• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Some questions

A thing I was thinking about... The crew from AoP, does it work like in PotC, just have to replace the files for it with updated ones? If so, could you or someone else perhaps please upload the files? So I don't have to download the entire build mod. I am thinking about trying it later, though. :)
It might be in this file, but I'm not 100% sure; you'd have to check:
http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/AoP_to_PotC_files.rar

Another thing, what must I do to add Jack Sparrow to the game? I have copied all the "depp" files and the "face" files for the model and I have added a "case" for the model in the "characters_init" file and the "quests_reaction" file. Everything "works", I can see all the interface pictures for the model in the game and I can move around, but it's gray, the character has no color. What else do I have to do to make it work properly?
Did you put depp.tga.tx in RESOURCE\Textures\Characters ?

It wasn't that file. It only contained "officers.c" and "utilite.c". :/

Did you put depp.tga.tx in RESOURCE\Textures\Characters ?
Yes, I did. It seems I didn't miss any "depp" file.

No ideas on what to do with the items and the equipping of them? :(

AoP crewmembers: I hope somebody else can upload those for you, because I'm not in the position right now to do it. :(

Can you use the GM Viewer to check what other textures depp.gm is using? He shouldn't be gray! :shock

I'm a bit confused on the whole equipping thing, I'm afraid. :?

AoP crewmembers: I hope somebody else can upload those for you, because I'm not in the position right now to do it. :(
I see. Well, thanks anyway. :)

Can you use the GM Viewer to check what other textures depp.gm is using? He shouldn't be gray! :shock
It showed that the only texture file "depp.gm" is using is "depp.tga.tx". I found the problem and solved it, though. Since it looks for "depp.tga.tx" it didn't find my change of it to "jack.tga.tx", so I had to change it back. I wanted to change the name of the file since the character in the game is Jack Sparrow and not Johnny Depp. I should have thought of changing it back before I posted. No wonder it didn't work. :p

I'm a bit confused on the whole equipping thing, I'm afraid. :?
Yeah, it's strange. Works when the unequip mod is disabled but not when it's enabled. I'll try experimenting some more with it and see if I somehow can fix it. :/

Thanks, A Simple Virtual Sailor! :woot

It showed that the only texture file "depp.gm" is using is "depp.tga.tx". I found the problem and solved it, though. Since it looks for "depp.tga.tx" it didn't find my change of it to "jack.tga.tx", so I had to change it back. I wanted to change the name of the file since the character in the game is Jack Sparrow and not Johnny Depp. I should have thought of changing it back before I posted. No wonder it didn't work. :p
Ah! If you change any texture file names, you need to HEX edit the GM file to match, otherwise it'll still point to the old file.
In the Build Mod, we've got a "Jack.gm" as well, which is Captain Jack with his coat and hat.

Thanks a lot, A simple virtual sailor. :)

While we're talking about the crew on deck, is there any way to position the camera a little higher above the deck while moving around on the ship? I don't like being as tall or taller as/than everybody else on land but shorter than the crew while on the ship. I looked in "AICameras" and tried some changes but it didn't work. Also, is it possible to make the moving speed on ship (only on ship and not the flying camera) like the moving speed on land, with the speed being walking speed normally but having running speed while holding Shift? As it is now it's like the character is only running while on the ship.

Ah! If you change any texture file names, you need to HEX edit the GM file to match, otherwise it'll still point to the old file.
In the Build Mod, we've got a "Jack.gm" as well, which is Captain Jack with his coat and hat.
I should have thought of that as well. I edited the files now and now it works with the name change. :)
About the other Jack Sparrow model, could that also please be uploaded (with interface pictures and all) so I can have a look at that as well?

Regarding the equipping thing, I suppose the changes that makes it possible to manually equip officers equipment can't be applied to the stock game, right? But if they can, may I kindly ask for that too? I thought in case I can't fix it so they equip things automatically.

I might be getting annoying with all my questions and requests, and if so I apologize.

While we're talking about the crew on deck, is there any way to position the camera a little higher above the deck while moving around on the ship? I don't like being as tall or taller as/than everybody else on land but shorter than the crew while on the ship. I looked in "AICameras" and tried some changes but it didn't work. Also, is it possible to make the moving speed on ship (only on ship and not the flying camera) like the moving speed on land, with the speed being walking speed normally but having running speed while holding Shift? As it is now it's like the character is only running while on the ship.
Height above the deck is, I think, based on the height of the "camera" locator for each ship.
This can be changed, but has to be done for each ship seperately.

I should have thought of that as well. I edited the files now and now it works with the name change. :)
About the other Jack Sparrow model, could that also please be uploaded (with interface pictures and all) so I can have a look at that as well?
Try these files:
http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Damski62/Fixed%20Characters/Jack%20Sparrow.rar
http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Damski62/Fixed%20Characters/Jack%20Sparrow-updated.rar

Regarding the equipping thing, I suppose the changes that makes it possible to manually equip officers equipment can't be applied to the stock game, right? But if they can, may I kindly ask for that too? I thought in case I can't fix it so they equip things automatically.
The way this mod works is so that if you select a different character in the F2>Character interface,
when you go to the inventory, you'll open that character's inventory.
The code for this is probably in PROGRAM\INTERFACE\Characters.c and Items.c,
but these files are heavily modified and I'm not at all sure how to easily port this over to stock PotC.
I'm sure it can be done, but I am not going to have any time for the next few months to figure out how... :?

Height above the deck is, I think, based on the height of the "camera" locator for each ship.
This can be changed, but has to be done for each ship seperately.
This has to be done in the model files for the ships, right?

Try these files:
http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Damski62/Fixed%20Characters/Jack%20Sparrow.rar
http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Damski62/Fixed%20Characters/Jack%20Sparrow-updated.rar
They work. Thank you. :) But, are there any interface pictures for them as well?

The way this mod works is so that if you select a different character in the F2>Character interface,
when you go to the inventory, you'll open that character's inventory.
The code for this is probably in PROGRAM\INTERFACE\Characters.c and Items.c,
but these files are heavily modified and I'm not at all sure how to easily port this over to stock PotC.
I'm sure it can be done, but I am not going to have any time for the next few months to figure out how... :?
You don't have to. :eek: I appreciate help, but I don't want anyone to go through a lot of trouble to find solutions for my questions. I thought they would be heavily modified, but maybe I'll download the entire thing and see if I understand any of it if I can't get what I have to work. Thanks for your help. :)

This has to be done in the model files for the ships, right?
Yes. :yes

They work. Thank you. :) But, are there any interface pictures for them as well?
We just took a picture from the movie and modified it a bit.
The portrait seems to be Thomas the Terror's work, so it's probably in his folder somewhere: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Thomas%20the%20Terror%20files/
Might be "Jacks, Sailors and citizens.zip" or otherwise "Revised Jacks 2.0.rar".

I'll have to think about doing that or not.

We just took a picture from the movie and modified it a bit.
The portrait seems to be Thomas the Terror's work, so it's probably in his folder somewhere: http://www.pyratesah...Terror%20files/
Might be "Jacks, Sailors and citizens.zip" or otherwise "Revised Jacks 2.0.rar".
They, and others I tried, only have GM files and TX files, unfortunately.
http://legend.seaward.ru/am_manual_files/image002.jpg - Is this perhaps the picture you're referring to?

The portrait files ARE .tga.tx files... :?
Nope, that's not the portrait we've got in use for "Jack",
though we did use that one for "depp" at some point in the past. :yes

What I mean is that they don't contain any portraits. The only TX files are the ones in the "Textures\Characters" folder.
Ah, all right. :p

I hope somebody else can upload those files for you then; too bad they're not in there somewhere.
If nobody does, I can recommend getting Build 14 Beta 1; then you'll know for sure you've got all content that we do.
I'm back at sea now, so it'll be harder than ever for me to actually upload/send any files. :(

Don't worry, I'll try the beta of build mod 14. Should I get "Patch 3" as well? I noticed the patch isn't in the download section, but on Mod DB. There isn't any difference between the beta in the download section and the beta on Mod DB, right, just two different places to download from?

The ModDB and PiratesAhoy! files are exactly the same; they're just mirrors in case one disappears.
I definitly recommend getting Patch 3 as well, since it contains some fixes and improvements.
The original release of Patch 3 has a small but annoying issue in there that was solved in Patch 3.1.
If you get the one from the ModDB, it should be the correct one. I didn't check the PA! one, but it's probably good too.

When I was posting Patch 3 just before leaving to sea, I didn't have time to update all references.
I'm getting rather fed-up of posting it in 10 different places anyway,
so I'm thinking of just completely moving over to the ModDB for file hosting.
That way, there'll be just one page where you'll be certain that the latest information is posted.

I thought so. I have downloaded the build mod and the 3.1 patch from Mod DB now. I can see this version has even more changes. I haven't tried it out a lot, but you have really done a lot of work. :)

I can understand if it's annoying to upload to several places, so yeah, just using Mod DB seems like a good idea.

I've checked out the portraits and other things. A nice thing is that the dialog text is more readable now even though it's smaller. :)

In the stock game if viewing the abilities of an officer and then cancelling it returns to the view of the main character, but in build mod 11 this is fixed so it stays on the officer in question. I've managed to fix this in my game as well. Unfortunately you can't change character if you exit the ability view of an officer, you have to exit and enter the character view again. In build mod 14 (I don't know about 12.1 and 13), however, you can still change character when exiting the ability view of an officer. What must I do in order to make it possible in my game as well? I think it has something to do with "SetNodeUsing("LEFTCHANGE_CHARACTER",false);" and "SetNodeUsing("RIGHTCHANGE_CHARACTER",false);" in the "character.c" file in "PROGRAM\INTERFACE".

About the equipping thing I had trouble with, I guess I have to have the mod that makes officers unequip disabled. I have tried several things but couldn't get it to work, so sadly I have to have it disabled, at least until I perhaps find a solution.

Sounds like you might want to try the SetNodeUsing lines with true in the "close interface" code. Or something... :?

It works in build mod 12.1 as well. From what I can make out it has something to do with the following code:
Code:
int ListMax;						// added after build 11 by KAM
ref MainChar;						// added after build 11 by KAM

void InitInterface_R(string iniName,ref pCharacter)
{
int i;
//	curOfficer = 0;
MainChar = GetMainCharacter();			// added after build 11 by KAM
FillCharactersList(pCharacter);			// added after build 11 by KAM

//View Enc Officer Mod: Taghmon

//xi_refMainChar = pCharacter;
//xi_refCharacter = pCharacter;
bool  OfficerReturnFromPerk = false;

xi_refMainChar = GetMainCharacter();
xi_refCharacter = pCharacter;

// changed after build 11 by KAM -->
if (sti(pCharacter.index) != GetMainCharacterIndex())
{
if(CheckAttribute(MainChar,"CharacterInterface_ViewEncOfficer"))
{
GameInterface.View_Enc_Officer = "1";
FillCharactersList_EncOfficerOnly(pCharacter);
}
}
// <-- changed after build 11 by KAM

//View Enc Officer Mod End
Code:
//View Enc Officer Mod: Taghmon

If(Checkattribute(GameInterface, "View_Enc_Officer"))
{
bBeParty = false;
SetNodeUsing("LEFTCHANGE_CHARACTER",false);
SetNodeUsing("RIGHTCHANGE_CHARACTER",false);
}

//View Enc Officer Mod End
Code:
// added after build 11 by KAM -->

void SetNextParty(bool bRight)
{
string tempstring;
int tempidx;

if (bRight)
{
curOfficer++;
if (curOfficer > ListMax) { curOfficer = 1; }
}
else
{
curOfficer--;
if (curOfficer < 1) { curOfficer = ListMax; }
}

tempstring = "member" + curOfficer;
tempidx = sti(MainChar.tempCharactersList.(tempstring).idx);
xi_refCharacter = GetCharacter(tempidx);
AddCharacterExp(xi_refCharacter,0);
}

void FillCharactersList(ref ViewingCharacter)
{
int tempnum1;
int tempnum2;
int tempnum3;
int tempnum4;
int tempnum5;
ref tempchar;
string tempstring1;
string tempstring2;
string tempstring3;

If (CheckAttribute(MainChar,"tempCharactersList"))
{
DeleteAttribute(MainChar,"tempCharactersList");
if (TRACELOG == 1) { Trace("deleted existing list"); }
}

ListMax = 1;

// ******* STEP 1/5: ADD MAIN CHARACTER *******

MainChar.tempCharactersList.member1.idx = sti(MainChar.index);
if (TRACELOG == 1) { Trace("added mainchar"); }
ListMax++;

// ******* STEP 2/5: ADD OFFICERS *******

for (tempnum1 = 1; tempnum1 < 4; tempnum1++)
{
tempnum2 = GetOfficersIndex(MainChar,tempnum1);
if (tempnum2 >= 0)
{
tempstring1 = "member" + ListMax;
MainChar.tempCharactersList.(tempstring1).idx = tempnum2;
if (TRACELOG == 1) { Trace("added list member " + ListMax + ": idx " + tempnum2 + " type 1"); }
ListMax++;
}
}

// ******* STEP 3/5: ADD COMPANIONS AND THEIR OFFICERS *******

for (tempnum1 = 1; tempnum1 < 4; tempnum1++)
{
tempnum2 = GetCompanionIndex(MainChar,tempnum1);
if (tempnum2 >= 0)
{
if (TRACELOG == 1) { Trace("added list member " + ListMax + ": idx " + tempnum2 + " type 2"); }
ListMax++;

tempchar = GetCharacter(tempnum2);
for (tempnum3 = 1; tempnum3 < 4; tempnum3++)
{
tempnum4 = GetOfficersIndex(tempchar,tempnum3);
if (TRACELOG == 1) { Trace("checking officer " + tempnum3 + ", idx " + tempnum4 + ", of companion " + tempnum1 + ", idx " + tempnum2); }
if (tempnum4 >= 0)
{
MainChar.tempCharactersList.(tempstring1).idx = tempnum4;
if (TRACELOG == 1) { Trace("added list member " + ListMax + ": idx " + tempnum4 + " type 3"); }
ListMax++;
}
}
}
}

// ******* STEP 4/5: ADD NON-OFFICER PASSENGERS *******

for (tempnum1 = 0; tempnum1 < GetPassengersQuantity(MainChar); tempnum1++)
{
tempnum2 = GetPassenger(MainChar,tempnum1);
if (tempnum2 >= 0)
{
tempchar = GetCharacter(tempnum2);
if (IsOfficer(tempchar) == false)
{
if (TRACELOG == 1) { Trace("added list member " + ListMax + ": idx " + tempnum2 + " type 4"); }
ListMax++;
}
}
}

// ******* STEP 5/5: ADD CAPTAINS ON SHORE LEAVE AND THEIR OFFICERS *******

for (tempnum1 = 0; tempnum1 < 8; tempnum1++)
{
tempstring1 = "port" + tempnum1;
for (tempnum2 = 1; tempnum2 < 5; tempnum2++)
{
tempstring2 = "slot" + tempnum2;
if (sti(MainChar.ShipBerthing.(tempstring1).(tempstring2).status) == 2)
{
tempnum3 = sti(MainChar.ShipBerthing.(tempstring1).(tempstring2).captainindex);
tempstring3 = "member" + ListMax;
MainChar.tempCharactersList.(tempstring3).idx = tempnum3;
if (TRACELOG == 1) { Trace("added list member " + ListMax + ": idx " + tempnum3 + " type 5"); }
ListMax++;

tempchar = GetCharacter(tempnum3);
for (tempnum4 = 1; tempnum4 < 4; tempnum4++)
{
tempnum5 = GetOfficersIndex(tempchar,tempnum4);
if (TRACELOG == 1) { Trace("checking officer " + tempnum4 + ", idx " + tempnum5 + ", of shore leave captain idx " + tempnum3); }
if (tempnum5 >= 0)
{
MainChar.tempCharactersList.(tempstring1).idx = tempnum5;
if (TRACELOG == 1) { Trace("added list member " + ListMax + ": idx " + tempnum5 + " type 6"); }
ListMax++;
}
}
}
}
}

ListMax--;
if (TRACELOG == 1) { Trace("list total: " + ListMax); }
curOfficer = 1;
xi_refCharacter = GetMainCharacter();

tempnum3 = sti(ViewingCharacter.index);
for (tempnum1 = 1; tempnum1 <= ListMax; tempnum1++)
{
tempstring1 = "member" + tempnum1;
tempnum2 = sti(MainChar.tempCharactersList.(tempstring1).idx);
if (tempnum2 == tempnum3)
{
curOfficer = tempnum1;
xi_refCharacter = GetCharacter(tempnum2);
}
}

}

void FillCharactersList_EncOfficerOnly(ref tempEncOfficer)
{
If (CheckAttribute(MainChar,"tempCharactersList"))
{
DeleteAttribute(MainChar,"tempCharactersList");
if (TRACELOG == 1) { Trace("deleted existing list"); }
}

ListMax = 1;
curOfficer = 1;

MainChar.tempCharactersList.member1.idx = sti(tempEncOfficer.index);
xi_refCharacter = GetCharacter(sti(MainChar.tempCharactersList.member1.idx));

if (TRACELOG == 1) { Trace("added enc officer id " + sti(MainChar.tempCharactersList.member1.idx) + ". list total: " + ListMax); }
}

// <-- added after build 11 by KAM
Code:
void ProcessCancelExit()
{
interfaceResultCommand = RC_INTERFACE_CHARACTER_EXIT;

DeleteAttribute(MainChar,"tempCharactersList");			// added after build 11 by KAM
if(CheckAttribute(MainChar,"CharacterInterface_ViewEncOfficer")) { DeleteAttribute (MainChar,"CharacterInterface_ViewEncOfficer"); }

// View Enc Officer Mod: Taghmon

If (CheckAttribute(GameInterface,"View_Enc_Officer")) {DeleteAttribute(GameInterface, "View_Enc_Officer") ; CharInterfaceExit(true);}

else
{
if( CheckAttribute(&InterfaceStates,"InstantExit") && sti(InterfaceStates.InstantExit)==true )
{
CharInterfaceExit(true);
}
else
{
PostEvent("LaunchIAfterFrame",1,"sl", "I_SELECTMENU", 1);
CharInterfaceExit(false);
}
}
// View Enc Officer Mod End
This is from the file in build mod 12.1. I haven't compared it in detail to the file in build mod 14 beta 1 but they seem similar in these parts. I tried applying these changes but it didn't work. "SetNextParty" (and perhaps the new parts which aren't in the stock file) and the change of "xi_refMainChar = pCharacter;" to "xi_refMainChar = GetMainCharacter();" seems to be the most important parts for this mod. Unless anyone understands this and knows what I need to do to make it work I guess I have to leave that for now as well. :(

It seems "KAM" is the one who made this mod, but I can't find a member with that username. Does he/she go by another name here? If he/she really is the one who made the mod and is still here and perhaps working on build mod 14. Whoever did it and if still here, I would kindly want to ask him/her if he/she has time to tell me if it's possible to make this work in the stock game and if so what I need to do in order to make it work. If the person is not here or does not have the time, then okay. I would just like that particular thing to work since it looks stupid not being able to change character after viewing an officer's abilities. :p

By the way, Pieter, I've read things about the capsize mod and you made that, correct? Would that be possible to add to the stock game? Also, I recall reading that you said that in the stock game there's nothing to do in storms besides striking the sails and wait until it's possible to leave. Well, actually there is. If you strike the sails they will take less damage, as you know, but if you also try to align the ship so that it's with the wind or against the wind, I don't remember which one or if it is both, you will gain more experience points. Besides gaining more EXP your ship also takes less damage, I think.

Regardless of how it works in the game, it would be interesting to know how a storm in real life should be handled. I guess it's best to strike sails and align the ship with the wind, that way you're going the same way as the waves and thus less waves crash into the hull and it doesn't get as damaged. I'm just guessing. It would also be interesting to know if it's different for today's modern ships, like big passenger ships, perhaps they don't have any problems unless it's a powerful storm, or if they also should handle storms the same as old ships should.

Back