• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Some questions

Thanks very much for that; I'm including it in our next modpack release.
Indeed the fists were far too powerful with my original code; let's see how this goes. :yes

"sti(enemy.index) != GetMainCharacterIndex()" is to prevent the player from getting stunned and you losing control of your character.

What about that piercing value though? I originally figured it'd be hard to block a fist in the head with your blade.
But you'd also get hurt in the process, which you do through some code in LAi_fightparams.c .
Additionally, I also made the block value 0 since if you do try to block a hit with your sword, you're going to get cut up.

Glad you like it! :)

Ah. Maybe that part should be removed? I mean, shouldn't the player follow the same rules and also possibly be stunned if punched by another character? I think level should be accounted for but as I said I couldn't get it to work. Maybe it could be a toggable option. Maybe it would be too much of an annoyance and is therefore not applicable for the player. Again, just some thoughts.

I thought that if an opponent can block a sword with his own sword, he should also be able to block a hand and an arm with his sword, and even cutting the attacker while doing so. If the piercing value is 100% it does not matter how good he blocks, the punch will always hit, although I don't really know how it works if the block value is also 100%. I think this is strange so I set it to 0%. Unless the attacker uses techniques for attacking an armed opponent while being unarmed oneself, I think it is more reasonable that it is harder to punch an opponent blocking with a sword without getting hurt.
This is what I think. :p

Armor should probably also affect the amount of damage you deal to an opponent with a punch, but I don't know how that could be implemented in a good way. :?

By the way, I have another minor fix. In the "mainmenu" files in "RESOURCE\INI\INTERFACES" and "RESOURCE\INI\NEW_INTERFACES", disable or remove the following lines to remove the sparkling effect in the main menu where the logo used to be:
Code:
;item	= LANG,Russian,GLOWS,LOGOGLOWS_RUS
;item	= LANG,English,GLOWS,LOGOGLOWS
;item	= LANG,Polish,GLOWS,LOGOGLOWS
;item	= LANG,Spanish,GLOWS,LOGOGLOWS
;item	= LANG,German,GLOWS,LOGOGLOWS
;item	= LANG,French,GLOWS,LOGOGLOWS

;[LOGOGLOWS]
;pos	= 183,32
;pos	= 278,74
;pos	= 308,75
;pos	= 386,57
;pos	= 527,74
;pos	= 533,73
;pos	= 502,73
;pos	= 250,74
You might want to disable or remove the related ones as well.

Being knocked out for the player would be fair and make sense but would be more complicated to code.
I personally don't care enough to add that in, but don't let that stop you if you want to do it.
Originally the fists were only a bugfix for the bladedamage mod anyway: if your blade breaks and you're stuck with no blade left,
you can't put back your blade either and then you're stuck. So now you'll always have your fists and not have this problem.

Good call on the logo glows; I had hoped somebody some day might move the sparkles to match with the new logo,
but since it looks like nobody will be doing that any time soon, it makes more sense to just remove them. :yes

So it's not just to remove the "sti(enemy.index) != GetMainCharacterIndex()" part? I see.

It seems it would be complicated to move the sparkles correctly. :/

Moving the sparkles would probably require some trial-and-error. :facepalm

And indeed just removing "sti(enemy.index) != GetMainCharacterIndex()" will just cause trouble for the player character. :(

I would like to change which kinds of enemies I can encounter at certain locations. I would like to face mummies in the temple, not the regular undead. If it's possible I would also like to make them so that they fight without swords, like the monkeys. While making it so that I face mummies in the temple, I still want to face regular undead (skeletons and monkeys) in the dungeons and the jungles at night. Other encounters being unchanged. I tried to fix this but it didn't work, I ended up with only fighting mummies in the temple and the dungeons, so apparently I did something wrong and changed it back. Can anyone help me with this?
Fixed. I let them have sabers, though. Now that I know more about code this was surprisingly easy.

In the "Ships_init" file I've noticed that the ships that can have 32 lb cannons have the following lines:
Code:
refShip.Height.Bombs.Y			= 1.0;	refShip.Height.Bombs.DY		= 0.5;
refShip.Height.Grapes.Y			= 2.0;	refShip.Height.Grapes.DY	= 1.0;
refShip.Height.Knippels.Y		= 10.0;	refShip.Height.Knippels.DY	= 8.0;
refShip.Height.Balls.Y			= 1.0;	refShip.Height.Balls.DY		= 0.5;
What does this mean? Does it have anything to do with the 32 lb cannons? Do I have to put these lines in the entry for any ship that I want to have 32 lb cannons, or is that not needed?
I enabled the 32 lb cannons and these lines does not seem to be needed.

I've also read somewhere that it can be made so that you can sail with a fort. Is this true? If so, how can it be made? :D
Concluded to be impossible without editing model files. Even if the fort would have values for speed and other things it would still need to load a model able to walk around on and such, and there probably is no such thing. So, what I read about sailing with a fort is probably not true.

Moving the sparkles would probably require some trial-and-error. :facepalm

And indeed just removing "sti(enemy.index) != GetMainCharacterIndex()" will just cause trouble for the player character. :(
Yes, and probably also changing their size since the logo is smaller.

All right. :/

And why do I suddenly have an avatar? :?

It appears that anyone who doesn't have an avatar got the same one. This had me quite confused for a while. :facepalm

Ah.

Let's say you enter a sea battle alone against two pirate ships. In the stock game, if you board one of them the music will reset to sailing music when the boarding is over, and if you board the other one as well it will change to battle music when the battle is over. In the build mod this is fixed, but another problem in it is that the "victory" sound is not played when the battle is over. In my game I have fixed these problems, and I thought I could try my changes in the build mod as well and they work there too. I have also made it so that the boarding music plays in every boarding and not just the ones where the enemy has surrendered from the start. I'm uploading the modified files so you can see what I've changed. The changes are signed so just search for "Baste" in the files.

I've basically made it so that the battle music always plays after a boarding, and this isn't a problem since I also made it change to sailing music after the "victory" sound has been played.

In this code in the "BattleInterface" file:
Code:
void StartBattleInterface()
{
bi_nReloadTarget = -1;
bi_icons_ShowType = BI_ICONS_ST_MYSHIPS;
BI_SetCommandMode(BI_COMMODE_MY_SHIP_SELECT,-1,-1,-1);
BI_SetIslandData();
InterfaceSpyGlassInit();
objShipPointer.textures.friend = "battle_interface\Frendly.tga";
objShipPointer.textures.enemy = "battle_interface\Enemy.tga";
CreateEntity(&objShipPointer,"shippointer");
LayerAddObject(SEA_EXECUTE,&objShipPointer,222222);
LayerAddObject(SEA_REALIZE,&objShipPointer,222222);
}
It wouldn't be possible to add "objShipPointer.textures.neutral = "battle_interface\Neutral.tga";" and get it to work, right? I've tried different ways of getting neutral ships to have another pointer but have so far been unsuccessful.

The pointer? Is that the arrow in 3D sailing mode? Not the interface one, but the one pointing at the 3D ship model?
I doubt we can do much with that, but you can always try... :?

Your music changes sound interesting; I'll add them to the next Build release. :yes

Yes, the arrow hovering above the ships when they are selected in the "Sail to" command. When hovering above a friendly ship it has a green "gem" in its center and when hovering above an enemy ship, as well as a neutral ship, it has a red one. I made a gray one for neutral ships but haven't been able to get it to work. I tried different ways of getting the ships' relation so it would have the right color but it didn't work. Seems like it can't be done.

Cool. :)

By the way, in the control settings in the option menu, if a control is selected it can be changed to another key, but there is also an option to "Invert" it. What does it do? It doesn't seem to do anything. :?

I think "Invert" is mainly intended for joystick/mouse type controls; the game was originally available for XBOX also. :shrug

:gday

We can find you easier if you post in the main PotC forum.

Low morale leading to mutiny is usually caused by having no food or rum, or having more than $1,000,000 piasters in ships money. If you have too much money, put the excess in your ships locker and see how your crew likes it. :cheers

1.000.000 ABOVE the monthly salary, that is. Your crew gets envious and wants to go to Divide the Plunder mode.

I think "Invert" is mainly intended for joystick/mouse type controls; the game was originally available for XBOX also. :shrug
Yes, I know, so I guess it's something for the X-Box version.

About the "vants" discussed here: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/16586-ship-adjustments/page__st__140
I found a way to increase their draw distance as well. Put in "fVantMaxDist =" and set it to whatever value you prefer, for example the same as "fMaxDist" for the ropes which here is "20000.0", like this:
Code:
[ROPES]

; TEXTURE NAME
TextureName = sail_rope.tga

; length of segments
fSEG_LENGTH = 2.0
; rope width
fWIDTH = 0.03	// Petros: stock value is 0.025 - LDH set back from 0.05
; end conus length
fEND_LENGTH = 0.01
; ampitude
fWAVE = 0.1
; minimum coordinate change for recalculate all rope
fMaxCh = 0.1
; length of rope accord one texture
fTexHeight = 0.2
; êâàäðàò ìàêñèìàëüíîãî ðàñòîÿíèÿ ñ êîòîòðîãî âèäíû âåðåâêè
fMaxDist = 20000.0 // miklkit: increase draw distance - stock value is 5000.0
; ñêîðîñòü èçìåíåíèÿ ãëóáèíû ïðîãèáà âåðåâêè
fDeepChangeSpeed = 0.15
; ñêîðîñòü êà÷àíèÿ âåðåâêè
fRotateSpeed = 0.08
; ìèíèìàëüíîå çíà÷åíèå êîýôôèöèåíòà èñïîëüçîâàíèÿ ïðîãèáà âåðåâêè
fMinDeepMul = 1.0
; ïðåäåë èçìåíåíèÿ êîýôôèöèåíòà èñïîëüçîâàíèÿ ïðîãèáà âåðåâêè
fVarDeepMul = 0.7
; àìïëèòóäà óãëà êà÷àíèÿ âåðåâêè
fRotateAng = 0.5

[VANTS]

; TEXTURE NAME
; LDH 11Mar09
TextureName = vant_black.tga

; òîëùèíà âåðåâêè
fWidth = 0.07	// Petros: stock value is 0.07 - LDH set back from 0.1
; êîëè÷åñòâî âåðåâîê
fRopeQuant = 5

; êîîðäèíàòû òåêñòóðû ãîðèçîíòàëüíîé âåðåâêè xBeg
fHRopeXbeg = 0.5
fHRopeXend = 1.0
; êîîðäèíàòû òåêñòóðû òðåóãîëüíèêà
fTreangXbeg = 0.125
fTreangXend = 0.5
fTreangYbeg = 0.0
fTreangYend = 0.9
; êîîðäèíàòû òåêñòóðû áàëêè
fBalkYbeg = 0.9
fBalkYend = 1.0
; êîîðäèíàòû òåêñòóðû âåðòèêàëüíîé âåðåâêè
fVRopeXbeg = 0.0
fVRopeXend = 0.125

; øèðèíà âåðõíåãî òðåóãîëüíèêà
fTreangWidth = 1.2
; âûñîòà âåðõíåãî òðåóãîëüíèêà
fTreangHeight = 1.0
; âûñîòà âåðòèêàëüíîé âåðåâêè
fVRopeHeight = 1.0
; âûñîòà ãîðèçîíòàëüíîé âåðåâêè
fHRopeHeight = 1.0
; âûñîòà è øèðèíà áàëêè îòíîñèòåëüíî âûñîòû òðåóãîëüíèêà
fBalkHeight = 0.05
fBalkWidth = 1.2
; øàã äèñêðåòèçàöèè äâèæåíèÿ âàíòà
fDiscrValue = 0.01
; ìàêñèìàëüíîå èçìåíåíèå ïîëîæåíèÿ âàíòà ïðè êîòîðîì âàíò ïåðåñòàåò îòîáðàæàòüñÿ
fDisapearValue = 5.0
fVantMaxDist = 20000.0 // Baste
Now they will be drawn at a longer distance as well. :)

I thought we increased the draw distance in the modpack already? :wacko:
Or was that just the ropes and not the vants? I don't remember. :facepalm

We increased the draw distance for the ropes only, thanks to miklkit, but we were stumped on the vants.
So now, we have both. :onya

I tried that thingy for the vants. I set the ropes and vants to 50,000. I have been noticing that the vants would disappear and crew would be climbing in midair, but have not been noticing it now. so it must be working. :rolleyes:

Back