• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A second version of the USS Enterprise

Well at least that's sorted. Now you can work on the trial and error part. :dance

Ok done. That wasn't that hard. What's the next step?
keith.gif

Right, now you need to add the locators to mast1 and 3, which just requires a little more work, plus more trial and error.

Open mast1 in TOOL, and access the locators list like before.
Scroll down to the bottom, where you'll see an asterisk and a blank row. Now, enter the following details under the appropriate columns:

Locator Name: rey_a1
Locator Group: geometry
PositionX: 0
PositionY: 3
PositionZ: 6

For everything else, such as XX, XY, etc, just continue the pattern of the other locators. The Y and Z coordinates I gave you are a rough guess to start you off.
Now, apply changes and save as before. Check that the new locator appears in GM Viewer. Modify the coordinates in TOOL if you need to.

Once that's done, open mast3 in TOOL and access the locators list. Scroll to the bottom and add the new details for rey_a3, b3 and c3, again using rough estimates of their positions.
Again, use the diagram as a guide, and check your positioning in GM Viewer (remember rey_a3 is the lowest yard, and rey_c3 is the highest).

If that's all done without problems, then you can finally test the ship in-game! It might help if you can post a screenie so I can see what needs doing next.

OMG I suck. haha
mybad.gif
What happened? I did everything just like you told me.
dunno.gif

ENGINE 2011-08-27 16-35-08-67.jpg

[attachment=6998:moddingNGINE 2011-08-27 16-34-46-45.jpg]

[attachment=6999:moddingNGINE 2011-08-27 16-34-38-68.jpg]

Well first off, it looks like either I've given you very bad instructions, or the model isn't using your modified masts, and is still using the original ones.
Can you confirm that the masts being used are the ones you modified (e.g. the old ones have _1 added to them)?

If so, then could you upload a screenie of the locator screen of mast3 in TOOL?

Oh, one other thing, the ropes and sails will look weird to begin with. They will be modified once we know you've got the yards in the right places.
And I think one thing I DID forget to tell you was that you need to rename the original 'rey_a3' locator in mast3 to 'rey_d3', otherwise there will be duplicates.

Ok I figured out what I did wrong. Hmmm. It's still not right, but I think I might be able to figure this out on my own . . .
william.gif

[attachment=7000:moddingNGINE 2011-08-27 16-51-40-25.jpg]

Aha, that looks more like it! Yeah, the last part of my previous post should sort out the spanker sail. :yes

Here we go. Looks right now. I think I might bring that middle yard on mast 2 down a little.

ENGINE 2011-08-27 17-35-40-64.jpg

Looks fine till you unfurl the sails . . . Ugh. Dammit.
modding.gif

ENGINE 2011-08-27 17-35-56-81.jpg

It looks like now you are going to have to learn the ropes! :rolleyes:

I have never had a ship look quite that bad at the start. You have a lot of sorting out to do. The only rule is that if 2 ropes have the same name they will connect. It doesn't matter if one is on the bowsprit and the other is on the spanker.

I suggest starting at the bowsprit and make every rope there start with the number "1". For mast 2 make every rope start with "2". Mast3 is "3" and so on. That goes for their sails too.

The sails hanging down in the water means that they are not connected to the hull. It's just a matter of finding the ropes on the bottom of the "a" sails and renaming the rope ends on the hull to match.

It looks like now you are going to have to learn the ropes! :rolleyes:
Har, har, very funny. :urgh

He's right though, it's ropes and sails next. Here's some ground rules:
  1. Every rope must have a beginning and an end, just like in reality. These are represented by the locator names 'ropeb#' and 'ropee#'. The numbers (#) must match for the rope to appear in-game.
  2. Rope locators are always in the locator group named after the model they're attached to (e.g mast1, rey_a1, hull, etc). The only exception is for ropes attached to sails, which are then part of the sail locators' group.
  3. As Hylie said, rope beginnings and ends can be on different models on the same ship, and still link up in-game, as long as the number matches.
  4. Every rope must use a unique number, but this can be pretty much anything.
When it comes to sails, all you need to know is how the square sails work.
There are four locators, one for each corner, arranged like this:

Sail2-----------------------------Sail1
----------------------------------------
Sail3-----------------------------Sail4

The lower locators, sail3 and sail4, always need ropes attached to them, and the other ends of the ropes either link to the yard below (if there is one) or the hull.
The locator group for square sails is 'saild', usually without a number. This is because you don't use more than one sail per yard.

So, the idea is, you need to start mixing and matching the ropes! Hylie's suggestion of organising them depending on the masts would be good, as long as you keep the numbers the same for the other ends.
The lower sail locators need moving around (as you can tell by what they currently do!), so that you can get the right shape out of them.
And as you suggested, the yards may also need to be shifted for that to work.

See if you can make a start, and if you need more guidance, just ask. If anything, Hylie's got more experience with this, so I'm sure he can help you out. :cheers

Just so you don't feel like it's overwhelming, here is a reference pic I took of La Licorne after my first attempt at cleaning it up. Notice how one rope goes from a jib sail back to the lateen.

Any chance of getting that new US texture at least ingame so the current bare wood enterprise can be used by other nations?

Thanks for reminding me; I'd completely forgotten about it! I'll upload it later and we'll see what to do with it.

It's just for general use until the brig version is finished, I guess.

Just a quick note if you're up for it-- You don't quite have a true brig yet- it could technically still be called a tops'l schooner. To be considered a brig, it needs proper t'gallant masts, and the main yard should be moved to just below the intersection of the mainmast proper and maintopmast. The main gaff should be just below the yard.

Just a quick note if you're up for it-- You don't quite have a true brig yet- it could technically still be called a tops'l schooner. To be considered a brig, it needs proper t'gallant masts, and the main yard should be moved to just below the intersection of the mainmast proper and maintopmast. The main gaff should be just below the yard.

I'm gonna smack you. lol
slap.gif

Well make up a diagram or something for me. I wasn't finished making the last adjustments.
dunno.gif

Back