• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[WIP] New textures for the ships in CoAS

Very nice mate.
rolleyes.gif

Hmm ... so do you have a lot to fix helldiver?

Allow me to explain a little bit.

I think most of the "fixing" has to do with the import process, but I'm not certain. I've done a little bit of 3D file programming but not VRML so I couldn't check. Basically what's happening is that some peices of the ship (for example the transom, the bow) have Double faces. Other peices are broken up into individual triangles, in other words all the vertices are unwelded.

So I have to essentially break up the ship and rebuild most of the parts by using the originals as a guide :(. Again I don't know if that's a result of importing from VRML (using Inez's tool to convert from GM) or if the original Modder/Artist exported the ship that way from Maya.

Since I'm rebuilding the 3D model, I'm retexturing it, redoing the UVW layout so that's it's significantly more effective. Before it had a seperate file for Bow, Gun ports/doors, and miscellaneous peices. Now all those peices are on a single texture.

I'm also putting the models on a diet. I think by the time this ship is done it'll go from 50,000 polys, to about 5000. Again most of that is because all of the faces doubled as part of the import process, I think.

Ideally, if I was to build a ship from scratch it would probably float in the neighborhood of 2000-3000 polys and use about 2 1024x1024 textures (1 for the external hull and 1 for the internal hull and deck details).

In the future I'm going to put together a guide so that ship modders can look at and get an idea of the edge flow.

Anyhow, the good news is that the Colonial Frigate shares essentially the same hull as the Boussolle, so once I'm done with one, I'm using the same hull minus the greatcabin/stern castle on the other :D

Hear is some of my latest work on the La Licorne. Since she looked so much like the Arabella, Jamaica ship and Mordont, I decided to change her up a little.

NewLa_LicorneHull3.jpg

NewLa_LicorneHull2.jpg

NewLa_LicorneHull1.jpg

Hear is my rework of the Le Enterprise.

NewLeEnterpriseHull2.jpg

NewLeEnterpriseHull1.jpg

NewLeEnterpriseHull3.jpg

enterprise2.jpg

enterprise.jpg

LeEnterpriseHull3.jpg

LeEnterpriseHull3Bow.jpg

LeEnterpriseHull3SternGalley.jpg

LeEnterpriseHull1After.jpg

LeEnterpriseHull1SternGalley.jpg

LeEnterpriseHull1Bow.jpg

LeEnterpriseHull2.jpg

LeEnterpriseHull2Bow-1.jpg

Something is wrong with this model's polygons, maybe Helldiver can help me out?

Ahoy. and Just wanted to say there is some remarkable work going on here with these very nice ship textures.

I wanted to ask what the CoMV and GOF acronymns stand for...? I know they are mod names just wondered what they stood for and what the mods are about in brief?

I joined up here some time ago but life took me away and I just now bought a copy of Age of Pirates I, and am starting to study it. I see that there is some remarkable modding going on for both it and the second title, City of Lost Ships. I am very interested as I have been a long time naval history student, and naval wargamer, and now am involved in working in a number of 3D world games and administer a group for professionals in the field. These sims look quite remarkable. I hope to visit here and get to know the mod work going on and wanted to say hello and thanks to all hands for this remarkable work.

I will carry on researching and will stand by for more information.

If i can be of any help in advising on ships and ship details of the era...or tactics and historic information, I will be happy to help out in any way I can.

Thank's for the Bravo Zulu mate.
icon_wink.gif
Ya, we gent's all sea water in r veins. Nothing like the smell of black powder and sweet sea after showing a leg.

It would give me joy if you had any nice painting, photos or actual good resolution pics of tall ships, MenOwar, and ships of the line and such. GoF stands for "Gentlemen Of Fortune." This is the mod soon to be released if we can just Iron out the few remaining bugs.
modding.gif

Welcome back abored mate.
doff.gif

all in all, not bad at all.

I especially like what you did to the "licorne", white bottom and rich brown upper part. tip top.
That big manowar there... not my kind of ship, really, but she looks like a brand new demonstration of military power of a rich nation. thumbs up. The white masts make her stand out of the crowd, as if she had pure white wings to carry her across the sea.

the first fleut, in beige, black and red... mmmh... the beige, looks a little to beige to me? But that dude on the horse, reminds me of a "prince wilhelm" of some sort. That piece of texture is on the right place. looks dutch to boot.
Overall, your fleuts, spartanic as they may look, have the absolutely tight textures for somple cargohaulers, i guess. (spntaneous wish: removing some of the central cannons would meke them perfect trade fleuts, - no?)

NewFleutOfWarDeckview.jpg

--> that handle on the door, in the center of the picture is a good one. details like that are what makes your textures great.
further down: the all brown fleut: that door between the cannons, mid-height of the ship... goooood :) me like. reminds me of the SOTS somehow.
However, for the average sailor, the door is "a little litttle", more like a crawl-through than a true door?

inteceptor:
the red brown textures, that is perfect to me. small, no gold, yet properly painted with taste.
can i order one like that? 15k pieces of eight? pleaseplease? 20x 20 lbs cannons and 300 crew... :)
VERY good work on the bow section, the ornaments look really nice!

enterprise:
having her in CMV 3,2, she shows a series of "boring" because similar black and whiite shemes, with minor differences.
teh brwn-white-beige colors youchose to dress her in are pretty, make her look good but not flashy.
the "original" paint job with the lively colors aint my kind of thing, but always welcome because you took the colors off the real deal.

Glad to hear that the new mod Is on the way,once its out I will start to make new face textures for the characters I assume the texture format will be the same,I have found a work around for doing face textures, I should have thought of it earlier,the way to do it is to to use the warp effect in psp 9 you can do this for the difficult parts of the side of the face although this only applies when using real photos from the web because the picture is not flat like the Coas pictures,what has to be done is warp the face photo from the web to match the 2d Coas picture making it ready to wrap around the model,the front of the face should not be warped as this will cause loss of detail or blurring,by doing this one can escape the effects of repeating patterns caused by using the clone brush,detail can be put back on to the side of the face after the warp tool has been used this is done with the clone brush using low levels of opacity until the desired result is achieved,So thats how to get famous people or yourself in to Coas hope this helps.

Very nice work indeed and thanks for the welcome in.

I will gather some pictures, i have them from all eras but I am guessing you want them from the era from these games....., there are some replica ships that have been built and sailed but many of them contain some historic differences from the originals but there are excellent paintings and drawings to draw from and I also make studies using 3D digital models so when I can clear my "desk" a bit, i will stow some nice piccys here abouts. that new mod sounds quite interesting, i will keep a weather eye out for signals. :onya

here are a few teasers by one of my favorite naval artists: Geof Hunt:

hmsbellona.jpg

hmsworchesterhunt.jpg

some of the best sail ship paintings are from the period about 50-100 years after the classic "pirate" era..or more.. but we can find some i am sure by digging. My own naval paintings were mostly more modern tho i did do one from the right time..but i dont think i have a picture of it.

here is a zip of some more:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20287446/Sail+Ships+Pics.zip

Interestingly enough, many of the active pirates used smaller ships, feluca or lanteen rigged....tho many of them did "upgrade" to larger ships when they could ..

onthehighseas.jpg

re historic real photos, I got to know a very interesting gentleman years ago when I was a young art student at Oxford named Allan Villers who had sailed in some of the last active tall ships when he was a lad....and he took his camera with him they are some of the best actual sail photos, i will dig about for some more of them:

alanvillierslookingback.jpg

this was a remarkable shot taken from the bowsprit of the Palma

omgomgomgomgomg ad infinitum
that is some truly hot shi t/p
how beautiful and majestic is THAT? Thanks for the tip! gotsome more names to google?

if things go well, and i am aboard of hermione in 2014, when she sails for the states, i hope i can bring some pictures back
http://www.hermione.com/
already took contact and will visit them soon. if i can secure a spot aboard, the camera will come aboard too.

I have heard of that remarkable project, what a beautiful ship she will be and what a remarkable chance you will have if you said aboard her. Thanks for sharing that link I shall bookmark and follow her progress. I am glad the project was able to find the skilled hands to carry out the work. :onya

Back