• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP The HMS Southampton

Okay, I´m uploading the GIMP file, so everyone who wants to have a look at it, send me a pm for the link :)

Btw, its my base 4096*2048 texture (rescaled to 2048*1024 for the pics in this thread) with 13 layers, so you may need a decent comp to work with it.

Greeting old friend, This is truly a work of art. maybe some day we will have the updated storm engine to showcase this proper, Or we may have to bite the bullet and create our own 3d engine.

Updates may come a bit slower for the next two weeks, its Oktoberfest time in bavaria :cheers:slap
Here´s what I managed to do:

1jpeg.png

I completed the windows, textured the inside of the ship and the fittings, made a new steering wheel, redid the catheads and some other suff I can`t remember right now.
Next things on my to-do list: the 12-pounders and the stern carvings.

Oh, and thanks again to Kazeite for his scale texture on the side cabin :yes

This is really good Bava, she looks beautifull and if this is the standard of your models then i look forward to any future models you release. :dance

Seconded; that's one hell of a ship! :doff

Thanks for your comments, Luke and EC. :)

Just a quick update... I recently got in contact with the author of the plans (a very nice guy, btw) my model is based on and he pointed out a couple of inaccuracies which I´ll try to fix as soon as possible. Nothing major but it´s going to take some time. :keith

Oh, and does somebody own Gardiner´s "First Frigates" here? My copy won´t arrive until the end of october and I have a couple of questions regarding the book.

Oh, and does somebody own Gardiner´s "First Frigates" here? My copy won´t arrive until the end of october and I have a couple of questions regarding the book.

There's one I don't have Bava. Are there any particular details you're looking for? I've got other good sources on English ships. "The Arming and Fitting of English ships of war 1600-1815" has really good illustrations of guns, ships boats, ladders, fittings, etc...
Another one is "The Line of Battle: The Sailing Warship 1650-1840" Very comprehensive book. All of Chapter 2 is Frigates.

And let me add that your work is fantastic BTW :onya

MK

Thanks, MK :)

Are there any particular details you're looking for?

Yup, I´d like to know what Gardiner says about gangways and skid booms. Lavery states that 'frigates were rather slower in adopting gangways and boat booms, and do not appear to have had them until the early 1800s' which is a bit off in my opinion, at least when it comes to gangways. Almost all of the contemporary frigate models I know of are featuring gangways, so another source next to Lavery and his 'The Arming and Fitting of English ships of war 1600-1815' would be nice to have. Okay, this is a rather minor detail but I´m quite pedantic. :p

Ahem...ready for release? No :wp
I´d say she´s at 50% now, both the Sphynx and the Southampton should be finished around Christmas :p

No, lost the interest in this project a long time ago.

Perhaps a better question would be: do you still have the files? And if so, would you be willing and able to upload them for another modeller to complete the ship?
Otherwise, it seems to me like a waste of a lot of time, effort, and a perfectly good model, too.

Back