• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Updating the Island Models

By the way, I just visited Oranjestad in the game and realised it doesn't use a proper port location; presumably they won't be needing a fort, then?
I guess the island model just needs a small jetty added to it instead of the usual port/settlement buildings.

I also remembered Charlestown still needs a port and fort model to mark its position on Nevis. I'll deal with that as well if you want, seeing as I won't need to do much for Aruba.

By the way, I just visited Oranjestad in the game and realised it doesn't use a proper port location; presumably they won't be needing a fort, then?
I guess the island model just needs a small jetty added to it instead of the usual port/settlement buildings.
True, that. Though theoretically we could argue that the fort is a bit further away from the town.
Anyway, most important is that people can FIND the towns.

I also remembered Charlestown still needs a port and fort model to mark its position on Nevis. I'll deal with that as well if you want, seeing as I won't need to do much for Aruba.
Ah, yes! That too! :woot

Quick update: I've now added a town and fort to the Curacao island model, including accurate fort locators and an updated seabed model to match.
I just need to add the fort reload locators and then it's good to go (excluding COL files and code work). Will handle this tomorrow. :dance

That sounds absolutely great! I should be able to sort out the COL and code files; should save you some time. :doff

OK, I've uploaded the modified files, but I haven't managed to get the fort to show up in-game yet. Curacao_NEW.7z
I edited Islands_init.c accordingly, but either I've made a mistake or something else is needed. Any ideas?

I'll look into it. :doff

Edit: It is a code problem for sure. The game doesn't even care if you remove the fort model files completely. :facepalm

Last edited:
Pieter, I've looked at the new Caribbean. I would install and test the whole time in AOP2. I think this should go there too. But I ask before,
if that is OK.

You want to put Armada's version of the worldmap into CoAS? That's an interesting thought! It might make future porting of stuff from PotC>CoAS much easier.
Ultimately, it is up to him though; Armada did all the work. :shrug

Yes, exactly what I was before. I have installed the original POTC ever and it went in COAS. Then I installed the Caribbean from AOP1 in COAS,
they also worked. But you can only play area is defined.

Got the fort to appear:
WillemstadFort.jpg

Turns out that the game won't even try to draw the fort if it doesn't have the fort commander line in islands_init.c .
I made some additional adjustments to get the commander to work properly and show the flag on the fort.

Still one problem though: Fort isn't firing its cannons.

Edit: While the fort doesn't fire on me, I CAN fire back. I managed to destroy the entire fort without a single shot being fired at me.

Last edited:
The guns were registered with the correct name in the file (name_fort1_locators.gm) with the weft direction right?

Assume that the source code into POTC almost the same as the terms of the path and the type of calls in AOP2.

Both games are indeed nearly the same. I suspect it is a locator issue.
We've had it on ships before as well where cannons wouldn't fire. It's looking like the same problem here, just with a fort.

Check in the. Gm file the names of the guns. It would be 3 to 4 different gun name. The same problem I had when
German Mod (MotCS) also. I want to reduce the number of guns in the forts. After that nothing worked in the guns.
Only with the old name and fewer guns built it went.

Pieter, I've looked at the new Caribbean. I would install and test the whole time in AOP2. I think this should go there too. But I ask before,
if that is OK.
That would be fine by me, though I wonder how it would actually look. I had to rotate the CoAS World Map parts 180 degrees for it to display properly in PotC.

Both games are indeed nearly the same. I suspect it is a locator issue.
We've had it on ships before as well where cannons wouldn't fire. It's looking like the same problem here, just with a fort.
I gave the fort the same locators as the Falaise de Fleur/Martinique fort; I just changed their positions and rotation to match the new fort.
Does the Martinique fort actually work?

Then I'm not sure what's wrong. You can check the locators yourself in TOOL; they're all grouped and named correctly. :shrug

I'll be uploading the latest update with the fort included, so you can test it yourself.

Back