• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Shotgun Mode + Free Camera Changes

The long pistol and the grapeshot pistol are about the best single shot guns in the game. Only the large pistol set and musket are better. It's rare for me to meet opponents who are all nicely bunched up so a hard hitting single shot is better than a weak multi shot.
That.... doesn't sound right at all? Is that based on before or after my pistol rebalancing?
The Scrapper Pistol is better than the Long Pistol on all accounts. In fact, it is just about twice as good.
The Grapeshot Pistol doesn't ever do more damage than the Long Pistol does; it can do the same damage or less.
And the Large Pistol Set only does about 20 more damage per shot than the Long Pistol. But of course you have the bonus of two shots.
In any case, I'm rather confused here. o_O

The blunderbuss explodes?
Can do, yes. Little joke CouchcaptainCharles added to it back in the early days. For some reason, it had been disabled for a while, but I restored it when I rebalanced the guns.

It just occurred to me that the Shotgun Mode has a reload time of about 1 second or something, which is still a bit of a cheat.
So I added some more code to render all shots ineffective while your pistol is not charged. So now officially the Shotgun Mode is in NO WAY a cheat.

Also a bit annoying: Since enemies fly everywhere when you shoot them, their looting spot is NOT where their corpse lies, but where they were when they died.
So looting gets a bit difficult. But oh well.... :shrug

I also included Jack Sparrow's pistol, just for fun. Somewhat inspired also by his excellent markmanship while flying through the rigging and firing at Davy Jones during the AWE ending battle. o_O

Has anyone been able to make a GOOD screenshot with this yet? The one I did wasn't quite as epic as I want it to be. :facepalm

I only have one with visible locators :facepalm .. But I will make a few nice screenies of the beta3 content when my new laptop comes tuesday or wednesday with powerful Nvidia graphics :D

Has anyone been able to make a GOOD Shotgun Mode screenie yet? The one in the opening post isn't very good. :oops:

Do you still have to enable it in the console? I'm carrying a musket and it would be nice to see something happen when that 12.5 mm ball slams into them.

It is already enabled for the musket. You just have to press Tab to make use of it.

Uh no. Pressing TAB changes from 3rd person view to 1st person view.

There has to be another way.

You have to draw your blade first, but then you do get into shotgun mode.
I know it works; I accidentally did it on one of your savegames once. :razz

Shotgun mode sucks! You have to push a bunch of buttons in a certain order to make it work. Too complicated to use.

Then you get stuck with the bobble-head.

Then you find that you can not use your sword.

And the end result is thoroughly underwhelming. The shootee jumps waay up in the air and sometimes dies and sometimes does not. There is no flying backwards.

I took a bunch of screenies and these 2 are the least bad.

shotgun-1.jpg shotgun-2.jpg

I'm afraid that's how the original game developers implemented it.
The only thing I changed is to enable it during regular play and to make it use the regular damage calculations to prevent it from being a cheat.
That does mean characters can survive, but then they would do so when you shot them normally as well.

The button-pressing isn't that difficult though, is it? You draw your sword, then switch to shotgun mode using Tab. o_O

For me to get any screenies it is a lot of buttons to push. First load from a save. Then hit F9. Then hit E. Then W and run to a good spot. Then hit TAB. Try to line up and shoot while also hitting the screenie button (page up for me). I got lots of screenies with nothing happening. Then try to find TAB while getting killed. Level 9, melee 5, battle armor and it still only takes 1-2 strokes to get killed.

Rinse and repeat.

Oh yeah, the musket does progressively less damage with each shot. The first guy dies with one shot but the last guy can take 6-8 shots.

For me to get any screenies it is a lot of buttons to push. First load from a save. Then hit F9. Then hit E. Then W and run to a good spot. Then hit TAB. Try to line up and shoot while also hitting the screenie button (page up for me). I got lots of screenies with nothing happening. Then try to find TAB while getting killed. Level 9, melee 5, battle armor and it still only takes 1-2 strokes to get killed.
True; this feature doesn't photograph well at all. It gets easier if the godmode is on, but even then, all those characters will run right up to you and then it'll STILL not look good.

Oh yeah, the musket does progressively less damage with each shot. The first guy dies with one shot but the last guy can take 6-8 shots.
That makes zero sense. It uses the same code as regular firing does. So the damage should just be random. o_O

Back