• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Completion

At the moment, Will Turner's Flying Dutchman is indeed nothing like the movie version of her.
We just kept the Russian-sourced edition (with PA! modifications) because I kinda like it and she's at least different.
ZarethPL made the movie-accurate version and said he was going to make Will Turner's version too,
but he never did get round to doing it. This ship is indeed fully unused in storylines and such.

I haven't actually visited the "Batavia Werf" for absolute ages.
When I get back home, I might actually do that and ask for any plans they might have of the Batavia and Seven Provincien and any other ships.
That'll be halfway into October at the earliest though...

The Santissima Trinidad was ZarethPL's model, or am I REALLY off my rocker??? :?

And thanks for correcting my historical statement there, Bava!
I never did claim to be very hisotircally knowledgeable... :wp

For Endeavour and Dauntless needs to make only one other color schemes and even small changes to my HMS Victory. Should go relatively quickly.
So you're saying you could possibly make them from your Victory?
OK by me, but certainly small changes would be needed (e.g. the figurehead and the quarterdeck) to make them less like the actual Victory. :yes

That's an interesting thought about large ships, but I agree with miklkit that they are highly impressive and an integral part of our variety in-game. At least they don't appear in random encounters too often, which would be even more unrealistic than their presence in the first place. But how can you resist firing all those guns... :shock

At the moment, Will Turner's Flying Dutchman is indeed nothing like the movie version of her.
We just kept the Russian-sourced edition (with PA! modifications) because I kinda like it and she's at least different.
ZarethPL made the movie-accurate version and said he was going to make Will Turner's version too,
but he never did get round to doing it.
This is what really annoys me sometimes; this site is full of unfinished projects and mysteriously vanishing modders, because of whom said projects remain unfinished.
It's a sad truth, which was only augmented by what I found yesterday while searching for images of the 'uncursed' Dutchman:
http://fc06.devianta...njourmonami.jpg
That was submitted in 2008 by bonjourmonami, who also seems to have disappeared from our site. It would have filled the gap perfectly, but I guess that's life. :shrug

And I think the Santisima Trinidad WAS ZarethPL's project, but the associated thread sort of died a while back...

Haha.. You are right, it is indeed iresistable to fire those guns, but don't forget that YOU could be the one that repairing 100+ holes and leakes HAHAHAHA!!

@ Pieter Boelen and Experienced Captain. Sorry Santissima Trinidad is ZarethPL's project. Last update from January.
Now and this is my Version from the Trinidad :shrug

santisima_001.jpg

I hope ZarethPL builds Trinidad done. Would be nice

That picture from bonjourmonami rather looks like the Russian Flying Dutchman that we already have as uncursed version in the modpack.
The main difference in the movie between both editions is that Will's version has golden lions around the gunports instead of scary faces.

If my ship's not huge and powerful, it's smaller and manoeuvrable, therefore I won't usually get pummelled by one. In theory. :cheeky

@ Pgargon, the Trinidad certainly has the right shape, at least!

That picture from bonjourmonami rather looks like the Russian Flying Dutchman that we already have as uncursed version in the modpack.
The main difference in the movie between both editions is that Will's version has golden lions around the gunports instead of scary faces.
I assure you the two ships are totally different. :no
Here's another view of what was bonjourmonami's WIP:
uncursed_dutchman_wip2_by_bonjourmonami.jpg

And here's a screenshot of the Russian one from within GM Viewer:

[attachment=5380:Russian_dutchman.jpg]

Quite different when you see them from those angles, don't you think? :shrug
Although, neither version has golden lions around the gunports...
I dare say, if golden lions are the main difference, would it not be easier, then, to just change a couple of details on our cursed Dutchman and make a new texture? That way you get exactly the same shape hull and rigging, but can still distinguish between them.
On thing which bothers me about our current uncursed Dutchman, is that it has somehow acquired stern guns, which the cursed version doesn't have... :?
However, she's not a high priority, as I said, and I'd personally rather see a new Endeavour or English Galleon first.

Ah, yes; that one. Now I remember. :facepalm
I vaguely recall that version was released at some point, but we replaced her once we got the movie-accurate version.
That one's not movie-accurate either. The movie-version looks almost like the one we've got but just with different gunports.
The easiest would be to take that version, make some modifications, and we're done.
But that's easier when it's ZarethPL doing it from the source files because editing a GM file doesn't really work that well.

I vaguely recall that version was released at some point, but we replaced her once we got the movie-accurate version.
That one's not movie-accurate either. The movie-version looks almost like the one we've got but just with different gunports.
The easiest would be to take that version, make some modifications, and we're done.
But that's easier when it's ZarethPL doing it from the source files because editing a GM file doesn't really work that well.
Well (imo) she looks far more like the movie-accurate Dutchman than the Russian one does, so changing that one would make sense. :yes
I would *assume* that it's on the FTP, then. But as usual, the only person 'qualified' to properly mess around with it is busy.
So that's one to put on the back-burner for now, I guess.

Have a look here: http://pyratesahoy.com/potc/Bonjourmonami/Flying%20Dutchmans/

It's still there! Well that's one good thing. :woot
I downloaded her out of curiosity to have a look, and I reckon she seems fine, except for the colour scheme.
I guess it wouldn't be too hard just to retexture her, adding some fine details (like the golden lion gunports). :shrug
She seems accurate enough to me, anyway.

How to add that detail though? I'm also thinking that when compared to the Cursed Dutchman, the stern isn't very detailed nor accurate.

How to add that detail though? I'm also thinking that when compared to the Cursed Dutchman, the stern isn't very detailed nor accurate.
Can't they be added by changing the textures? Much easier than editing the model, I'd guess.
And at least the stern is closer to the tall thin shape than the Russian fat one. That looks a bit odd. xD:

Through texture? Depends on whether the gunports are textured or not. On the Cursed Dutchman, they're modeled.
The stern IS more accurate, very true. I just like the Russian one detail/colour-wise.
And I never was much of a fan of the high-stern fleut design, even though it's a Dutch design. :facepalm
But, yes, it'd be good to have a more accurate uncursed Dutchman.

Through texture? Depends on whether the gunports are textured or not. On the Cursed Dutchman, they're modeled.
The stern IS more accurate, very true. I just like the Russian one detail/colour-wise.
They don't look modelled... I think. :?
And that's what I'm saying about this 'new' uncursed model: it needs improving to at least the level of detail (texture-wise) as the Russian one, before it can safely replace it.
I'm sure that's achievable for a texturer... but now you're going to tell me they're all busy; I can tell! xD:
Luckily the ship isn't in use in-game, so I guess this can be done whenever anyone wants and is able to do it, really.
I mean, AWE isn't going to be finished for a while...

Hello PA community.

I played the build mod last year and very much enjoyed it (however i did get lots of CTD but it didn't really annoy me too much) Being a person that just gets on with it rather then reporting my issue i never made an account. Eventually i got bored and quit playing.

I found myself wondering what to do next for a while now. i Have plenty of free time on my hands when im not looking for employment.

Basically what im asking is for that chance to help you guys out and learn some new skills along the way.

I have no previous experience when it comes to coding, modelling or doing textures but as i said, i have the free time to learn and eventually to dedicate to helping towards the mod and any future mods you may have going.

All i'd need is a point in the right direction, some guidance along the way whilst im learning and im sure id eventually become a good asset.

Im willing to try anything, be it learning to code, learning to make models (sounds the most fun) or even doing skins.

Any takers?

(also i know this may have been the completely wrong place to have posted this, apologies. But i didn't really want to make a new thread anywhere.)

Welcome mate! :gday

For starters, you can go to - Build alpha and brainstorming, tutorials, see what you can learn there, mostly the basics then someone more experienced will guide you a bit along the way.

Good luck! :cheers

(also i know this may have been the completely wrong place to have posted this, apologies. But i didn't really want to make a new thread anywhere.)
No need to apologise; new members are always good, and would certainly help with 'Build 14 completion'. ;)

Personally, I'd say you should try your hand at what interests you most, that way you'll get the most out of it.
For example, if you'd like to learn ship modelling (I would too, but I have too many other priorities), then go to the 'Storm Engine Modelling' forum. There you'll find tutorials, and many talented modelers who'd be willing to help.

Basically, have a look around the forums- you never know what you'll find that might spark an interest! :doff

Welcome on board, mate! We can always use an enthusiastic hand! :woot

One thing we definitly could use some help with is this:
http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/13281-making-capture-town-boarding-locators/
But if there's something else you'd like to do, just let us know what and we'll help you do it. :yes

What ships are still under consideration for removal/replacement? Some VCO ships? All VCO ships? Any others? A lot of new ships have been released recently. How do they fit into the lineup?

Back