• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Shotgun Mode + Free Camera Changes

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Anyone remember the "Shotgun Mode" cheat from the game? Turns out it still works!
ShotgunMode.jpg

Execute this through console to enable/disable:
Code:
            if(globalSGMode != false)
            {
                globalSGMode = false;
                Log_SetStringToLog("Shotgun mode OFF");
            }else{
                globalSGMode = true;
                Log_SetStringToLog("Shotgun mode ON");
            }
It seems to bypass some of the game's code though. Doesn't use the gun reload time at all and doesn't use shot either.

It DOES have blood effects and hit characters sometimes FLY away! :rofl

Anyone think we could put this to use somewhere? Any thoughts on how?

I used to have so much fun with this thing, particularly in places where you couldn't draw your sword. :rofl

It was originally a Cheat Mode function, wasn't it? Can't we put it back there again?
Otherwise, it would be cool if this could be used when firing a musket, but that's probably getting too complicated.

It was originally a Cheat Mode function, wasn't it? Can't we put it back there again?
Can do. And quite easily at that.

Otherwise, it would be cool if this could be used when firing a musket, but that's probably getting too complicated.
As I said, it seems to bypass near all of the regular gun firing code. NO clue where it gets its damage values from either.
I DO know that you get INSANE amounts of "Accuracy" skill with it. So I wouldn't recommend it for the muskets.

The shotgun item, though, is a different story. Shame though that it doesn't require ammo, but oh well; it is a "magic" weapon anyway.
And the shotgun has a similar reload time anyway.

I wonder if I can switch between Shotgun Mode and regular when pressing the Equip button.
That would mean you can't fight with your sword when you've got your shotgun, but you can equip a different gun anyway if you want to return to regular gameplay.

Might be some fun gameplay to have the player on top of a room and have to do some sniping or something.
Possibilities aplenty, I reckon. :wp

Here's a thought: maybe we could have Shotgun Mode as an unlock-able cheat/reward for defeating Clint Eastwood?
Then it could either be linked to equipping his shotgun, or just added as an extra option you can activate by pressing a specific key.

What's a possibility. But would we want to have it linked to the shotgun being equipped on normal keys or go full cheatmode on it?

I don't think going full Cheat Mode would be a good idea, but the player could always activate it while using Shotgun Mode if they wanted. :shrug

Shame though that it doesn't require ammo
I can take a look soon when I'm finished with another thing.

Is it in shotgun_mode it doesn't use ammo or always?

That might make the musketoon useable. As it is now the grapeshot pistol is far far better than the musketoon.

The musket/musketoon probably is unrelated.
This here is a cheat. A cheat we might be able to put to some fun use, but a cheat nonetheless. It's not going to be a fix for anything. :no

Is it in shotgun_mode it doesn't use ammo or always?
Shotgun mode doesn't use ammo. That's not related to the actual shotgun item.
In fact, you don't NEED the shotgun item at all.

Ok, I had an idea (in regular mode). As I already have invented new ammo for a
revolver I thought that would be more relevant for the shotgun.

Could be. I wonder if we can make "Shotgun Mode" use ammo at all. If not, I'd rather have the Shotgun not require ammo at all.
Then at least it'd match with the Shotgun Mode anyway. And it IS a bit of a cheat, so it doesn't matter so much if it is overpowered.
And you DO have to work hard to get it...

Anyway, I think I've got the shotgun working pretty well by first drawing your blade and then pressing Tab to switch to Shotgun Mode.
Does that sound fair enough? For now, I'm still requiring cheat-mode for this because, it is a cheat, isn't it?

Now here's a question on Camera Modes:
Is there anyone who LIKES the first person camera mode on land? I most certainly don't and would be happy to be rid of it.
In fact, I have made some code adjustments already that does so. It also improves the Free Camera Mode to no longer have an option for "Transparent Character Mode".

So now there are only these options:

- Third Person camera: always available
- Free Camera: if enabled in InternalSettings.h (now works WITHOUT starting a new game :dance )
- Shotgun Mode: if Cheatmode is on AND you have a shotgun equipped in fight mode

Seems nice and simple to me and I intend to keep it that way, unless anyone has any objections. :whipa

And I also added some code to prevent citizens from talking to you while in Free Camera Mode.
No more interrupted screenshot-taking. ;)

That's a great Idea!
Does the disabling of the 1st person also affect the 1st person on sailing?
For the shotgun-mode, idk if it should be a cheat, because cheat is , for me, always sth like "ok I cannot play this game w/o cheating because I'm too bad." So, idk, maybe you have to gain the shotgun from Clint Eastwood AND have to learn a certain abillity? Maybe this abillity which was required for some of these special pistols from Woodes Rodgers?

Now here's a question on Camera Modes:
Is there anyone who LIKES the first person camera mode on land? I most certainly don't and would be happy to be rid of it.

I don't generally use it when playing, but I DO occasionally use it for taking screenshots. Sometimes a first-person perspective can be quite effective for that, y'know?
Though I don't tend to use Free Camera mode, mind.

Does the disabling of the 1st person also affect the 1st person on sailing?
No, it doesn't. That works as well as it ever did.
I tried to improve on the Sea Free Camera Mode, but couldn't figure out how or if that is possible.

For the shotgun-mode, idk if it should be a cheat, because cheat is , for me, always sth like "ok I cannot play this game w/o cheating because I'm too bad." So, idk, maybe you have to gain the shotgun from Clint Eastwood AND have to learn a certain abillity? Maybe this abillity which was required for some of these special pistols from Woodes Rodgers?
At the moment, you need to:
1. Have the Cheatmode Enabled
2. Get the Shotgun from Clint Eastwood (NOT easy!)
3. Have the "Gunman" ability before being able to equip it
I would have been happy to leave out the cheat-mode requirement, if it weren't for the fact that it bypasses all damage code and just does 800-1500 damage in one shot.
And then you gain Accuracy skill at an insane rate. So it IS more of a cheat than using the shotgun in regular game-play. :facepalm

I don't generally use it when playing, but I DO occasionally use it for taking screenshots. Sometimes a first-person perspective can be quite effective for that, y'know?
Perfectly true. But now that the Shore Free Camera Mode takes effect on Savegames to, you can use that now instead.
I don't know how to allow the 1st person camera mode and still NOT have that stupid "transparent character" version.
Might be possible if you really think it is necessary, but if it's not necessary, I'd like to leave it as it is now.... :wp

I don't use free camera but do occasionally use 1st person for screenies. I do not like the way it sways around as I'm usually not that drunk.

I'd say, give the Free Camera Mode a try and let me know if you really want to get First Person back.
It'd also be possible to have separate toggles on Sea Free Camera and Land Free Camera if we'd want.

Is it possible to adjust the speed of the camera in the free camera mode? because most of the time the free-camera is somewhere complete different than me :D

At sea, you mean? Indeed that REALLY annoys me too. But as I said, I looked into that code today but couldn't make any sense of it.
Looks like pretty much all of it is hidden in the murky depths of the game engine and I cannot change it.
If I could, I'd definitely:
- Swap the up/down axis
- Put the initial location ABOVE the player ship
- Increase the speed
:facepalm

Back