• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Beta 1

yeah, i noticed. it's why i turn the damage mod off. i do have item qualities turned on though, for now. i do think that those unarmed guys eventually escape out of the area though, but i'm not sure.

On the Advanced Options, I really have nothing to say. The stuff I change is there and a lot of the stuff I don't change is gone.

I have noticed that there are a lot of broken swords now. Did you know that when your opponent breaks his sword on you he turns and runs away? :ixi And that when you chase him down and kill him you get negative points for striking an unarmed man? :rumgone

Sounds about right - IF you want to be a 'pirate' type you got to get your negative rep from somewhere :yes I always play with the damage mod on, gives me an on-going expense of repairs to my Officer and my own weapons.

@Pieter, i haven't tried the work-in-progress patch yet with the new advanced options!!(been tweaking XP given out in various files!) I've downloaded it and will give it a run over the weekend :sail

And in terms of copying the Pirates of the Caribbean game folder, to switch in and out to carry on a previous game etc, it's currently 8.45GB with the build mod!!!

Sometimes they should stand and fight, in which case they wouldn't be unarmed.
When they run away, you've already won and there's no need to continue fighting.
Quest characters that must be killed shouldn't ever run away and they'll also never run away on boardings.

The amount of broken swords shouldn't have changed; I didn't touch the chance values for that at all.
Might just be luck. :shrug

Just a mention about a couple of things i've brought up about the Build 14. Keep in mind i havent had older installs on my system for a long while(Build mod 12 the last), and this time i had installed from scratch Build 14 beta full plus beta patch 5(then later 6, and now on 7).

Remember the lack of title music thing? That was on the default Build 14 full + patch 5 install, then later with patch 6. Now since using just those files, i've been downloading other fixes and files that we have been working on and Pieter is compiling etc, and during that process i seem to have recieved something that fixed the title screen music bug.

I've also, around the same time, noticed the sound of the sea against the hull for the first time since installing the Build mod 14(it's that very distinct rythmic 'lapping' sound), which was completely lacking on the previous install.

So i'm wondering if in the current Build 14 beta full mod and the patch 5 and patch 6, there might be some files that are changed, and that later after downloading and installing the other stuff has now been set to work properly again? something like that? Anyone else recently done a clean re-install(so cleaned out ALL the old remnents of files) with the Build Mod beta 14 full and the Patches 5 and 6? Do you get the game title music replaying(i believe it did once, then if you adjusted anything in the menu it would forever remain silent), and the distinct waves against the hull lapping sounds when at sea in 3D mode?

Methinks you just had a buggy install before. I have always had those things. Go to the MODDB and watch some of my old videos and you can clearly hear the water.

hmm yeah possible. I've now got less water lapping sounds compared to yesterday, just to add to the weirdness ;) I do still however get the title music all the time though. Anyway a small if odd concern.

I have another i just saw now. Using Build Mod 14 full + patch 5+patch6+patch 7. I tried sailing in direct sail from the begining of the game, destination La Grenade. Normally i go into map navigation mode as soon as possible to ensure the 'Oxbay' cut scene plays. Anyway this time i decided to sail as normal in the direct sailing mode(normal time, no speed up) and see what happend. As soon as i got the 'land ho!' message for my arrival in La Grenade's waters the cut scene played, so problem there - it works in direct sail also.

But on loading back into the direct sailing mode after the cut scene my 'personal flag' on my starting Lugger had changed from the Pirates Ahoy! one(i set that in standards.c file: "sl.(sn).start.Flags.Personal = 5;") to one with the golden lion? a change to british and back to personal flag restored my Pirates Ahoy! flag. weird.

Oh yeah, the cut scene does cut in on your first "land ho!". I forgot to mention that a while ago.

Ayup. The flag on your ship does sometimes change on its own. You found the fix tho.

That IS weird on your personal flag. I can almost understand getting a flag from another nation/ship, but not a DIFFERENT personal flag than your own.
Does this ALWAYS happen? Also, I didn't even know we HAD a PiratesAhoy! flag. Which seems like something maybe we should add. :razz

Flag selection related discussion split to it's own thread: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/17770-personal-and-pirate-flag-selection

Pieter: A short while ago you posted a possible fix to the quest group ctd bug. I installed it to another install but never got to the point where it might make a difference. No I didn't save it. :facepalm Now the game I'm playing is getting close to the point where it would work, but I can't find that little doodad. Would you know where it is?

Gentlemen, great to see progress continues. Installing now...do you do the Build plus Patch 6? or do we need to do all the patches in order?

I saw Patch 7 mentioned but don't see it on the release list yet..so i figured it was still in Alpha?

Thanks again for the great work on this project, many thanks.

The main thing to remember when installing is that when installing Build 14 Beta 1 full DO NOT install ENB or Swiftshader and also do not install in program files.

This post earlier in this thread will give you all of the information you need to know. http://forum.pirates...post__p__394024

You can install patch 7 WIP if you want. It is in this thread. It seems to work ok and has some new features, but can not be considered finished.

If you have any other questions, please ask away. :cheers

OK thanks very much, will study that thread and carry on.

And thanks re Version 7, will try that too.

UPDATE: ok, i had read that..... it did not say anything about not installing in program files? I have the game installed as per usual but have not added any mods. I saw we install the Build mod and then run the 6 patch but can you tell me what you meant by not installing in program files? thanks

hello CrisGer :)

As most people now have vista or win7 as their OS it is not recomened that they install it in the default ...\PROGRAM FILES\ folder that windows like to set up for you, the issue is that PotC being an old game has issue with permissions on the newer(post XP) OS, so it is important to install to a different named directory(the game and the mod btw), say C:\GAMES\ or something like that. All the info you need on the smoothest installation is here in the faq thread:

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/14915-build-mod-and-forum-faq/

go down to the second post and Pieter pretty much covers all the main issues you will get during installation(and this is where most people get themselves in a mess! I know i did on a number of occasions!).

Oh Ok Black Bart....thank you for that.

I use XP and always will :) I study and research so many older games that I plan to stay with XP for the foreseeable future. So I expect I will be ok but i will read thru that info very carefully thanks again..i guessed it might involve Windows 7..so thanks for clearing that up. Much appreciated.....and you can just call me Cris, the CrisGer started years ago when I did not know about Avatar names and just used my first and last names...and now i am stuck with it, ....:) but thanks again.

Cris

no worries Cris(BB is good shorthand for me btw), and enjoy your time here trying to help out in the project, simply playing the game and reporting the errors or problems you find is a good first step in the process of making the game even better :keith

Pieter: A short while ago you posted a possible fix to the quest group ctd bug. I installed it to another install but never got to the point where it might make a difference. No I didn't save it. :facepalm Now the game I'm playing is getting close to the point where it would work, but I can't find that little doodad. Would you know where it is?
Right here: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php?app=tracker&showissue=604&view=findpost&p=3623

OK BB thanks, and I will lend a hand once i learn my way around things, plan to play thu all the working quests first and learn the ropes. thanks again for huge effort in all of this. Great work indeed.

Oh Ok Black Bart....thank you for that.

I use XP and always will :) I study and research so many older games that I plan to stay with XP for the foreseeable future. So I expect I will be ok but i will read thru that info very carefully thanks again..i guessed it might involve Windows 7..so thanks for clearing that up. Much appreciated.....and you can just call me Cris, the CrisGer started years ago when I did not know about Avatar names and just used my first and last names...and now i am stuck with it, ....:) but thanks again.

Cris

You use XP? No one around here uses it anymore and that is a problem. TOOL tends to corrupt files when saving them in other systems. I've hit the wall in one project because of it. If TOOL works properly for you, you will have a career here.

Back