• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Updating the Worldmap

BTW: I've been DirectSailing a bit today without the Open Sea Mod and it definitely IS still working weird-like.
After a reload to the next island, I tend to be almost right on top of it. And according the worldmap, I tend to be already PAST it.
The worldmap position seems to "fix" itself after a while.
Just tested this WITH the Open Sea Mod (after I got it to actually WORK) and it does it there too.
Doesn't seem to do any harm though.

Ugh, I just noticed almost ALL islands have wrong COL files. So apart from the stock game islands, they're ALL glow-in-the-dark.
I'm making new ones for them now, which should go a LONG way to improving the graphics in the game.
Beats me why I never heard of that before. :shock

Edit: All done. Turns out the ONLY new island that DID look good was Isla de Muerta/Isla Mona.
All others were wrong, wrong, wrong.

I skipped on Cartagena for now though, because those files need to be redone later on anyway.

I thought I noticed some strange lighting on some of the islands before, but I wasn't too sure what was wrong at the time. Thanks for putting this right. :cheers

Cheers! It does look a lot better; much more "real", I reckon. Less plastic-ey.

Has anyone done any sailing around Cayman and Cuba lately? When I went from Worldmap to 3D Sailing Mode at the North side of Cayman, things worked fine.
But when I went to the Worldmap again in the same position, I ended up NORTH of Cuba, near Eleuthera instead. Is that just me?

didnt tested it in beta 3 but in beta 2.5 there were some strange things around cayman and cuba like this too

Ayup, that is how it is, or just maybe was. Since Spain has been hostile to me until just recently I have not been that way until just recently. I was able to sail to Santiago in a normal manner after using the world map to get close. Before that would send me to the North coast every time, but I came up from Hispaniola.
One time I went into the world map in Cayman harbor and ended up by Eleuthera. Of course I wanted to go to Aruba......

Has anyone done any sailing around Cayman and Cuba lately? When I went from Worldmap to 3D Sailing Mode at the North side of Cayman, things worked fine.
But when I went to the Worldmap again in the same position, I ended up NORTH of Cuba, near Eleuthera instead. Is that just me?

Cuba has been like that for ages - I think it has something to do with the size if the circle which the game uses for proximity to the island - whenever I went from 3D sailing around Cayman or Cuba ( in 2.5 and earlier) to World Map, I would always end up all over the place - usually on the other side of Cuba from where I started.

In WIP 3 if you sail out of Governors Harbour on Elutheria and go to the World Map - you sometimes sail sideways on The World map as you are sailing right along the Map's edge.

:rumgone

I just sailed from Eluthera to Cayman and all went well.

I direct sailed away from the island a bit then went to the world map and was close to Eleuthera. The traveled past Havana to the vicinity of Cozumel and dropped out of the world map. I could see Cozumel off to starboard and then sailed southeast to Cayman just fine.

I'm learning to avoid the mid section of Cuba because you never know where you will end up.

Right, here's an update on fixing the Cartagena mainland model. Everything is in Maya and positioned where I think it looks best, including the fort and town models.
The fort itself has had some parts remapped to either fix the UVs or, in the case of the grass, to use the same texture as the landscape.
Here's how it looks from two angles:
Cartagena_new1.jpg

Cartagena_new2.jpg
The fort is positioned on some land I flattened out specifically for it, so it can have an unobstructed field of view much like the real fort.
In gameplay terms, hopefully this means we won't see it firing at nearby mountains to hit ships behind them. ;)

Before exporting, I need to import both the "seabed" and "refl" models to turn them around. Then, provided the export goes without a hitch, I'll have the locators to deal with.

awesome! One thing about the locators: If we add more cities on the mainland in the future, I think it would make more sense to name the island locator like the city, "Cartagena" instead of "Colombia" because maybe we will have more cities in colombia and then it gets a bit confusing^^

What do you mean? Changing the island name that shows up on the World Map?
That's supposed to be "Colombia"; you'll see "Cartagena" as a separate name once you visit the location and go back to the World Map, just as with any other island. :shrug

We can change the "island" names later on if need be. That's not so hard.

Anyway, that's some BRILLIANT progress right there! If we keep this up, Beta 3 will be quite amazing with quite some new stuff!
Hopefully we can prevent having too much new bugs in the release version though. But that'll be more due to my doing than anyone else's. :wp

I wonder though... with the fort so far on that hill, would you be able to still see much of it when you're sailing around?
It just looks so tiny there. :confused:

I don't think the original fort had any locators. It'll be absolutely amazing if you manage to that that too and we could indeed use it as a REAL fort.
It does end up looking much more real!

I wonder though... with the fort so far on that hill, would you be able to still see much of it when you're sailing around?
It just looks so tiny there. :confused:
Hopefully it should be visible enough. We will need to test how easy it is to hit it from the sea, too.
The thing is, that's its real size. I think some of the stock forts, especially CoAS ones, are hugely oversized to make them easier to see and hit.
I actually made the town model larger as well (to roughly the size the CoAS town was), because it looked insanely small next to the mountain behind it.

I don't think the original fort had any locators. It'll be absolutely amazing if you manage to that that too and we could indeed use it as a REAL fort.
It does end up looking much more real!
Oh man, you're right. :facepalm I was hoping to simply move all the existing locators, but having to make them all will take longer.
Perhaps we should test it in-game without locators first, see if its position is fine gameplay-wise, and then add the locators afterwards.

Oh man, you're right. :facepalm I was hoping to simply move all the existing locators, but having to make them all will take longer.
Agh, I thought you knew that already. I don't know where that model came from, but it's NOT one of these games. And Bartolomeu only added it for the looks.
Did you ever get round to testing it back in Beta 2.5? Originally, it was even in the sea so you could sail through it. :rofl

Perhaps we should test it in-game without locators first, see if its position is fine gameplay-wise, and then add the locators afterwards.
That does sound like the best idea.
Even if you don't get those locators sorted just yet, it'll still be a huge improvement on every account just to have the model pointing the right way WITH the accurate fortress. :cheers

EDIT: Here's a quick draft of resizing and moving the islands' radii to prevent clashes where possible:
WorldMap_radii2.jpg
This layout fixes some clashes, including Isla Mona, by reducing large radii to their absolute minimum size.
Though as expected, Cuba's vast radius still clashes with four other islands, despite cutting off the southernmost tip of Cuba.
Shame it has to be circles. :facepalm
I'm afraid that Cuba/Cayman radius thing is still wreaking havoc on us.
Several people, including myself, have noticed lately that going to worldmap at Cayman tends to reload you to the North of Cuba.
Would it be possible at all the move the islands a bit further way to reduce the overlap?

Alternatively, I wonder if the worldmap code would agree to having the same island on there twice.
That'd give us two circles for Cuba, but I doubt that'll work though.

Back