• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Unexplained game crash in Port Au Prince

tommy61157

Unofficial Pirate Potato
Staff member
QA Tester
Provisional
Storm Modder
In Port Au Prince, the port loaded up fine before when I landed, I did some things in the city, but now when I try to go to my ship or the port in port au prince, the game crashes pretty much instantly once it loads the loading screen, it's not the fast travel system I don't think at least, but I do have a question, the system file says textures can't be loaded, I have a heavy war sloop in that save that I've never seen in the build mod before and I think I may have changed the paint on it, but even so, I changed it back and I'm still having the problem, can you guys check to make sure that's all in order? Or is it another issue? I was playing the Jean Lafitte storyline (free play) in case that helps. (Note that spending time in the town doesn't help, so I doubt that some buggy ship came into port just to mess with me until I wait for it to go away) I'll keep the save in case you guys want me to do something in it to test something. Also, no error log generated with this problem.

Attachments

• system.log
    879 bytes · Views: 102
  • compile.log
    4.8 KB · Views: 106
No error log? There isn't enough in those logs to tell me anything. Did you buy that sloop in the city? Can you go back to your last good save and try again?

We need more data. :shrug

I didn't buy the sloop in that city, I had been using it for a while. And, that is actually my only save unfortunately... lol, I'm bad about keeping multiple saves, I know... Well, should I just start a new game with the Lafitte storyline and see if it happens again?

Do you know exactly what you did before the crash occurred?
I know Port au Prince was a town I did a lot of search-and-replace on to fix some errors, so perhaps it could be a left-over from that.
Can you start a new game on The Buccaneer and try the same straight away? See if it is a consistent problem or not?

I have been to Port Au Prince (Hopital) several times with no problems. The last time I was there I was making changes to the big fleut too.

Honestly, this seems like a random occurrence, I will try it with the buccaneer, but honestly, I feel like this may just be some odd random rare error...

Oh my! Now it crashes when I try to start up the storyline! No error log still... what's going on? :/

Attachments

• compile.log
    5.2 KB · Views: 105
  • system.log
    374 bytes · Views: 102
Seems to be crashing in a similar spot as on your previous issue. Try removing your "options" file. Perhaps empty your SAVE folder too.

Well, it crashed again even after doing what pieter said, but now I got an error file to go along with it.

Attachments

• compile.log
    7.2 KB · Views: 97
  • error.log
    440 bytes · Views: 107
  • system.log
    376 bytes · Views: 111
There is a problem in controls.c ?? Have you changed anything in there? It is right next to defaultcontrols.h which often does get changed when setting buttons. Try this and see if it helps.

Attachments

• controls.7z
    5.5 KB · Views: 82
That reminds me of profile-related errors. Did you try the suggestion from my previous post yet? That's the best I know to deal with those.
Also, try to keep the number of different profiles you've got to a minimum. Use the default "Player" profile as much as you can.

oh, well, I don't have a numpad, so to cheat I have to set new keys for it... should I try setting keys that are not used instead of just assigning the numpad keys to what the numbers are normally used for? ie. Numpad_4 autosaves instead of 4 (when I don't have a numpad) etc.? And Pieter, I deleted the controls file that was in the same area the engine was in and cleared my saves, I only had one save actually, lol.

Edit 1: Wait, I never edited this file, I replaced the Key_numpad_1 (for example) with Key_1 in the controls file that has the controls in quotations (Defaultcontrols.h I think), but I made sure the quotations are fine... oh well, I'll put this in and see if it fixes it. It shouldn't theoretically, because this has never caused problems before and I've been doing this for two months now...

Last edited:
hmm, still crashing, I'll post the logs here again in case they changed after I put in the new controls file. (no error log this time)

Attachments

• compile.log
    5.6 KB · Views: 101
  • system.log
    376 bytes · Views: 100
It KEEPS being at the same spot, doesn't it?

Anyway, it doesn't come recommended to assign keys that are already assigned to something else.
You can edit stuff, sure, but don't double it up. What if you restore your installation to straight Beta 3 WIP 16 without any additional changes?

I haven't been using WIP, only the Beta 2.5, I guess I'll do that and see what happens, I'll get back with you all later tonight or tomorrow about it.

Yeah, actually, I realized, I didn't double anything up, so there SHOULD have been no issue, however, I'm sure you've heard that a million times pieter when modding, LOL, I'll edit this post in 15 minutes once it all gets installed and I have a chance to test it.

Edit: Now I don't understand what's going on at all... it crashed on me and I only edited the resolution in the engine! I'm attaching the logs.

Attachments

• compile.log
    6.1 KB · Views: 104
  • error.log
    440 bytes · Views: 116
  • system.log
    376 bytes · Views: 106
Last edited:
Hey, I'm just posting this to make sure you get a notification pieter, check the previous post.

Perhaps the game doesn't support the resolution you used? I also managed to make the game crash on that in the past.
What are you trying to use?

My computer's native resolution 1366X768 which it's used for months with absolutely no issue, but, I will change it to 1024X768 (a resolution I know it supports), shouldn't make a difference though.

That's an oddball resolution that a lot of games don't support, but POTC does. I see the controls.c problem is back.

Back