• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Some questions

Doesnt Build 14 Alpha 10 have the option to desable pratically all the changes, such as the new Caribbean Map? In the Advanced Options you can enable and disable lots of things so you can make your own game, in theory at least (never tried it myself).

There's still a lot of things left you can't turn off.
You can't turn the WHOLE map off, but you can disable the realistically renamed islands. :yes

Had any success, Thagarr?

I guess the Blacque quest won't work without modifications either. If I first deliver the letter and then bring Marc to Falaise De Fleur the game hangs during the dialog with Rachel.

I also tried the quest with the merchant on Falaise De Fleur. I guess that quest cannot be done at all. One of the characters in the quest doesn't even have a finished dialog file.

Anyway, I tried the 12.1 build mod for a bit, and I can see changes and can tell you've worked a lot on it. Good work. :) However, the text in the conversations is too small. Is there any way to change it back to it's original size? Would be less fun to play if the text has to be that small, but still you've done a good work. :yes

I'd really appreciate if there's a way to fix the quests without applying any build mods, though.

I haven't been able to find anything on my backups Baste, but I did go through and look at some of the fixes from Build 8.4, specially, the Zaid Murro/Bandits quest. In the zaid murro_dialog.c file, Nathan Kell initialed a couple of places were he added fixes to the code :

Code:
		case "bandits_over":
Dialog.snd = "voice\ZAMU\ZAMU011";
dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[62];
link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[63];
link.l1.go = "exit";
npchar.quest.bandits = "done";
AddpartyExp(pchar, 1800);
Officersreaction("good");
ChangeCharacterReputation(pchar, 2);
AddMoneyToCharacter(pchar, 800);
CloseQuestHeader("murro"); // NK
npchar.location = "none";
break;

case "bandits_01":
Dialog.snd = "voice\ZAMU\ZAMU012";
dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[64];
link.l1 = pcharrepphrase(DLG_TEXT[65], DLG_TEXT[66]);
link.l1.go = "bandits_4";
link.l2 = pcharrepphrase(DLG_TEXT[67], DLG_TEXT[68]);
link.l2.go = "exit"
break;

case "bandits_1":
Dialog.snd = "voice\ZAMU\ZAMU013";
dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[69];
link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[70];
link.l1.go = "bandits_2";
break;

case "bandits_2":
Dialog.snd = "voice\ZAMU\ZAMU014";
dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[71];
link.l1 = pcharrepphrase(DLG_TEXT[72], DLG_TEXT[73]);
link.l1.go = "bandits_3";
break;

case "bandits_3":
Dialog.snd = "voice\ZAMU\ZAMU015";
dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[74];
link.l1 = pcharrepphrase(DLG_TEXT[75], DLG_TEXT[76]);
link.l1.go = "bandits_4";
link.l2 = pcharrepphrase(DLG_TEXT[77], DLG_TEXT[78]);
link.l2.go = "exit";
npchar.quest.bandits = "1";
break;

case "bandits_4":
Dialog.snd = "voice\ZAMU\ZAMU022";
dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[79];
link.l1 = pcharrepphrase(DLG_TEXT[80], DLG_TEXT[81]);
link.l1.go = "exit";
npchar.quest.bandits = "1"; //NK
SetQuestHeader("murro"); // NK
AddQuestrecord("murro", "1");
pchar.quest.revenge_for_bandits.win_condition.l1 = "location";
pchar.quest.revenge_for_bandits.win_condition.l1.location = "Muelle_town_exit";
pchar.quest.revenge_for_bandits.win_condition = "revenge_for_bandits"; //NK fix
break;

You might compare what NK has changed to what you have currently in your zaid murro_dialog.c, you might try making those changes and see what happens. :shrug

Also, the tutorials and history manual has been released with the New Horizons Beta, but if you don't want to download the whole thing, you can get just the manual HERE!

The questbook ones arent major changes I will post the two lines that seem to be the big ones he changed :yes
Code:
                      npchar.quest.bandits = "1"; //NK
AND
Code:
                      pchar.quest.revenge_for_bandits.win_condition.l1 = "location";
pchar.quest.revenge_for_bandits.win_condition.l1.location = "Muelle_town_exit";  
pchar.quest.revenge_for_bandits.win_condition = "revenge_for_bandits"; //NK fix

The other two lines with //NK are just questbook and only affect the questbook entries ;)

Thanks mate! :dance

It worked. Thanks a lot. :D

Now, if only the other quests could be made to work, that would be great.

Clair Larrouse quest
Edgar Attwood quest
Blacque quest
Patric Cardone quest - I guess this one could be skipped, though, since a character in it doesn't have a finished dialog file.
Baldewyn Coffier quest (?)
Sabine Matton quest (?)

And also a way to get Vigila Mendes to leave the store after the quest is finished. Any other quest that can be activated?

You have done a good work with the modding, and I understand finding fixes for this might not be easy, but I'd really appreciate if you did. I'm willing to pay for getting everything to work. Yes, I know I can get it all for free by just getting a build mod, but since you've done a lot of work with the modding and it might be hard finding the fixes I am willing to pay for it if you want some form of compensation other than gratitude. :yes

Other than that, is there any way to change the text size in the 12.1 build mod?

Add this line at the end of the quest for Vigila Mendes to disappear
Code:
LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Vigila Mendes"));
Lai_ActorGoToLocation(characterFromID("Vigila Mendes"), "reload", "locator2", "none", "", "", 2.0);

Did you ever get round to trying Build 11?

You CAN increase the text size in the Build, yes, though I don't recall in which file.
It IS in there somewhere though. :yes

Now, if only the other quests could be made to work, that would be great.
Why reinvent the wheel? It's all already been done. :facepalm

Hi all,
The Virilla Mendes Quest works in Build14 Beta 1 +fixes. Only issue is that you cannot do anything else but go directly to the store on Martinique and back again.
The Ziad Morrow Quest also works - only issue is that the first two bad guys in the Jungle respawn after leaving the jungle - no longer bad guys and you cannot talk to them.

;)

Edit; Blaque quest also worked but not able to hire Marc afterwards - I sort or remember that this was possible but never did it in previous versions.

The original discussion about these quests was based on the stock game,
which did have the code for them, but unfinished and disabled.
In Build 14 Beta 1, it should all be working right.
Maybe you can check what Talisman put in the walkthroughs for those quests?

Just a small detail : apparently some of those disabled side quests were originaly made for the Danielle storyline ; in some dialogs the main character is clearly refered as being female. Among with a few code and dialog lines in some used dialog files, as well than a few orfan dialog files, these are are the only remaining that allow us to try to guess what this storyline would have been like.

That's interesting! Are those female references still in those dialogs? I never noticed that! :shock

I doubt... They must have been corrected by the time...
Don't you have some stock PotC backup? :cheeky

Well, I needed to take a break. So here is what I could find :

There were something in Sabine Maton dialog file for example - the one you need to excort to her aunt at former-Isla Muelle. There were a if (pchar.id == "Blaze"), so it looks like this quest was meant to be played differently by both main characters.
In Build 13 the dialog is no different that the one I have for my French stock PotC :
"I've heard a lot about you, ",
". Everyone says that you are the only female pirate...",

I think that the bad guys in Zaid Murro quest were considering you as a women, and they are called "danielle_quest_pirates".
From build 13 (similar to by French stock PotC) :
"Hey, it's the girl that killed our lads! Get her!",
"Good lord! How many of you are there?",
That could mean that Vigila Mendes quest was supposed to be part of Danielle story line, and perhaps Clair Larrousse one as well - Zaid Murro talks about him. But Clair Larrousse dialog is only built for a male main char and doesn't support this hypothesis.

I do have a stock PotC copy, but it's back home and I'm many miles away for the next four months.

Thanks for posting that; that's real interesting. :yes

Captain Maggee:

Where exactly do I add that, and which of the two lines? In the "quests_reaction" file the last entry for Vigila Mendes seems to be about what happens if he dies, which I don't want to, and the one before that is about when he walks away from Falaise De Fleur's store.

Pieter Boelen:

Did you ever get round to trying Build 11?

You CAN increase the text size in the Build, yes, though I don't recall in which file.
It IS in there somewhere though. :yes
No, haven't done so, at least not yet. Tried 12.1 since you said it was the least recommended.

Well, unless someone can point to where, I guess I have to look around and try find it myself. :p

Why reinvent the wheel? It's all already been done. :facepalm
Well, IF (just saying if) I don't like the modifications, I would like to have the quests enabled but without other modifications.

Thagarr (or anyone else who might know), could I perhaps fix the quests by looking at the code in the files in the 8.4 build? Since it's the oldest available I thought perhaps it has all the quests fixed and still is recognizable to the original code, which apparently the newer builds are not.

Actually looking at the code file myself its already set up to do it :shrug

You just need to talk to him back in Isla Muelle and once that is done he should walk out and leave forever

Well, it doesn't work. He stays in the store and is there every time I enter.

In which section should the lines be, and you are probably using a build mod, right? If so, perhaps yours is right while mine is wrong. =/

About that, anyone know what the line
Code:
case "vigila_to_muelle_tavern":
Lai_ActorWaitDialog(characterFromID("Vigila Mendes"), pchar);
is about? Why would he go to Isla Muelle's tavern? Anyone who happen to have found out anything about this?

By the way, about another thing. I know that a couple of years ago when I searched for information about the game I saw some posts, probably on this forum, about enabling crew to walk around the deck even in first person view and to enable a menu that was supposed to let you choose if you wanted to play as a male or a female. I would like to know how to do this as well. For the menu, I know it won't work correctly since only the male character got finished, I only want to see it. As I remember you only needed to change some lines in some files which was relatively easy to do. Anyone who knows anything about this?

No I have the Vanialla game installed on my system (as well as: Build 13, Build 14 Alpha 10, Build 14 Beta 1)

I looked at the files and here is the part that should make him walk out:
Code:
		case "mendes_away_forewer":
LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Vigila Mendes"));
LAi_ActorGoToLocation(characterFromID("Vigila Mendes"), "reload", "locator2", "none", "", "", "", 3.0);
//ZAID MURRO - çàêðûâàåì âîçìîæíîñòü ïðîõîäèòü ýòîò êâåñò
ChangeCharacterAddress(characterFromID("Zaid Murro"), "none", "");
break;

and the line of code that makes it happens is in Vigila Mendes_dialog.c and is this one
Code:
AddDialogExitQuest("mendes_away_forewer");

Upon your previous posts, I went to search for Build 11 and posted it in this forum's Downloads section.
It shouldn't take you much trouble to find it, really.
Build 11 was the first Build version that worked on ALL language versions of the game.
Build 10 didn't work on European versions.

How did you find Build 12.1 when you tried it?

Personally I can't really imagine you wouldn't like the modifications in the Builds.
And most of the stuff you potentially REALLY wouldn't like is stuff that can be toggled on/off

seperately.
We never really removed anything good from the game, just added and added more stuff.

Build 11:
- Stock game
- Fixes
- Convenience modifications, such as additional keyboard controls
- Letter of Marque and Promotion mod: have to talk to a governor to enable this
- Divide the Plunder mod: have to switch manually from salary to articles to enable this
- Difficulty level system: can choose your own
- Etc.

Build 12:
- Fred Bob quest added
- Blacksmith added to Douwesen port
- Laying up of ships
- Quicksave/Quickload added
- Choose Character Outfit interface
- Etc.

Build 13:
- New islands
- Choose Character Interface at start of game
- Etc.

Build 14:
- Various main quests available
- Various time settings available
- Sail from island-to-island in 3D sailing mode
- Etc.

Seriously a lot of cool stuff in there that vastly expand the game in every single way. :yes

I would like to mention that the Build 11 ReadMe is definitly well worth a read;
it shows a lot of the progress made in the old days.

Back