• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

No, that is an early version of the type. Later versions would be but they have not been created yet.

1. Locked perks mean you have to do something special before being able to get certain Abilities.
See here for details: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/perks-mod-v2-6-unlockable-perks-readable-books.21355/

2. Perks get unlocked in various ways. On Apprentice and Journeyman difficulty level, there will be a hint in the ability description.

3. I just tried PERK_MULTIPLIER and ALLOW_LOCKED_PERKS on 0, but that all worked as advertised.
You may have to Reinitialize with F11 or Start a New Game.

4. A crewmember on a Stormy Start BEFORE you told any of them to follow you? :shock

Ok thanks.
I had the two crewmen show up on 2 new games but not the third. I am starting with a new 3 times. The perk changes did not work for me but I will try again.

I'm very curious to how People experience the locked perks. A few more will be locked in the comming days

The only locked perk with which I have any experience so far is Advanced Blocking. As it's locked, I can't get Toughness or Professional Swordsman either. The result is that I keep meeting enemies who take one swipe, go straight through my parry and kill me at once - if I'm lucky they need a second hit to finish me off. If I'm really lucky then I do lots of damage with a lucky pistol shot, then hit him a few times before he can get his first swipe in. If not then I shoot him, hit him, hit him, hit him, he hits me and I die. If I win then I find he was using an inferior sword to mine, yet he's doing more damage with one hit than I'm doing with three. This means dungeon crawls involve a lot of saving game, getting killed, reloading, getting killed, reloading, getting killed... And boarding is next to impossible because even if I splat the enemy ship with grapeshot to the point that it surrenders, the enemy captain then decides to fight me anyway, I can't save game right before the fight, I die after one hit, and the whole sea battle was a waste of time. My guess is that as I go up in basic level, so do enemies, and they get extra Melee skill and perks as well whereas I don't.

I've finally found the book, which seems only to be on sale in Jamaica. It certainly wasn't on sale in Barbados or Nevis, which is where the "Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower" story has been sending me. One lucky boarding in which the enemy captain surrendered and actually meant it gave me a ransom; that plus the loot from Kingston's dungeon and selling half the ship's cargo (*) raised me enough cash to get the book and battle armour, and I'd kept four Abilities free for just this moment, so perhaps I can now survive fights a bit longer. So I'll stick with it for now. Besides, a previous attempt on the same story tells me that several fights are either rigged (e.g. you against Simpson) or just videos (e.g. boarding the French ship collecting water), so it's not as critical. I suspect that "Tales of a Sea Hawk" won't be much fun with the locked perks, though. Which means next game I play, it's getting disabled.

(*) Stealing the ship's cargo ought to get me court-martialled. So should disobeying orders to go to Charleston and taking a detour to Kingston. :D

Sounds to me that I should just reduce the rarity and the Price a bit for this book, cause else you have a very hard early game ...

on the other Hand, an beginning captain should probally have Major difficulty with Boarding etc. only if you get experienced you should have less Problems.

on the other Hand, an beginning captain should probally have Major difficulty with Boarding etc. only if you get experienced you should have less Problems.
Other way round. At first fights were relatively easy. Now I'm level 8 and Melee 5, they're nearly impossible. This is why I took a guess that as you gain levels, so do enemies, and they then get more Melee skill and perks than you. By contrast, when I was playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk" with Beta 3, fights were easy at first, got harder for a while, then became easy again as I gained Melee skill and perks.

Note that it may also depend on the Difficulty Level. What level are you playing at, @Grey Roger?
Adventurer.

Hmmm....I decreased the rate at which you get perks but seems you enemys dont, Need to see how that is programmed. Any idea where to look for that Pieter?

My experience so far is that the early game is harder but it gets better after level 15. I have learned in this new game that ambush, treachery, and special weapons can really even the odds. Myself (melee level2) and one officer (melee level1) took out 5 opponents on Jamaica. Find the opium den there.

Ok guys, modders... i have been playing a couple of hours with the WIP Beta 3.2, and i have to say that it looks very nice :D

The improvements on this new patch are very good, and the locked perks doesn't seem to me very bad; indeed i found interesting, making it a challenge ;)
I haven't gone on sail with my ship yet (Playing standard storyline)

But... i have found some things strange...

First of all, and most important... are the officers. The new officers you hire have the abilities messed up a lot... And... i didn't know the officers could just have the perks locked as well as you (Not all the perks). Most important: Between Beta 3.1 and Beta WIP 3.2, i found that the abilities are not corresponding where it should be, or in most cases, the number of abilities is low compairing to the level he/she has. As an example, i found that a Boatswain didn't have long range boarding or musket volley, but it had emergency repairs, instead.

Secondly, the random people you talk in the streets, especially those who give you advices, when there is the posibilty to pick up his purse, it puts almost always on "Slowly, you try to get the purse". I think it should turn the options of the dialogue, because it turns a bit tiring of every time the same.

And finally, i know that there are more perks to be locked, @Levis , but i think these should have a look and be locked:

Turn rate (Unlocking it by reading a book)
Storm Helsman (Stay in 5 storms and survive)
Sense Fairway (Unlocking it by reading a book)
Pre-reloading (Unlocking it by reading a book)
Musket volley (Perhaps serving to a country and having the contribution of the governor?)

These are my ideas, i think you are still working on these.

Anyway, this is only the first things i have noticed on the game. When i play more and more on the game i will discover more :)

The officers have less perks because perks now cost more points to get. They should have as many perks as they can have with the amount of skillpoints they have. altough maybe they spend it on locked perks which then not show. I have to look into that.

Oh! This reminded me of something. When you unlock a perk only the officers with you at the time get unlocked too. I have to cycle through the officers to give them all a perk.

Just checked the code and the assigment of officer perks should go right.
How do you mean cycle trough them hylie?

Let's say you just got the perk where you need to be ambushed and then scare the ambushers. The officers with you get unlocked but the ones on the ship do not. So I have to bring up a new bunch of officers to me and then go looking for another ambush.

Oh, I suppose I should mention that this was with the last patch. With this new patch I only have one officer so far. I have too much going on and get forgetful. :oops:

This shouldn't happen anymore. Please let me know if it still happens.

The officers have less perks because perks now cost more points to get. They should have as many perks as they can have with the amount of skillpoints they have. altough maybe they spend it on locked perks which then not show. I have to look into that.

Maybe that should be the problem.

Where i can find the archive which involves the locked perks?

And is it possible for definitive Beta 3.2 to solve my problem nº2?

I've found a bug on the sidequest of saving Toff's daughter (In which you get the Sabre of Nicholas Sharp); On the port, there's self-dialogue, but no options to choose. Neither going to the ship or not going to the ship. It is just a commentary for yourself. This breaks the sidequest.

Back