• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Advanced Interface and Flags Code (and much more)

B15 installed fine and runs fine so far with just a few bugs.

1) The crew is still wandering all over the deck during the tutorial, getting in the way of things and causing me to only get to melee level 3. Note I am striking a crewman.
POTC B15 tutorial crew.jpg

2) The little icons in the corner of the screen and also the ones across the bottom of the screen are taller than they are wide. This is new.
POTC B15 icon land.jpgPOTC B15 icon sea.jpg

this update was to **** ^ ^
Are you sure you have it installed correctly? I know it isn't quite perfect yet, but those things you mention should be working.
Perhaps you should make a complete reinstall?
First install Beta 2.5 as per the instructions:
CRUCIAL INSTALLATION TIPS:

1. You MUST install this on top of the unmodified stock game
Pirates of the Caribbean, released in 2003 by Akella.
The mod is NOT a standalone game!

2. You MUST install Build 14 Beta 2.1 Full first!!!
3. Allow the installer to run RunMe.bat upon completion
- DON'T install the game to Program Files,
otherwise Windows prevents it from installing correctly
Install to, for example, C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean
If that works, I'd recommend deleting your PROGRAM and RESOURCE\INI folders and your "options" file in your main game folder.
Then extract Beta 3 WIP 15 on top. Test between each step to make sure things don't get messed up.

1) The crew is still wandering all over the deck during the tutorial, getting in the way of things and causing me to only get to melee level 3. Note I am striking a crewman.
Indeed, you're right. Just checked myself. I've made a note on the To-Do list.
Also, I somehow got a Mediocre Cutlass at the beginning of the game and was doing 30-40 damage with each hit during the tutorial.
I was up to a fencing skill of 7(!) and character level of 4 in no time at all. That seems a bit overly quick.
And that was as player type "Merchant", so it's not like I get a fencing bonus or anything. :shock

2) The little icons in the corner of the screen and also the ones across the bottom of the screen are taller than they are wide. This is new.
That's what I thought at first too, but that seems to be an optical illusion or something. We got SO used to the icons being squashed before, that we find them looking wrong when they actually ARE square.
See these two pictures: I used Paint to draw perfect squares on top of the icons and they match perfectly. So they ARE square. :eek:
POTC B15 icon land.jpg POTC B15 icon sea.jpg

:ahoy

I downloaded WIP 15, game loaded and started fine. I noticed the change the flag dialogue is missing when you talk to your crew. I presume that is intentional and we have a new system for flags. Is that correct and can we change the personal and pirate flags or not?

This should answer your question:
Code:
  . Different Flags code completely rewritten by Pirate_KK
    > Changing flag DURING the game through your crew DISABLED as it doesn't work with the new system
      [WIP: Add this functionality in the Nation Relations Interface]
So at the moment, you should select your flag before you start the game in the Select Storyline Interface.
Changing your flag afterwards is theoretically possible, but the code hasn't been updated for that yet.

OK good thanks. I am noticing more frequent freezes and CTDs.

Also some of the brigands in the jungle appear to have now blades in them or in their hands but when you engage them you get the fencing sounds and you are clearly hurt by the blades.

Those blades are related to a very nasty problem I am in the process of restoring to its Beta 2.5 state.
I might actually manage it today; very close....

Looks like I managed to restore the old initModels.c system, which seems to have fixed the tailor shop CTD.
I also restored the old armor code for now, which restored the weapons from showing on character models too.

Unfortunate side-effect though is that you now get all the armor models in the Select Storyline interface again.
That's a bit excessive, so we're going to have to try to fix the new code to no longer cause troubles.

well, better than CTD's ;) Is it possible to add this nice select-character-interface to the tailor-shop, too? We only would need to restrict the nationality-select-button. Would look really nice and would remove this annoying spacebar-hitting until you finally found the right outfit from the tailor^^

Would admittedly be nice, but I don't know how. Probably not overly easy. And I'd want to restore personal/pirate flag selection first when we're going to play with interfaces.

Also, I have NO idea if the CTDs are fixed yet. I'll put a test-pack together in a bit.

was playing the game normally, when I decided to go to the port of Tortuga, I got it and my game crashed. Error.log appeared.

Attachments

• error.log
    1.6 KB · Views: 87
I actually very much like the new pre-game interface.

It sounds like you are on apprentice level to be getting a level 7 melee in the tutorial. I accidentally did that in my beta 12 install and am now at melee 9 and can take on 3 opponents at once. I feel like Superman! :dance

EDIT: Those errors are all seadogs related. That is bad news.

I kept as much of Pirate_KK's changed models code as I could, but restored everything else to its Beta 2.5 state. See attached.
Not sure if this has any other unwanted side-effects though, so it needs to be tested.
Let me know if any model-related errors show up in the log files or if you see wrong-period soldiers or weapon-less characters that DO fight or anything similar.
Also, the tailor shops should work properly again. Let me know if they don't.

The armor code is back to Beta 2.5 state too. Eventually I'll try to fix up Pirate_KK's version of it.

was playing the game normally, when I decided to go to the port of Tortuga, I got it and my game crashed. Error.log appeared.
the same errors I get when my game crashes in tortuga... something's not right there...
Yep, I noticed it too. It *might* be related to the models issues. Extract attached to your main game folder, then start a new game. See if it behaves better then. :doff

It sounds like you are on apprentice level to be getting a level 7 melee in the tutorial. I accidentally did that in my beta 12 install and am now at melee 9 and can take on 3 opponents at once. I feel like Superman! :dance
Indeed it was Apprentice level.

Just out of curiosity did Pirate_KK ever build a DX9 module for POTC? The reason I ask is AMD and NVidia are supporting DX8 less and less and I am having more and more trouble getting POTC to run smoothly.

report: Tailor shop does no longer cause CTD, after the first boarding: all had weapons but some of my crewmen didn't attack but got attacked by my other crewmen :D

I have noticed a couple of things in the sound cues. We are back to getting the verbal cues when your pocket is picked and you get no sound cues when you pay for a room in the tavern.

Just out of curiosity did Pirate_KK ever build a DX9 module for POTC? The reason I ask is AMD and NVidia are supporting DX8 less and less and I am having more and more trouble getting POTC to run smoothly.
No, he didn't. He only ever tried it for the AoP 2 source code anyway.

but some of my crewmen didn't attack but got attacked by my other crewmen :D
Is that new? It IS weird! :shock

We are back to getting the verbal cues when your pocket is picked
That sound effect depends on the difficulty level. You do get the sound on Apprentice and Journeyman, but not on Adventurer and Swashbuckler.

you get no sound cues when you pay for a room in the tavern.
I just tested at Bonaire with a 24 hour wait and I got the sound just fine.
Where are you not getting it? Perhaps one of the dialog files isn't correct?

Back