• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

SFX Project

Legendary_Spider

Why is the rum always gone?
2D Artist
Provisional
Storm Modder
Huzzah!
thpirateshipff.gif

My theory turned out to be correct. The sound effects had not been working with one another because I had altered the length of certain tracks. Now that I have edited the new tracks I put in to be the same length as the stock tracks, all is well. I'm about 3/4's of the way done with my SFX project. I've been testing what I have so far and it sounds lovely. I think you all will be very pleased.
me.gif

Nearing completion of my SFX project. I'm on the last section (a rather vast one too), the ship sounds.
keith.gif
I got some pretty amazing sounds for the wood creaking along with brand new cannon blasts of all sizes.
type_1.gif

Nearly there!
me.gif

Sounds good! Whenever I play CoAS, I always do like the wood cracking sound when at sea; it does help with the atmosphere and we don't have it in PotC. YET! :dance

Huzzah!
hi.gif
I figured out how the code interacts with the sounds and music now, so now I can customize things much more to my liking instead of being so limited. Sorry mates, it'll still be perhaps a week till I'm done with my SXF/PotC Music projects.
razz.gif
Since I now know how to tinker with the sound and music commands in the code.

The code is more what you would call "guidelines", than actual rules. haha
guns.gif

I know people have worked on music, but has anyone ever worked on SFX before?
dunno.gif

The incorporation of the "On Stranger Tides" music into the PotC music pack has been very successful.
me.gif

I've been testing as I go along, but I could use a couple souls that are brave or fool enough to help me test and finalize this before we release it as a download to the community.
user_comment.gif

I'll just need a couple testers to play through the game and pay attention to the music and SFX and give me feedback on any problems and/or suggested fixes that I may miss.
type_1.gif

One thing I want particular feedback on is the volumes. It's been trial and error trying to get the volumes right so things don't overpower each other. Pain in the ass really. haha
modding.gif

I'd be willing to help test it; it's the least I can do to return your favour for helping to test my ship pack work. :drunk
Besides, I'm eager to see how you've transformed the game's atmosphere...

Be sure to tell me where in particular to pay attention, in case I miss anything important. I want to make sure I experience the full extent of your hard work, you see. ;)

There's been some work on adding SFX before, but not generally on redoing what is already there.

Originally I was going to replace every single sound effect in the game, but I soon realized some of the less noticeable ones are fine. For example, I left the footsteps alone, along with a majority of the voices.
type_1.gif

Still working on the ship sounds. My God, there's a ton of them! haha
mybad.gif

I'm thinking I'll be done with the music pack today, so we can post that as a new PotC music pack download on here and ModDB.
me.gif
In addition to simply adding music from OST, I've also been doing some sound editing and mixing to make the music flow better in the game.

Sounds great! Some of the music tracks from the film don't really work well in the game because the mood or intensity or so changes within the track.
So combining similar moods/intensties from different tracks would probably work better and hopefully help to get the music used more appropriate to its actual use.
I recall a comment on the first PotC movie music pack saying something to the extent that "even a walk to the shipyard sounds life-threatening".
That's not the general idea, is it? :rofl

Sounds great! Some of the music tracks from the film don't really work well in the game because the mood or intensity or so changes within the track.
So combining similar moods/intensties from different tracks would probably work better and hopefully help to get the music used more appropriate to its actual use.
I recall a comment on the first PotC movie music pack saying something to the extent that "even a walk to the shipyard sounds life-threatening".
That's not the general idea, is it? :rofl

Exactly! I've fixed all that.
me.gif
I always hated sailing along to nice serene music and then halfway through the track it switches to battle music. haha
modding.gif

For example, one thing I did is I removed the Davy Jones track as being the Sea_Battle_3 track and replaced it with the Blackbeard track from the 4th movie. The little music box just made the battle so anti -climactic.
mybad.gif

So I re-worked the Davy Jones track so it's JUST the organ part and have now made it the storm at sea music.
type_1.gif
That's just a tiny bit of what I've done.

You used the Davy Jones organ theme for the storm music? BRILLIANT! Now I really can't wait! :woot

Now that sounds like it makes sense! :onya

I have to admit I'm not overly fond of all the PotC film music. On OST, I only really like "Guilty of Being Innocent of Being Jack Sparrow", "Palm Tree Escape" and "End Title".
And the previously unreleased "haunted ship" music from DMC that's hiding in "Blackbeard" and doesn't fit the titular character even in the slightest. :rofl
However, "Up is Down" for the win! :dance

Are you basing your work on the original soundtrack releases of the four films or on what I uploaded to the FTP?
I've found a few additional tracks since then that I could put up there, such as "Jar of Dirt" (DMC sea battle between the FD and BP), "Will's Deal" (AWE) and "Maelstrom" (AWE).
Not to mention the stuff from the DVD menu's and "unreleased suites" disc that I already had in there; definitely some of the better material NOT on the original CDs. :cheeky

You used the Davy Jones organ theme for the storm music? BRILLIANT! Now I really can't wait! :woot

Yep. I took the extended organ music from the end credits from DMC and used it.
william.gif
As well as combining it with the music from AWE when the Dutchman explodes out of the water and blows the hell out of several ships.

Now that sounds like it makes sense! :onya

I have to admit I'm not overly fond of all the PotC film music. On OST, I only really like "Guilty of Being Innocent of Being Jack Sparrow", "Palm Tree Escape" and "End Title".
And the previously unreleased "haunted ship" music from DMC that's hiding in "Blackbeard" and doesn't fit the titular character even in the slightest. :rofl
However, "Up is Down" for the win! :dance

Are you basing your work on the original soundtrack releases of the four films or on what I uploaded to the FTP?
I've found a few additional tracks since then that I could put up there, such as "Jar of Dirt" (DMC sea battle between the FD and BP), "Will's Deal" (AWE) and "Maelstrom" (AWE).
Not to mention the stuff from the DVD menu's and "unreleased suites" disc that I already had in there; definitely some of the better material NOT on the original CDs. :cheeky

Can you give me the link to that? Sounds interesting. I was just using music from the 4 CD's.

Oh come on, the Blackbeard and Mermaids tracks are cool too. I like Angelica's theme too, but I'm a sucker for that Spanish guitar music. haha
icon_mrgreen1.gif
I'm actually using her theme for Spanish towns.
keith.gif

Here's the storm music just to give you a glimpse of the music mixing I've done.
type_1.gif
[attachment=6581:pOC_Storm.mp3]

Can you give me the link to that? Sounds interesting. I was just using music from the 4 CD's.
I'll upload it tomorrow; too late in the night now.

Oh come on, the Blackbeard and Mermaids tracks are cool too. I like Angelica's theme too, but I'm a sucker for that Spanish guitar music. haha
icon_mrgreen1.gif
I'm actually using her theme for Spanish towns.
keith.gif
I'm going to have to listen to it a bit more; haven't yet had the chance for a proper listen.

Here's the storm music just to give you a glimpse of the music mixing I've done.
type_1.gif
[attachment=6581:pOC_Storm.mp3]
Good one, that! Is the length similar to the original game's storm music? I always liked how the music went near the end of a storm; it always helped me to know when the storm would end.
Of course the storms now sometimes can last twice as long or worse, but still... :shrug

Good one, that! Is the length similar to the original game's storm music? I always liked how the music went near the end of a storm; it always helped me to know when the storm would end.
Of course the storms now sometimes can last twice as long or worse, but still... :shrug
No idea. I haven't been watching the length of the music tracks like I have the SFX tracks.

No worries then. It's unimportant for the other tracks and not very important for the storm one either. :no

See this post for the music I uploaded: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/11723-pirates-of-the-caribbean-music/page__view__findpost__p__395267
Tje first post contains the actual film music, the second one contains music related to the PotC films or the Akella series of pirate games.
Then the rest is more pirate/seafaring music from various films, TV series and computer games.

Back