• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Updating the Worldmap

And it just occurred to me that doing so will probably mess up the lighting and I don't know how to make COL files for islands.
We are saved. Saved, I tell you! SAVED! :dance

Anyone ever visited Cartagena in Beta 2.5 when it was still using the Isla Muelle island model WITH the REAL Cartagena fort?
Because that fort was added from elsewhere, it didn't have lighting files. Now look:
RealCartagenaFort.jpg

SHADOWS!!!

I managed to figure out how to do lighting on ISLAND models. So now we can edit islands in Maya and still make it look good in the game!
See here for an updated Tutorial on how to do this: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/generating-location-lighting-files-col.20784
I was extremely lucky to find out how to make this work at sea; otherwise it only worked on land.

Edit: It just occurred to me, if you do end up modifying the Cartagena island model, could you also add the San Felipe fort model to it?
The default Cartagena fort from CoAS does look quite nice, but it isn't the real Cartagena fort.
I know Bartolomeu wants to keep that.

Wonderful, beautiful!!!:D
Cheers! That was a quick test with the old island model though to prove whether we can do it.
It still needs to be updated for the REAL Columbian coast.

When pirates attack the fort, it will be a real firework:whipa
So THAT's what you've got in mind. I'm sooo looking forward to adding your Cartagena Quest part into the game!
Though of course I have no clue when I might get round to playing it. That never seems to happen as much as I want it to. :facepalm

BTW: Any chance you'll be setting up Cartagena more like a "normal" town, eg. adding a tavern, shipyard, store, etc. and Fast Travel and the like?
We're making Cartagena accessible from game start now and it'd be nice to have it working as well as any of the other towns. :woot

I managed to figure out how to do lighting on ISLAND models. So now we can edit islands in Maya and still make it look good in the game!
See here for an updated Tutorial on how to do this: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/generating-location-lighting-files-col.20784
I was extremely lucky to find out how to make this work at sea; otherwise it only worked on land.
Awesome! Thanks for the tutorial, as well. :bow

Edit: It just occurred to me, if you do end up modifying the Cartagena island model, could you also add the San Felipe fort model to it?
The default Cartagena fort from CoAS does look quite nice, but it isn't the real Cartagena fort.
I know Bartolomeu wants to keep that.

I'll definitely see what I can do. Sorting out the locators will probably be a nightmare, but I do agree a more realistic fort will be worth it.

Awesome! Thanks for the tutorial, as well. :bow
Damski originally wrote that; I just updated it with the sea stuff.

I'll definitely see what I can do. Sorting out the locators will probably be a nightmare, but I do agree a more realistic fort will be worth it.
Locators for the fort, you mean? If we want the cannons to fire like a real fort, then I'm afraid you're right.
Perhaps it'd suffice for now to have the location turned around and the fort can be done for some sort of "stage 2"?
Just so you don't have to do it all right now. :facepalm

When using the Open Sea mod with this new map arriving at an island can be odd. You sail until you bump into the island in the World Map and then go to direct Sail. There is no island in sight which is ok. Then "Land Ho!" and you are right there about to ram the island!
Either the Land Ho! markers need to be moved out or the island models made smaller methinks.

I suspect that might be because various islands seem to be a fair bit closer together now.
Possibly the "land ho" checking isn't happening often enough. I saw something like that going from Petit Tabac South to Grenada.
I was hardly past Petit Tabac when on the Map Interface is was already showing pretty much AT Grenada.

Definitely necessary for them. That's what I did for Bartolomeu's VCO Cartagena town location. :yes
But for land locations, the information was already known for quite some time. Not for islands though.

However, other stuff we could add:
- Some sort of port/shore that allows you to cross the Isthmus of Panama (but to what point and purpose)
- New Mayan pyramid from CoAS (isn't that what the lakey thing is for anyway?)
- Perhaps some sort of Indian village

Regardless of what more we end up adding, this is a MASSIVE improvement over what we used to have! :bow

I think the "Lakey" thing is supposed to be Lake Tenoch - where Tenochtitlan is. ( yes - it should be far further North - but that is where they put it). I think they confused it with Lake Nicaragua. :razz

In COAS it is where Tenochtitlan is. - the seperate Inca Temple is further north up the coast and accessed from a different Beach.

:cheers

COAS_Inca_Temple.JPGCOAS_Tenochtitlan1.JPGCOAS_Tenochtitlan2.JPG

One day we are going to HAVE to add that stuff to PotC. Mayan Mysteries work wonders for pirate stories.
And I'm not overly impressed with the temple on Cozumel. :confused:

One day we are going to HAVE to add that stuff to PotC. Mayan Mysteries work wonders for pirate stories.

Indeed! That Tenochtitlan location looks quite impressive! :shock (We would have Aztec mysteries, mind)
I assume we could simply add that by having an accessible shore along the main coastline, and then have the player walk through a few jungles before they reach the lake.
We could even borrow the little World Map temple icon to mark its position once you've visited it.

Indeed! That Tenochtitlan location looks quite impressive! :shock (We would have Aztec mysteries, mind)
I'm sure YOU would run into MAYAN Mysteries trying to get the coastline to behave itself though! :rofl

I assume we could simply add that by having an accessible shore along the main coastline, and then have the player walk through a few jungles before they reach the lake.
We could even borrow the little World Map temple icon to mark its position once you've visited it.
That should work brilliantly. :yes

Indeed! That Tenochtitlan location looks quite impressive! :shock

:yes

That is what happens in COAS - land at a beach - go through a couple of sections of Jungle - then arrive at Tenochtitlan. ( the same with the Inca Temple )
In COAS it is unpopulated just 3 people outside. ( 2 natives wandering around + a quest character. - All the people you fight are inside the temples.:duel: ). So I don't think they have used the location very well considering all the work that must have gone into creating it.Since the whole area is quite large. However in their story it is supposed to be a deserted Temple city, and that is all.

:drunk

Deserted does technically make sense, I suppose. But LIVING would be more fun! Or put some puzzles out there. Or something! :whipa

I'm sure YOU would run into MAYAN Mysteries trying to get the coastline to behave itself though! :rofl

I sure hope not! :rolleyes:

By the way, I've just finished an Open Sea version of the new Archipelago map. I rescaled all the islands except Isla Mona and Petit Tabac (which almost disappeared when scaled) and the mainland.
See attached and please do test it with the latest Beta 3 WIP. Extract to RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES\Maps.

EDIT: I just had an awesome idea for using Tenochtitlan: Imagine having a quest in the Early Explorers period where you take part in the Spanish siege of the city with Cortés...

Attachments

• map_scaled.tga.tx.7z
    507.6 KB · Views: 62
Back