• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide Treasure Quests

I got another treasure quest, an easy one again, and this time I got no treasure. This makes me 3-1 at Luck skill level 5. :bird:

None too shabby. I got a pretty cheap treasure quest myself; still have to go and find it though. I'll be interested to find if there is something there.

The treasure quests need adjusting badly. They are too common and too often have treasure.
I NEVER thought I would be saying that! o_O

I got another TQ and got treasure. That makes me 4-1 at Luck level 5. Then, no sooner had I made it back into town than some yokel sells me another one! :facepalm This is too much of a good thing. I'm rolling in treasure and it is really piling up. It's a damned nuisance I tell ya! :drunk

As it is coded now, the treasure being there depends on your OWN luck skill instead of the luck of the character who gives the quest to you.
The chance is 50% on Luck 1 and increases to 90% on a Luck skill of 10. Then the amount of treasure also depends on your luck skill.

How would you reckon it should be reworked? What would be reasonable?

Perhaps a 50/50 chance of treasure being there if you have Luck at 5? With 90% or even 100% at Luck 10, but only 10% on Luck 1?
Should the price of the map depend on the chance of the treasure being there? Should it be totally random?
What should influence the size of the treasure?

One thing I had been considering is to just pre-make all the treasures in advance.
So the size of it wouldn't depend on anything, but be randomly defined at game start or something.
And also rework things so you can find each treasure only once. But that would be quite a massive reworking and I'm not entirely sure how to go about that.
Definitely not going to do that for a while; still a lot of other more pressing matters to deal with.

Anyway, post your thoughts on how "ideal treasure quest generation" should work and hopefully I can then figure something out that resembles that. :cheeky

In PROGRAM\MAXIMUS_functions.c find:
Code:
    Calc_luck = rand(Calc_luck); // chance you may get robbed, higher luck means lower chances
    if( Calc_luck != 0 )
Replace with:
Code:
    if( Calc_luck > rand(11) ) // chance you may get robbed, higher luck means lower chances
    {
        Calc_luck = rand(Calc_luck);
That might be more reasonable.

A 50/50 chance at level 5 (average luck) sounds good to me. I had 80% luck there and the treasure quests need to be RARE. They were far too common in that game.
Oh, and nobody will ever get a Luck skill of 10. The best I have ever done was 7 or 8.

One should be able to redo treasure quests as often as possible so that there is something to do at the higher levels (above level 30).

In PROGRAM\MAXIMUS_functions.c find:
Code:
    Calc_luck = rand(Calc_luck); // chance you may get robbed, higher luck means lower chances
    if( Calc_luck != 0 )
Replace with:
Code:
    if( Calc_luck > rand(11) ) // chance you may get robbed, higher luck means lower chances
    {
That might be more reasonable.

Tried that and got an instacrash. Error log says that is the problem. :wp

Oops. It probably looks like this for you now, doesn't it?
Code:
    {
    {
Remove that last "{". :facepalm
Alternatively, extract attached to your PROGRAM folder.

One should be able to redo treasure quests as often as possible so that there is something to do at the higher levels (above level 30).
We'll keep that much as-is then. That's easier anyway. :wp

Attachments

• MAXIMUS_Functions.zip
    36.8 KB · Views: 164
I am now at 1-1 at luck level 6. There are still too many people selling treasure quests as they are being sold everywhere. I got my next quest right after finishing the last one and I'm only buying the cheap ones.

Treasure maps are being sold by the "Enc_walkers". There is a 1-in-14 or 7% chance that any of those you talk to has a treasure map to sell.
You can't get another while you already have one, but after that it is fair game.
How much should we reduce the chance? We can use the same method by which the Sneaky Traders are made less frequent.

Extract attached to PROGRAM\DIALOGS to reduce the chance to the same as the "Sneaky Traders".
If they're still too frequent, change the 80 to something less here:
Code:
                case 12:                        // treasure map
                    // further reduce the chance of these people
                    if(rand(100)<80) {
                        d.text = DLG_TEXT[279];
                        link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[280];
                        link.l1.go = "why";
                        link.l2 = DLG_TEXT[281];
                        link.l2.go = "exit_out";
                    } else {                                    // I can't talk to you right now, then randomizes again
                        d.Text = DLG_TEXT[14];
                        Link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[304];
                        Link.l1.go = "hqitemseller_busy";
                    }
                break;

Attachments

• Enc_Walker.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 162
"Good Stuff"? Is that what you call the special weapons like Stinkpots and Thief's Knifes?
Or do they ever end up selling anything else? :shock

No, they just sell the special stuff like cobblestones, sand bags, Borgiablades, ether bottles, and such.

Back