• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 2.5 Internal Release Available!

Just tried to start a game on the latest beta as Woodes Rogers, and it seemed to have quite a few issues :(

There was no strafe animation, although that's not the end of the world, but also when I got on the original island, I pressed space when an eye appeared top right, and I teleported to further in on the island, then I couldn't move, so I tried strafing, and I could strafe through hills etc :/

Since I'm just wanting to play it a bit since it's been so long, I think I'll still to 2.3 for now :p

Indeed it is. Since Arcade Mode doesn't require you to have a compass equipped for the On-Sea Data display and doesn't require a sextant and chronometer
for showing your position on the map, it seemed logical to not require a clock for the time display either.
If there is anything about the current realism and settings set-up that you're not happy with, be sure to let me know though.
We can always change things further so that everyone can be happy with the way we have it. :yes

The list in the opening post was updated, but I might have missed out on a few things.

Well, since you asked.. even though I play arcade mode, I liked that requirement to have clock and compass equipped.

Now about these new treasure quests.

I took a treasure quest to Cuba. When got to the location I was greeted by a French second rate who was hostile even though I have take no hostile action against any French ship. ( I do have an English Letter of Marque. )

Found the treasure although there was an Easter egg there as well. Dug with my spade and then .... the chest was empty.

So is the what is supposed to happen? Chests empty sometime? Big Honking Man of War says hello?

Found another issue:

There are Store-Merchants that seem to be bugged. I can not sell any gear to them, becaus ethey do not have any (or very few) money. But in their stock, they have about 6,000,000. I don't think it is intentional them being wealthy in their stock and almost bancrupt when selling gear, hm?
This is nothing new, I remember having seen such before.

I will test my first treasure map now!

:ahoy Skyworm,

Sometimes merchants do in fact have millions to pay for cargo, and 0 for gear. Street vendors also have 0 for gear sometimes. Think of it as they had a busy day buying from poor starving pirates and need to replenish their cash/gold. Sleep over night or two and go back the next day and they will have cash for gear.

:cheers

Just tried to start a game on the latest beta as Woodes Rogers, and it seemed to have quite a few issues :(
I replied to that in your own thread. :doff

Well, since you asked.. even though I play arcade mode, I liked that requirement to have clock and compass equipped.
Perhaps we can group ALL item requirements together into one setting and have that turned OFF by default in Arcade, but possible to turn on.

I took a treasure quest to Cuba. When got to the location I was greeted by a French second rate who was hostile even though I have take no hostile action against any French ship. ( I do have an English Letter of Marque. )
What is your Luck skill? There is code in place to put an enemy ship at the destination island. But it should always be a pirate.
Also, since it re-uses the Governor Pirate Hunting quest code, the ship selected should also match fairly reasonably against your own.
So I'm wondering if the ship you encountered was the quest-ship. What flag were you flying? And is that nation hostile to France?

Found the treasure although there was an Easter egg there as well. Dug with my spade and then .... the chest was empty.
There is always a chance that the guy swindled you. Especially if you have a low Luck skill.
When I was testing, I was definitely finding lots of loot as well. Just not always.

Sometimes merchants do in fact have millions to pay for cargo, and 0 for gear. Street vendors also have 0 for gear sometimes. Think of it as they had a busy day buying from poor starving pirates and need to replenish their cash/gold. Sleep over night or two and go back the next day and they will have cash for gear.
That's a new one. At least: First time I hear of it. Especially on merchants, you'd expect them to use the SAME money for items and goods.
Though I'm not sure how that is set up in the code. When they DO have 0 gold for gear, is that because you already sold a lot to them before?
Or is it just random? Any chance it could be economy-related? Eg. that town has recently had a run of bad luck?

Arrr ... thanks Jason for the explanation. I thought it was a bug, because it does't look logical to me. Why shall he have money to buy some stuff, but not have money to buy other stuff? :rumgone

Well now I find my first pirate treasure (in this game)! :treasure:

When I approached the island (Isla Juana) I was immediately attacked by a pirate sloop. Bad idea, poor guys were sunk in me Fast galleons gunfire! :pirate41:

When I moored at the designated bay, I was attacked by a group of several pirates. Quite a nasty fight, had to try twice before I survived.
Found the spot after some searching, and had to dig out ... dig deeper ... dig even deeper ... to find that chest.
Was loaded with loads of gems and precious things and 3900 gold.

A small bug I can report ... when I first used that "take all" button on the gold, it did not add to me 300,000 gold, but replaced it, which is not intended I hope.
On 2nd try it worked betterm this time I transferred a single coin from me to the chest, and then took it all from the chest, which worked.

All in all, I think I like it.

Do I understand that there is a treasure quest linked to any of the islands, and that one can find any treasure only once? I think so because the "Isla Juana treasure quest" is now as solved in my questlog.

Anyway, very fine work Pieter! :cheers

There are 11 different Treasure Quests, some on the same island. Several islands don't have any. Pirates don't evenly distribute their treasure, you know? :cheeky
In fact, you CAN get the same Treasure Quests again. They should even work properly again. Those pesky pirates just KEEP on hiding MORE plunder!

I've never seen that "gold replacing" effect. Definitely always ADDED to my money when I tried. And I tried a lot recently.
Are you sure you didn't accidentally press the "Exchange" button in the interface instead of the "Take All" one?
There IS a button that does that. But it is the other button. :facepalm

So how do you like the digging I added? I was inspired by some code that Couchcaptain Charles added for the Haunted Maltese Knight Abbey.
That way, you still have to put in some effort. But not too much. Just press the button a few times and it'll work.
You should never need to dig more than 6 times anyway. And you do get some Luck for it too.

That's a new one. At least: First time I hear of it. Especially on merchants, you'd expect them to use the SAME money for items and goods.
Though I'm not sure how that is set up in the code. When they DO have 0 gold for gear, is that because you already sold a lot to them before?

Nay, happened on my first visit at that island.

Or is it just random? Any chance it could be economy-related? Eg. that town has recently had a run of bad luck?

Nay, this town did not appear in the rumors list. Also, the merchant was wealthy in term,s of ship stuff, but poor in terms of items stuff. Economy related would affected both, or not?

Cheers,

There are 11 different Treasure Quests, some on the same island. Several islands don't have any. Pirates don't evenly distribute their treasure, you know? :cheeky
In fact, you CAN get the same Treasure Quests again. They should even work properly again. Those pesky pirates just KEEP on hiding MORE plunder!
Definitely cool stuff! :aar

I've never seen that "gold replacing" effect. Definitely always ADDED to my money when I tried. And I tried a lot recently.
Are you sure you didn't accidentally press the "Exchange" button in the interface instead of the "Take All" one?
There IS a button that does that. But it is the other button. :facepalm

I just tried to recreate the error, but did not succeed. So most likely, you are right and I accidentally hit the wrong button. Not likely, for I use these buttons anytime I plunder a corpse, which is very often, and usually I don't mix them, but it is possible.

So how do you like the digging I added? I was inspired by some code that Couchcaptain Charles added for the Haunted Maltese Knight Abbey.
That way, you still have to put in some effort. But not too much. Just press the button a few times and it'll work.
You should never need to dig more than 6 times anyway. And you do get some Luck for it too.

I like it very much. That's some cool cliché-pirate stuff I like.

My luck skill is nine, I am sure the ship was a pirate because it had a pirate crew. Frankly it was on me and boarded me so fast that I didn't see a flag. It had a French name a French captain. I was flying my personal ensign and at the time that flag was neutral to France.

I have since done another treasure quest and that worked fine. I really like the way this is working. :dance

The traders have always had separate and different funds for cargo and personal items.

And here is a new one as in never happened before (and I hope this isn't permanent. I divided the plunder and it cleaned my person inventory except for 7 grenades. It took blades, pistols, tools, books and medicines I had accumulated over 104 days. :nogood

I like it very much. That's some cool cliché-pirate stuff I like.
Cheers! I love pirate cliché's; they're SO much fun! What is a good Treasure Hunt without an "X Marks the Spot" and some good old-fashioned digging?
Of course some of the treasures DON'T require digging; we've got a bit of variety in them. :cheeky

My luck skill is nine, I am sure the ship was a pirate because it had a pirate crew. Frankly it was on me and boarded me so fast that I didn't see a flag. It had a French name a French captain. I was flying my personal ensign and at the time that flag was neutral to France.
Ah, then it probably WAS the quest ship. The way the code works is that it first generates the ship and changes it into a pirate only at the last minute.
So it is very possible for everything else to be from another nationality. You can tell the real nationality from the flag though.

And here is a new one as in never happened before (and I hope this isn't permanent. I divided the plunder and it cleaned my person inventory except for 7 grenades. It took blades, pistols, tools, books and medicines I had accumulated over 104 days. :nogood
Which storyline do you generally play? I added the "DPFader" code back into the quests_common.c file where it belongs so that it works in ALL storylines and not just the Standard one.
That code is intended to reset things when you Divide the Plunder for the start of your new expedition.
But I can find no reference to it actually touching your personal items.
You could put your stuff into your ship's chest beforehand, of course, but that is more a workaround than a solution. :facepalm

One thing about this pirate ship attacking in the treasure quest:

It apears very close to my ship when you get that "land ho" message. It is already in firing range. Is it possible to increase the distance a bit?
The very reason why I plike playing in open seas is that I don't like thse surprise attacks. We're in the age of sails, where one sees another ship coming eraly, well .. if not that guy in the crow's nest is sleeping or drunk ... :drunk:whipa

Not sure how to move that pirate ship further out. Because he's a quest pirate, he's always generated near you. :facepalm

:ahoy

Got a few problems with the mod :unsure
First off I installed both 2.1 and 2.3, the game started up just fine but as soon as I started a new game with Horatio I found myself floating through the Naval Base when I pressed either A or D. Second when I was on my way with the first mission about resupplying I met enemy ships, the weird things was that their hull, crew and sail health did not display - don't know if this is a part of the mod. First I thought it was regular bugs so I went on installing this patch in hope of fixing it. Now all I get is messed up menu's and black backgrounds. I did what you said and deleted both the Program and Resource folders and then installed the patch.

Please help :(

First off I installed both 2.1 and 2.3, the game started up just fine but as soon as I started a new game with Horatio I found myself floating through the Naval Base when I pressed either A or D
From our FAQ:
3. If I use the A or D buttons my character slides and can go through solid objects; why?
The original game didn't have sidestep, so we added it. We tried to include collision detection, but failed.
Easy way to stop it is to not press the buttons ;) (or reassign them).
So that's weird, yes. But cannot be helped.

Second when I was on my way with the first mission about resupplying I met enemy ships, the weird things was that their hull, crew and sail health did not display - don't know if this is a part of the mod.
Also intentional because you're on Realistic Game Mode. See here for details: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/features/arcade-realistic-and-iron-man-game-mode

First I thought it was regular bugs so I went on installing this patch in hope of fixing it. Now all I get is messed up menu's and black backgrounds. I did what you said and deleted both the Program and Resource folders and then installed the patch.
Now that IS weird. Sounds like missing texture files. You DID install Beta 2.1 Full and Beta 2.3 Light first, right?
Can you show a screenshot?

I did install them first, I only got the problem after I installed 2.5

Attachments

• Messed up Menu.png
    Messed up Menu.png
    311.9 KB · Views: 99
Uhm, Jason... is there supposed to be anything in your above post other than that quote of my own...? :confused:

I did install them first, I only got the problem after I installed 2.5
Never seen that before. Looks like all textures and all INI texts are missing from your game folder. Except for the ones included in b14_beta2-5_wip3 .
Recommend to reinstall like this:
1. Install the unmodified game OUTSIDE Program Files
2. Install Build 14 Beta 2.1 Full
3. Install Build 14 Beta 2.3 Light
4. Remove your PROGRAM and RESOURCE\INI folders (NOT the entire RESOURCE folder!) and "options" file from your game folder
5. Install Build 14 Beta 2.5 Test Version 3
Actually, come to think of it, that note on #4 above could be what happened. :facepalm

I always play standard storyline. It has never happened to me in any version of the game I have played. I thought of the chest and giving my personal weapons to one of the officers. Hopefully someone can figure out a permanent fix to get this back to where it was.

Back