• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Completion

Adamski62

HoO Team Member
3D Artist
Animator
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
Hi,

How about we all stop modding new ideas and all muck in to finish and tidy up what's already been put into the game?
We have a very very good game with a few glitches, whitch can be solved with our currant coders, I will replace currant char models with,if need be,movie style chars.
Then we will be able to put out a complete mod 100%.
:cheers
damski.

I agree- it's about time we got some organisation going on.
At the moment it's very difficult to see where we are with the current beta, since there are so many new ideas, glitches and add-ons appearing every day! It's highly confusing, and we really should try to prioritise a bit more.:wacko:

The way I see it though, there are still several things preventing us from making real progress:
1) BUGS are still numerous and frequent
2) Some storylines have a long way to go until completion
3) We're getting distracted by new ideas and forgetting to finish old ones
4) We're seeing too many of these: :modding and not enough of these: :woot
5) Perhaps most importantly, there aren't many available modders left!

I know, some of these things can't be helped, but perhaps we should start making a proper 'to do' list prioritising our work.
It doesn't have to be anything serious with strict deadlines, but it should at least be a guideline for anyone who is unsure what to do.
I noticed there was one made in the modders' forum WAY back in Feb 2009, but I have no idea how up-to-date it is.
And I believe such a list of priorities should be made available for ALL community members to see.
I know we're a LONG way off completion, but doing this would get us on the right track.:onya
That's my opinion anyway.:shrug

We need to think about which stuff to keep and which stuff to dump. I say get rid of every VCO ship (apart from the four masted galleon).

That's a good idea; if something's not up to scratch, it should be improved or removed.
Some of those VCO ships just aren't up to our standards. :no
So choosing what to keep is one priority. That's a start!

VERY much agreed. I've been trying to get people into a "finishing" mode for quite some time and will definitly support this in every way I can.

For the To-Do list, the one posted is very much out of date.
Please see the "Features of the Build Mod" thread instead:
http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/15438-features-of-the-build-mod/

And definitly before the release of Build 14 Beta 2, we should do a major clean-up and get rid of sub-standard content.
It'll increase the overall quality of the mod and DECREASE the filesize. WHEEEEE! :dance

I'd VERY much like to see some of the character and location modeling I've seen to be finished and released,
most notably SuperDurnius' swamp, SuperDurnius' sand dunes background for the Black Pearl World's End scene and Damski's Tia Dalma.

What are VCO ships? I did an unsuccessful search.

As an end user, I say fix the bugs and repair the standard storyline. This is where most newbies start and after all these years it is still bugged. After one full day with no ctd's, I had 5 ctd's yesterday.

Some of the ships have bad player walk files. One can not sail a ship if you can not see over the railings, or can walk under the deck, or can walk right off of the ship. How hard is it to repair these files?

What are VCO ships? I did an unsuccessful search.
Yeah, that confused me for a while, too.xD: It means Voyage Century Online ships, which were ported to PotC, most of which are noticeably poor quality. (e.g. the Endeavour/Dauntless model)

As an end user, I say fix the bugs and repair the standard storyline. This is where most newbies start and after all these years it is still bugged. After one full day with no ctd's, I had 5 ctd's yesterday.
True, the bugs really need ironing out of that storyline. I mean it's a bit embarrassing to still see bugs in the seven-year-old storyline!

Some of the ships have bad player walk files. One can not sail a ship if you can not see over the railings, or can walk under the deck, or can walk right off of the ship. How hard is it to repair these files?
Um, not easy from what I hear. :no

The VCO ships are the main offenders when it comes to wrong player walk data.
If we remove those altogether, that particular problem will be solved too. :cheeky

There are two ships in particular that I am thinking about. One is a (methinks) 3rd rate of 70 or so guns with a bowsprit that sticks out almost horizontally, and the other was originally a merchant but is now a light east indiaman. The indiaman has a very nice bow ornament holding a purple heart. It would be nice if that ship could be repaired.

Yep VCO ships are out for sure; is there a list of them somewhere?
Or if not, perhaps we need one so we can go through and decide if any are worth keeping/ modifying.

@miklkit, if by "One is a (methinks) 3rd rate of 70 or so guns with a bowsprit that sticks out almost horizontally", you mean the 'warship11' model, I agree that one looks a bit odd.
Not sure which indiaman you mean but I'll check that one. :yes

There's no proper list, but I know which ones they are.
I'll see if I can go through the ships some day and give you the information.

In ships_init.c look for ships added by Yo Ho Ho. Most of those are from VCO.

Welcome back Experienced Captain! :cheers

The big ship looks good to me, but the only time I captured it I was stuck in one spot and couldn't see over the railing. The small one used to be a Merchantman and is now called an Indiaman. Here is a screenie I took by walking right off the front of the ship.

Thanks Pieter I'll do some digging around for them. :mm

Welcome back Experienced Captain! :cheers
Cheers miklkit! I was only away for a week, yet I was still thinking about PA! from time to time.

The big ship looks good to me, but the only time I captured it I was stuck in one spot and couldn't see over the railing...
Here is a screenie I took by walking right off the front of the ship.
To me, the hull looks fine, but the deck is lacking in details and just looks... well, daft.
Personally I've never been in a position to capture one, but I've always wanted to just to test her out. I had no idea about being stuck in one spot on the deck.
So you walked OFF the ship? Man overboard! :shock
That sounds like a walk file needs tending to, though I suspect that's not the only one. :modding

Note that there's a difference between shipWalk files and walk patch information.
The new tool back84 made was for the shipWalk files that are for the crew on deck.
The walk patch information used for the 1st person player camera is part of the collision detection and can be fixed only be exporting with Maya.
Since made of the VCO ships were not properly exported through Maya, they use non-matching collision detection from other ships. :facepalm

Note that there's a difference between shipWalk files and walk patch information.
I knew there was a difference, I just didn't specify enough. :eek:ops

Since made of the VCO ships were not properly exported through Maya, they use non-matching collision detection from other ships. :facepalm
So it's generally easier if they're removed completely rather than fixed, I guess?

I just went through the ships_init.c and saw many ships that will be removed. Some of them I like(the Indiaman) and had hoped that the walk patch could be repaired. One thing they seem to have in common is very nice figureheads. Maybe they could be cannibalized.

Back