat.gm" has only two components, one of which is the deck plus all the cannons. But if someone wants to upgrade the cannons in Maya, I'll not object!

Back