• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Unexplained game crash in Port Au Prince

I checked the error logs and you're right, I didn't change anything other than the resolution though... I'm running windows 8 and running POTC as an administrator in compatibility mode for windows XP if any of that helps, this is odd though, because this literally just randomly came out of the blue, there was nothing that I changed anywhere near the time that I had this problem and had been playing this for months with no issue, look at the last logs I posted, it's literally the exact same thing, idk what is going on or what to do, any suggestions? (No, I won't rollback to a time where it did work, too much stuff I've done since then...)

(No, I won't rollback to a time where it did work, too much stuff I've done since then...)
Roll back a COPY then and use WinMerge to save your changes. That's what I do ALL the time.
(No, I don't like doing it. But there isn't much of a choice.)

I'm just worried about messing it up, I'm going to do a cleaning on my hard-drive, registry, and defrag the hard drive, and see if that works first, also, I have an idea, pieter, send me an entire clean version of the controls folder with all the controls files for beta 2.5 if you can please. It's worth a shot...

The Beta 3 WIP 17 file contains the entirety of the PROGRAM folder.

When do you think beta 3 is coming out? I may simply wait for that and see if it somehow fixes it...

If we can confirm the current Beta 3 WIP is more playable than Beta 2.5, I'd like to try to make an internal release next weekend.
And when that is confirmed working, make the actual release shortly after.

Well, I wouldn't call this issue solved, if beta 3 doesn't work, I'm going to completely uninstall the game, clean registry and temp. Let me see if other story-lines are having this issue, never thought to check that...

blah, even other story lines are messed up... mods on windows 8 tend to act funny though, I've tried putting this game in and out of compatibility mode though and it had no effect...

If it ran fine for a while and now something is messing up many storylines, then something recently got corrupted. If it didn't happen because of any changes you might have made, then the most likely cause is the hard drive got fragged. It happens to me when I forget and just run it for a while.

You guys are going to hate me, what happened was I got an update for windows which switched it from using my NVIDIA GPU card to the integrated intel graphics... Now it works just fine since I switched it back... LOL

Well, that explains a lot. Glad it is back to normal at long last! :woot

Hey, don't blame the laptop, blame the crap OS, anyways, pieter, set this to solved.

I'll blame it on "computer in general". They're stupid. Period.

Hey, don't blame the laptop, blame the crap OS, anyways, pieter, set this to solved.
Why does everyone seem to hate Windows 8 so much? I can't be the only person in the world for whom this OS has worked really well so far.
It's infinitely better than Vista, which I was stuck with for several years, so that must at least count for something. :whipa

Why does everyone seem to hate Windows 8 so much? I can't be the only person in the world for whom this OS has worked really well so far.
What I've seen of it looks rather odd to me; would require some getting used to if I'd have to use it.
Also, it seems that security is even TIGHTER than it was before, which is REALLY annoying when people have installation issues here because of it.
But otherwise I have nothing specifically against it. Yet. :shrug

It seems that the people with the problems are all running laptops. It is really rare to have a desktop user having problems.

I have used every Windows version from Windows 3.1 (1991) thru Win7 and it seems the version one would want to use depends on the hardware. The better the hardware the better the software can be. Oh, and I had no problem with Vista. I moved to Win7 to get a 64 bit OS as Win7 is an optimized Vista. I just got a new telephone and have been told it runs on Win8. o_O

The only thing about security which looks different is the Windows SmartScreen filter that warns of "potentially harmful" programs such as your oh-so-dangerous Beta 3 installer. :rolleyes:
Otherwise, the rest is the same as in Windows 7. And I haven't had any OS-related installation issues yet, remember.

It seems that the people with the problems are all running laptops. It is really rare to have a desktop user having problems.

I have used every Windows version from Windows 3.1 (1991) thru Win7 and it seems the version one would want to use depends on the hardware. The better the hardware the better the software can be. Oh, and I had no problem with Vista. I moved to Win7 to get a 64 bit OS as Win7 is an optimized Vista. I just got a new telephone and have been told it runs on Win8. o_O
A lot of people seem to have very similar hardware to mine (Intel Core i3 and i5 are pretty much the standard for new laptops, Ultrabooks and Macbooks), but again I have to say that it has served me well so far. The thing that makes this hardware look bad is a ten-year-old game that doesn't support Intel graphics. Judging the hardware on that basis clearly isn't fair, no matter which way you see it.

As for Vista, I won't go into detail, but the main issue I had with it was sluggishness.
My hardware probably didn't help (for a while I only had 1GB of RAM and suffered the Blue Screen of Death until I doubled that), but it was in its day a perfectly good machine.
Now my laptop has far better hardware, and that's clearly one reason why Win8 is working well.
I haven't quite got a Windows Phone yet, but given that my Nokia is now full of Microsoft stuff asking me to upgrade, it's only a matter of time...

Back