• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Leveling: Sudden Huge Amounts of XP Gained

Officers do focus on theire skill. But they Will also increase a bit in other skills ... I noticed this too so I think I will increase the level of officers you will find in the tavern a bit so theire skills will also be higher.
I'm working on making the XP you need higher, but trying to find the right paramters.
I want a function where the first derivative goes upward (when looking at it as a graph) because the amount of skill you need should always increase.
But I want the second derivative to go downward, The amount extra you need should slowly decline a bit because else it would mean to much grinding at one point.
Altough I'm very much thinking about making it a lot easier and splitting the function up in different functions which work connect to each other to get the xp flow I want.

Exponential? 1/x?
It doesn't matter if it becomes too hard to level-up at some point. In fact, that makes officers more important.
Player shouldn't be able to get up to level gazillion by himself anyway.

Exponential? 1/x?
It doesn't matter if it becomes too hard to level-up at some point. In fact, that makes officers more important.
Player shouldn't be able to get up to level gazillion by himself anyway.
Well you see the problem is the system is actually to good I think because the skill points are based off the points you need to level up.
If you are level 100 all skills should be 10. At the moment this is set to be at level 50 already because you get 2 skillpoints per level.
So the skillpoints you need are based off the experience you need to get to achieve level 50. If this XP is way to high it will be way to hard to reach a significant skill level :p.

Made some changes concerning the balance by the imput of @HellSailor .
Level increase is now more difficult (so skill increase also).
Fixed the Enc_Walker file so when you buy a skill it will work.
Also made sure the officers can be more higher level then you and they focus a bit more on theire important skills.

Interface fixes by @Pieter Boelen are also included.
Please let me know if this is better balanced already.

new version:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/sudden-huge-amounts-of-xp-gained.24829/page-6#post-513831

Last edited:
Ok, I have a bit of testing with new stuff from Levis. Some things to remark:
  • First, the amount of exp needed to level up has been increased. Now, for each new level, the amount of exp is increased by 1000. So, for that, it is nice than the older version, but still lacks of the exponential amount of exp needed in very high levels.
  • Second, the skill increase being now more difficult, I think now it is too much difficult. It takes at least like four levels to go from fencing level 1 to fencing level 2. The accuracy is all right, it is balanced. (Trying this features on a TSH campaign).
  • Third, about the officers... Now I see them with more level than me, so that is nice. But... about the level of skill of their important skills... It hasn't been redone nicely. I hired a quartermaster of level 14 (I was on level 8), and the level of commerce was at 5. And I had level 5 on commerce (This with a personal and free play).
Also, another question Levis: The percent of progress of a skill is now 1%=10%? Because now the progression hasn't got values like 72% or 55%.

@HellSailor did you take a new game or used f11? For the officers to focus more on their skill thats needed.

I will check the way you gain fencing xp and increase it a bit.

For the xp gain i indeed took a simple formula now. Each level will cost more xp to get there tough. But the increase is lineair. I can add an exponentieal part but like I said before that would also increase the skill level again.
and the game is allowed to be hard, you shouldn't be able to level to quick.
btw which difficulty are you playing on?

Very true. The more the game can be spread out, the more the player has to be creative in using different means to get skills (buying them) and hiring enough officers for support.
If it is easy to level up and gain what you need by yourself, that removes a lot of the challenge and can make the game substantially less interesting as a consequence.
It would be like playing the game with cheatmode on, which is great for testing, but makes for extremely boring gameplay.

did you take a new game or used f11?
A new game.
Yeah, I agree with that too. The only thing that I would like to be fixed first is the fencing problem.
Hell, even I think that the exp system that was implemented before these trials was working perfectly (At least for me).
And I play on Apprentice level.

Very true. The more the game can be spread out, the more the player has to be creative in using different means to get skills (buying them) and hiring enough officers for support.
Time to once again sound the cautionary note about forcing people to play the game the way some of us like instead of the way they like...
If it is easy to level up and gain what you need by yourself, that removes a lot of the challenge and can make the game substantially less interesting as a consequence.
It would be like playing the game with cheatmode on, which is great for testing, but makes for extremely boring gameplay.
On the other hand, if you level up too slowly then it really makes for extremely boring gameplay. Especially if it takes so long to get useful combat skills, which you can't get by proxy from officers, that you keep getting killed in every combat for ages.

Time to once again sound the cautionary note about forcing people to play the game the way some of us like instead of the way they like...
True. I think that is why Difficulty Level is factored in.

On the other hand, if you level up too slowly then it really makes for extremely boring gameplay. Especially if it takes so long to get useful combat skills, which you can't get by proxy from officers, that you keep getting killed in every combat for ages.
True as well. At the very least, enemies should be generated that sort-of match the player for that purpose.
That is currently the case, of course, and not very realistic though.

- Few more bug fixes to the level up system
- Increased the skillgain for fencing a bit
- (just for fun) Guards and Merchats now have skills which fit them also (going to use this later)
- Try hireing a officer in a new game and see what happens ;) (Need to fix this for early explorers, maybe @Grey Roger has a sugestion for another location)
- Added a few guards to the oranjestad port

Still todo
- Make a loadingscreen image for the oranjestadport house I added
- Check the skill update function for NPC's

Attachments

• PROGRAM_v8.zip
    471.1 KB · Views: 103
@Pieter Boelen good luck with making the new installer. I believe this is on time right :)?
Let me know if you get any errors or something. I don't get them but maybe I conflict with some of your stuff (altough I can't imagine this)

- Try hireing a officer in a new game and see what happens ;) (Need to fix this for early explorers, maybe @Grey Roger has a sugestion for another location)
Uh? Details?

@Pieter Boelen good luck with making the new installer. I believe this is on time right :)?
Working on it now. I'll probably make the installer as-is right now without trying to fix and finish much.
I've got to admit being quite tired after the past days of hard work on my job at the same time as this big PotC rewrite.
But during the holiday, I'll definitely do what I can to get it all finished and ready for public release.

Uh? Details?

http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/ingame-explanation-officer-system.25340/

Working on it now. I'll probably make the installer as-is right now without trying to fix and finish much.
I've got to admit being quite tired after the past days of hard work on my job at the same time as this big PotC rewrite.
But during the holiday, I'll definitely do what I can to get it all finished and ready for public release.

No problem, It's mostly just needed so everyone is on the same files again :).

No problem, It's mostly just needed so everyone is on the same files again :).
Very much so. We're all diverging quite quickly these days. :cheeky

BTW:
Code:
string GetRandomOfficType(bool usable)
{

}
Uh, nothing there? Is this needed?

Very much so. We're all diverging quite quickly these days. :cheeky

BTW:
Code:
string GetRandomOfficType(bool usable)
{

}
Uh, nothing there? Is this needed?

Oh remove that function :p.
I was starting to work on that but then noticed something else and forgot it XD.

Back